Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Line reset - in training ? - is this normal ?  (Read 1447 times)

dc8

• Just arrived
Line reset - in training ? - is this normal ?
« on: February 20, 2016, 09:55:26 PM »

Following a few weeks of problems with my connection and speed my ISP has run tests and eventually a BT engineer attended. Engineer re-wired a couple of places and fitted a new faceplate. We have even left the wire for the extensions in the house disconnected in an attempt to make things as good as possible.

Line was reset yesterday afternoon after I complained to my ISP that there had been no improvement since the BT engineers visit a week before.

I have also fitted a new filter and shielded RJ11 cable for adslnation.

Attached is a graph of what I have basically been seeing since the line reset about 16:30 on Friday.

Is this normal behaviour or is it indicative that there are still issues with this line/connection ?

There seems to be a link between speed/power and SNR and also if I am actually using the internet to any great degree. Every time I try and download something, the SNR drops and the disconnections and speeds start to flop around.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 09:58:23 PM by dc8 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Line reset - in training ? - is this normal ?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 07:23:57 PM »

Certainly does look like you are having a bumpy ride and that all is not well.    :(

if I am actually using the internet to any great degree.

Using the internet shouldn't really have a direct bearing on your SNR.  The obvious pointer in that situation could be REIN from the PC? :hmm:
The graph doesnt really look like typical REIN through something being switched on.   
One of the guys more into electronicy stuff may be able to make some suggestions?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 07:26:02 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Line reset - in training ? - is this normal ?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 08:13:58 PM »

Hmm . . . How did I miss this thread?  ???

After a quick glance of that RouterStats multi-graph (and I admit I cannot fathom which curve is which parameter, as there is no legend visible), it appears to show the effect of one (or more) defective joints -- either HR or semi-conductive.

I wonder if there are lengths of aluminium cabling in that circuit? If so, I would be inclined to closely inspect any aluminium/copper joints . . . Any joint between an aluminium conductor and another metal will always be suspect.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 08:16:30 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything