Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 60

Author Topic: I have G.INP on ECI  (Read 228814 times)

WWWombat

• Kitizen
Re: I have G.INP on ECI
« Reply #765 on: June 07, 2016, 09:23:24 AM »

Interesting gamble for someone to try. What's the minimum payment and contract term for BT TV?

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #766 on: June 07, 2016, 09:37:17 AM »

ECI G.INP Mk1 (2016)

I ordered BT TV they gave me back G.INP  ;D

Have you got an unlocked modem to be 100% sure?

MikeZ

« Reply #767 on: June 07, 2016, 10:01:07 AM »

ECI G.INP Mk1 (2016)

Are you sure that DLM hasn't just put you back on fastpath?

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #768 on: June 07, 2016, 10:16:28 AM »

My line was never stable on fastpath, I was always interleaved. If I get chance I will put the TP-Link back on and telnet in.

forceware

« Reply #769 on: June 07, 2016, 01:26:07 PM »

I see the basic package is free. Did you get that one or the HD one? If you get g.inp for the free package I'll definitely sign up.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #770 on: June 07, 2016, 07:51:37 PM »

I'd love to see confirmation of that, but I would be very surprised. I'm subscribed to a multicast service with talktalk and my g.inp was removed on my line alongside most others. I'd guess adding BTTV has come with a DLM reset and your just on fastpath . would love to be proved wrong though.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #771 on: June 07, 2016, 07:58:38 PM »

Hi, I forgot that my TP-Link does show some stats via telnet but not detailed G.INP info. So I had to borrow a Billion 8800NL, luckily I used to have one and I still had a backupsettings.conf settings backup file, so it was easy to connect up quickly & easily.

Yes my line now has G.INP  :P

I ordered the BT TV UHD package - £16 per month.

Ornum

« Reply #772 on: June 07, 2016, 09:11:12 PM »

Bit if G.INP is broken, why would they even enable it on your line just because you ordered BT TV?

Maybe they've fixed the problem and are rolling it back out and you were just one of the first to get it?

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #773 on: June 07, 2016, 09:21:23 PM »

Who knows. No changes on the users already uploading to mydslstats at the mo.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #774 on: June 07, 2016, 09:59:35 PM »

I think the way openreach have made this decision is that IPTV services gain the most from reduced error count, so they are left as g.inp capable, but everyone else with the higher overall faults been reported have had it disabled.

Ornum

« Reply #775 on: June 08, 2016, 02:32:29 AM »

I don't understand how streaming video benefits from G.INP more than say, time critical applications such as gaming. Just what exactly does streaming video gain from G.INP? You don't get a huge increase in download speed but your latency gets cut into three.

As a customer, I want G.INP back on. I'll be phoning them tomorrow and kicking up a stink since G.INP obviously CAN be enabled on a per line basis, and my line was brilliant with it on.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #776 on: June 08, 2016, 02:42:20 AM »

On IPTV errors = video artefacts etc. as the transmission is live.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ornum

« Reply #777 on: June 08, 2016, 02:56:13 AM »

I've never had an IPTV service so I'm not up to scratch, but I assumed it would just buffer for a second if the download wasn't capable.

Either way, it's still not time critical information.

I wonder if I order BTTV if i'll get put on G.INP.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #778 on: June 08, 2016, 11:38:58 AM »

IPTV, whether live or streamed, is not carried by a protected protocol (such as TCP) where dropped packets would be re-transmitted by the far end. If a packet containing IPTV gets dropped - for whatever reason; bit-errors, congestion etc - it causes a glitch in the video/audio.

It doesn't matter what amount of buffering occurs - that glitch can never be recovered.

G.INP activates limited retransmission across the weakest part of the whole end-to-end segment (whether multicast or unicast): your copper connection. It isn't quite a guarantee that the packet gets through (which TCP would do), but it improves the odds no end.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #779 on: June 08, 2016, 11:45:30 AM »

Bit if G.INP is broken, why would they even enable it on your line just because you ordered BT TV?

It looks like it was fundamentally broken on a few lines, but the more common issue makes it look like it had a negative impact on either statistics or on the sync speed. However, it looks like, with the more common issues, it kept to its job of getting packets through less broken.

The balance that Openreach had to strike was that, while things looked bad in some senses, they still improved in the important aspects.

Having a TV package was perhaps enough to swing the balance. Quality of service becomes viewed slightly differently.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 60