Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Catty Immigrants  (Read 3925 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Catty Immigrants
« on: February 26, 2016, 10:23:21 PM »

As there a few feline lovers(and owners) on the forum I thought I would share this.
My son,D.I.L and now 18 month old first grandchild use to live and work in Hong Kong(well grandson didn't work) ;D, Anyway during their 8 year stay in HK they adopted 2 rescue kittens(Narla and Vincent).As they lived in a high rise apartment the cats were classed as 'house cats',I'm not sure if that can be deemed as correct terminology  but their lifestyle is better than the 'alternative' :'(
They decided that when they left HK to come home for good in August of last year the cats had to come too.They were air freighted directly into Heathrow and then brought by courier up to Sheffield.The cost of this little jolly was approximately £2000 !!!
The cats are now both settled in their new home and seem very contented.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Catty Immigrants
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 11:32:32 PM »

Their kitteh kindness will, undoubtedly, be rewarded.  :)

I wonder if you would be able to link to some photographs of immigrants, please?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 01:53:28 AM »

When we left London in 1998 and moved to Skye, we took seven cats with us, including two totally new kittens. We put them all in a Guinea-pig hutch, two-storeys, jammed underneath a big chair for stability at the back of a huge Luton box van, with the bottom inch or two of the roll-up door open for fresh air and water bowl in the corner of the hutch. Two Guinea-pigs were evicted to a cat-box temporarily. The journey with various stops was about 22 hours. Some cats took to the upper storey some to the lower and the new kittens happily spat at the rest while soon having to get to know all the others. We still have one of the seven with us: Orange, one of the then new kittens, will soon be eighteen years old. As I write this, he is half asleep, but absolutely purring his head off, soo loud, trying to sit on Janet's head while she sleeps.

When we got to our new house, the cats descended from the van, went sauntering off around the outside of the house, doing a complex perimeter inspection, and then all went inside. New home adopted.

So our migration cost nothing really, as we had to have the van, full of furniture, anyway.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 01:23:45 PM »

I wonder if you would be able to link to some photographs of immigrants, please?

I concur with b*cat.  'Immigrants' also covers an up to date photo of the wee young man please.   I bet he's growing fast atm :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 01:33:57 PM »

we took seven cats with us, including two totally new kittens. We put them all in a Guinea-pig hutch, two-storeys, jammed underneath a big chair for stability at the back of a huge Luton box van,

I had a giggle at the image in my mind.   Poor kittehs, but at least all arrived safely.

I dont think I could imagine moving and not taking mine.    Zigs would be distraught,  he's like a permanent attachment to my left arm.   
Since he's been poorly he's become a real shadow.  I sit at the PC and he cuddles my left arm.   Sit on the sofa and hes there.   He used to be very good and only slept at the bottom of the bed, but now he sneaks up in between my arm and body so that his head rests on my shoulder.  I cant even go to the loo without him jumping on my knee.   We think some of it may relate to the amount of weight he's lost (he was only 2.9 kg last week) add on that his belly fur is shaved due to scans and xrays, so its possible he feels the cold more.
Zoe OTOH gets more distraught if Ziggy isnt here than me.  When he goes to kitteh hospital she cries and wanders round the house looking for him. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Starman

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 02:39:18 PM »

He used to be very good and only slept at the bottom of the bed, but now he sneaks up in between my arm and body so that his head rests on my shoulder.

Funny my 18 month old British Blue Monty never used to lay on the bed but he has started in the last few months laying at the bottom attacking my feet  :-[

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 02:57:16 PM »

haha,  thats the start, he'll be waiting to see how much he can get away with.  :D
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 10:57:52 AM »

This is Narla

And Vincent

« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 11:09:14 AM by UncleUB »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 11:49:21 AM »

I concur with b*cat.  'Immigrants' also covers an up to date photo of the wee young man please.   I bet he's growing fast atm :)

This is my little grandson,Charlie ,he is now 19  month old,the photo was taken at Christmas 2015.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 05:32:01 PM »

Thank you for all the pictures . . .

The attentive one. The sleepy one. And the one with your hair (perhaps)?  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 07:11:20 PM »

Awww he's gorgeous, just look at those blond curls :)
I bet you are so glad they are closer now so you can see more of him <3

And the one with your hair (perhaps)?

I suspect Narla (or is it Vincent?) may take more after UB ;)
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 06:44:25 PM »

Charlie is the spit double of what his dad was like at his age,as for my hair,just glad to be holding onto it at my age. ;D But my hair is also fair but not blond like Charlies.
As for the cats they are residing in my ex wife's conservatory at present and are proving a bit of a handful.She wasn't too pleased when she found out they had destroyed her 40 year old Christmas cactus. :o
We look after Charlie most week day afternoons and he is also a handful(what children aren't at that age).Its not made matters easy as I'm recovering from knee replacement surgery.I will need my other one doing sometime later in the year so my mobility is not very good.
I'm so glad to have all the family home after nearly 8 years living in HK.They are both working full time at present,they have enough saved for a deposit on a house but need to be in employment(I think it is at least 6 months)before they can get a mortgage. :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 09:47:31 PM »

But my hair is also fair but not blond like Charlies.

Apologies - I was recalling a convo many years ago about my daughters hair colour which was strawberry blonde (inherited from my dad who was a red head) and I thought you said you were too.   :-[
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 06:51:03 PM »

But my hair is also fair but not blond like Charlies.

Apologies - I was recalling a convo many years ago about my daughters hair colour which was strawberry blonde (inherited from my dad who was a red head) and I thought you said you were too.   :-[

No need to apologise Kitz. :flower:

Tbh in my 20s I had a beard and it was quite red.My existing  moustache was quite a red/gingery colour until old father time decided to replace most of the red hairs with grey ones. :oldman:  ;D
By the way how is your daughter getting along,not heard from her on her for quite some time. :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 07:20:26 PM »

I had a beard and it was quite red.My existing  moustache was quite a red/gingery colour

Ahh, perhaps it was that you mentioned which I was recalling. 

how is your daughter getting along,

[proud mum time] She's doing good thanks.  Recently promoted to a job she's worked hard for and deserves.   :)

Downside is she will be moving away.  I shall miss her not being local because we are close, but its for the best and tbh she needed to get away to be able to move on from what happened last year with the death of a colleague which hit her very hard.
-----

anything