Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Moving to FTTC, advice please :)  (Read 13448 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: Moving to FTTC, advice please :)
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2016, 12:00:18 AM »

So, is there such a thing as "low contention" business fibre products and "normal" as there is on ADSL?

I'm with Eclipse business  http://www.eclipse.net.uk/products/connect/broadband/
tell them TICKMIKE  sent you and you should get a good deal with them.  :)

I'm on a ADSL2 long line, they have a uk Technical service which is very good , it takes them about 4 sec to answer the phone  :o.
Eclipse get a lot of awards for there services.
I been with them for years, I can not fault them ( although in my case I do have some local problems on my line which they are looking into with me).
Reliable, no problem with contention, free usage after 11 pm  :)
I pay about £17 for my ADSL2, free phone calls, up to 100 email address's, free uk domain name also free Eclipse domain name.
I still have my BT line but get free phone calls from Eclipse with my package.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 12:35:01 AM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Chris P Duck

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 08:09:01 AM »

I meant is that the case on fibre ;)
FTTC 80mb/20mb |  Infinity2
Exchange- Colwyn Bay WNBC | ISP BT
Ping ms 21
Download Mbps 68.15
Upload Mbps 18.56

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 08:42:41 AM »

Quote from: Chris P Duck
ADSL2+ Attn 46.5db/27.7db | Target SN6db

I'll be watching this thread carefully to see how you get as your line appears to be worse than mine and when my cabinet was enabled a few months ago I was advised by my ISP that I would be SLOWER on FTTC than on my current ADSL 2+ package and they recommended I stayed with the ADSL 2+.

Weird that my line stats appear to be better than yours on Adsl 2+ but your predicted FTTC speed is great - I guess you must be much closer to your cabinet than I am to mine!

Advice I got on here was very helpful, ultimately I decided to stick with ADSL 2+ after was told I had to commit to a minimum contract of 12 months of FTTC by Zen.

I hope your upgrade goes well :)

Chunks

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 08:56:58 AM »

Is that Zen who advised you to stay on ADSL......Something weird is going on at Zen.

They are offering 6 months free on ADSL2+ but (over on TBB) there seems to be niggling problems on FTTC with slow downloads high latency etc.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2016, 09:04:36 AM »

Advice I got on here was very helpful, ultimately I decided to stick with ADSL 2+ after was told I had to commit to a minimum contract of 12 months of FTTC by Zen.

There are other ISPs who offer 1 month FTTC contracts - Pulse 8 for example - if you wanted to try FTTC and switch back to ADSL if it didn't suit you

No personal experience of Pulse 8 but there seems to be a lot of positive feedback on TBB.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2016, 09:20:50 AM »

There are other ISPs who offer 1 month FTTC contracts - Pulse 8 for example - if you wanted to try FTTC and switch back to ADSL if it didn't suit you

No personal experience of Pulse 8 but there seems to be a lot of positive feedback on TBB.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack Chris P Duck's thread.  Yes Zen advised me not to upgrade (downgrade?).  I will definitely checkout Pulse 8, I probably need to phone them up thought as their speed estimator says the usual :

I currently get 1080/9100 on ADSL 2+.  I'll post separately if I decide to do anything and try not to clutter up Chrises thread any further as I know its bad manners.

o7

Chunks

Chris P Duck

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2016, 09:42:13 AM »

Quote from: Chris P Duck
ADSL2+ Attn 46.5db/27.7db | Target SN6db

Weird that my line stats appear to be better than yours on Adsl 2+ but your predicted FTTC speed is great - I guess you must be much closer to your cabinet than I am to mine!

Yes, cabinet is pretty much a good stones throw away :) Just waiting on a response from Timico (not holding my breath) as they promised to investigate a possible fault this week. Gut feeling is that they are just telling me what I want to hear having recently complained about poor customer service.
Ping ms 21
Download Mbps 68.15
Upload Mbps 18.56

Chris P Duck

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2016, 06:58:06 PM »

I've had a an email from Timico today "All our fibre services are business grade services, charged at residential prices"

So what is business FTTC and what is residential FTTC
Ping ms 21
Download Mbps 68.15
Upload Mbps 18.56

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2016, 07:07:28 PM »

Talk to Andrews and Arnold, see http://aa.net.uk/broadband-home1.html

You can read about them on Ispreview too.

I'll be happy to answer questions, as of course will they and so will their existing customers who are available to chat to on IRC : http://aa.net.uk/kb-irc.html

They are very good,been with them 18 months now on ADSL which gives me (on a good day)just under 3meg.Our exchange is finally getting ready for FTTC and is in the beta testing stage so as soon as I can I will  ;D  ...Not cheap though(but neither is a 30 year old tawny port)  ;D

Chris P Duck

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2016, 03:07:13 PM »

Apologies for repeating...
So is there really "business" FTTC and "residential" FTTC connections in a similar fashion to normal/low contention ADSL?

Also, I note my ISP uses the TalkTalk LLU in my exchange, am I right in assuming a move to FTTC would be an entirely Openreach connection or would TT have some kind of input on it? I'm sure I read something somewhere about TT managed FTTC.
Ping ms 21
Download Mbps 68.15
Upload Mbps 18.56

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2016, 03:19:44 PM »

Apologies for repeating...
So is there really "business" FTTC and "residential" FTTC connections in a similar fashion to normal/low contention ADSL?

Also, I note my ISP uses the TalkTalk LLU in my exchange, am I right in assuming a move to FTTC would be an entirely Openreach connection or would TT have some kind of input on it? I'm sure I read something somewhere about TT managed FTTC.

The FTTC equipment in the cabinet is controlled by Openreach. Each FTTC Cabinet has lots of bandwidth back to the exchange so you should not suffer any contention at this point.

As your ISP uses TalkTalk LLU, Openreach would hand off the traffic at the exchange to Talktalk to deal with (any connection you experience will be when the traffic is either on TalkTalk's backhaul or at your ISP)

Both BT Wholesale and Talktalk offer a mix of business/residential services - they can tag IP traffic belonging to business lines as having a higher priority within their own network.

In general, the comments I have heard about other ISPs using Talktalk Business for backhaul have been decent - its when you use TalkTalk as an ISP directly things seem to not go as well..
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 03:23:23 PM by gt94sss2 »

Chris P Duck

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2016, 10:05:45 PM »

When I moved to my current ISP I went from a 6 meg ADSL synch (21cn I believe) to a 4.5 meg synch which is on TT LLU. I can only assume this speed loss was to do with the move so I'm also wondering if TT being involved in a FTTC connection may also cause a lower synch...
Ping ms 21
Download Mbps 68.15
Upload Mbps 18.56

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2016, 10:31:17 PM »

No the sync is between you and the cabinet, owned by Openreach so any ISP you use would get the same sync speed.

Chris P Duck

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2016, 12:31:01 AM »

Thanks ;)
Ping ms 21
Download Mbps 68.15
Upload Mbps 18.56

Chris P Duck

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2016, 10:15:25 PM »

No the sync is between you and the cabinet, owned by Openreach so any ISP you use would get the same sync speed.

Just out of interest, I typed my line number into the AAISP site and the result says I have TalkTalk FTTC available?

"Estimated standard ADSL download speed 3,293kb/s to 7,914kb/s.
Estimated Annex-M speed 1,000kb/s Up, and 3,883kb/s down.
Talk Talk FTTC VDSL services are available.
"
Ping ms 21
Download Mbps 68.15
Upload Mbps 18.56
Pages: 1 [2] 3