Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Will Ofcom break up BT? Probably not - by Bryan Glick  (Read 2107 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Will Ofcom break up BT? Probably not - by Bryan Glick
« on: February 19, 2016, 08:16:12 PM »

Will Ofcom break up BT? Probably not - but it must enable fibre broadband fit for the future

Next week sees an announcement that will set the scene for the next 20 years of the UK's digital infrastructure.

Ofcom's review of the communications market is due out within days and its potential impact spreads well beyond the telecoms companies affected by the watchdog's regulatory canvas.

It's interesting that the author seems to think the report will be out next week. I hope so. Then everyone can focus on whatever becomes a reality.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Will Ofcom break up BT? Probably not - by Bryan Glick
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 02:08:46 PM »

February has been brandished around for quite a while, yet something I read more recently seemed to imply it may be delayed.   
I, myself, think the decision has already been made and they are dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

That is quite a well balanced article.   The journalist admits he is pro split, but admits there are equally good arguments against.

Not sure about this though.

For a start, Ofcom might push for full unbundling of BT's fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) services - there are complex technical considerations to doing so, but such a move is likely to generate more competition in FTTC than the current "virtual unbundling" offered to the likes of Sky and TalkTalk.

Theres been some quite strong arguments by some why LLU was a mistake when it came to the future of broadband.  We should be looking at future products such as FTTdp.  Doing the equivalent at the cab could be the equivalent of LLU with added technical reasons such as how it may affect vectoring.  In fact Im sure Ive seen something somewhere about a year ago, that calls for virtual unbundling was causing delays with vectoring and BT?

All seems to have gone quiet on vectoring atm and Openreach now seem to be more interested in fttdp... so would virtual unbundling be a move on what could soon become older technology.     

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 08:33:47 PM »

As far as I can see the UK government seems happy with the results so far by Openreach and plenty more to come by 2025, and don't think for a second Ofcom has any sway in these matters.

I don't normally get into these sort of topics because most of the time it's all set in stone by bureaucrat's and yeah I wish it was run by burakkucat see what i did there.

No point in getting ones self stressed over things that are out of are control  ;)

« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 08:39:37 PM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 09:22:21 PM »

. . . set in stone by bureaucrat's and yeah I wish it was run by burakkucat see what i did there.

I did, indeed, and had a little chuckle.  ;)

I do have my plans as to what should be done with the BT Group plc . . . but it would take quite a while for me to type everything out in a clear, concise and logical manner.  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 10:02:25 PM »

Ive heard the on the grapevine that the Ofcom report will be published on the next Thursday (25th of Feb).
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 10:20:45 PM »

Oooh thanks for that. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 01:28:39 AM »

Maybe this OR break up should be placed along side the UK EU referendum

European Union: in or out
OpenReach: stay or break

Could Kitz set-up a voting system for both  :cool:

anything