Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sync/SNR Testing  (Read 1980 times)

jaydog

• Reg Member
Sync/SNR Testing
« on: March 23, 2008, 07:57:46 PM »

Check this out!
My ISP increased my snr as I was having disconnections with my 4mb connection, so now on a 3.5mb connection, its all fine with a sync of around 4100.

If i resync in the morning, its just enough to give me a 4mb connection - I sync at about 4700.

The following is what happened tonight, after rebooting this morning!

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/4603/noisemargin2008mar23194fj7.jpg

I have no idea what is causing the noise! It's always between 7.30pm and 8pm!

I've cut the ring wire. I have a high quality filter.

The only thing I havent tried is seeing if I get disconnected via the test socket to see if a filtered faceplate would solve this - but in all honesty, theres no point at the test socket as I don't use the other telephone socket at all! Plus, I never see any diff in syncs at the test socket.

Also, it can't be anything to do with my internal wiring as it does it the same time each day.

Would everyone agree this is something I cannot solve, and that I am best to just stick with 3.5mb and have done with it?

Also, my SNR - since BT lowered this, if i remained syncd for 14 days, am i right in syaing my SNR will return to normal? Because surely if it does, and I reboot, my sync will shoot up and I will experience a disconnection each night again on 4mb??!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Sync/SNR Testing
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 09:14:28 PM »

It's not terribly unusual to get that sort of variation in noise margin over a period of time. Finding the cause of the drop around 7:30 pm would take some detective work, and might well be something you can't do anything about. I do rather agree that your best option is to stick with what you've got. I don't think there's a lot of danger of the target noise margin getting lowered again any time soon, as the exchange DLM process will presumably be aware that the noise margin falls to zero or less at times.
  Eric

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Sync/SNR Testing
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 12:59:31 AM »

You mentioned "the other telephone socket" so in which case you have extention wiring coming from the master socket. Here In all honesty it's always worth while trying from the test socket at some point. The only time this will have no potencial to make any difference is if there is no extention wiring coming from the socket. Other wise there is a moderate possibility the extention wiring and/or the socket could be the cause of the problem with or without the bell wire.

If the problem persists, do try the test socket. If this bears no difference then the full adsl face plate will not make any difference either. If you can plug the router in the master socket with face palte connected & look at the stats. Ususaly this should be the same as the extention socket if thats what you were using. Then try the same asap within the test socket, any fair change in the stats then you have a big clue. The other thing to bear in mind is also compaire stats including the errors over a similar synced time period (Thanks to Kitz for letting me know errors are culmative over time as I didn't know, the APtS tester BT engineers use only measure errors over the set test period)

anything