Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Guess where ??  (Read 8361 times)

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
Re: Guess where ??
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2016, 09:07:54 PM »

The ducts may be already be there, but they still have to install more fibre for the FTTC cabs.     I saw them installing it down the main road into this town about 6 months before the cabs went live.   Theres plenty photos around which show the new fibre being laid. 

Some of the ducts may have collapsed and be difficult to get to, or may be delayed due to having to get permission for roadworks.   Here they had to dig up a portion of the main road for a short while and put temp traffic lights up.   

Ah, that's interesting. I didn't notice any roads being digged up around here before my fibre cabinet was activated.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2016, 09:10:10 PM »

The term we use for this kind of scenario is 'Parent and Child' Exchanges. There are many around, and a point of note, it doesn't follow that just because one Exchange is larger in size than the other, that this will automatically be classed as the 'Parent'. It can be the other way round.

Oh right! That's another thing I've learnt today!

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2016, 06:13:56 PM »

There are very few new ducts used for fibre. BT will, largely, have been using the existing E-side ducts (carrying exchange<->PCP copper) to feed the fibre down. These will have been laid for copper a long time ago; new ones are only needed where the old ones are full.

That's the obvious routing for all the exchanges that are "Parent" ones.

For child exchanges, there are a couple of options:
a) The fibre arrives in the manhole just outside the "Child" exchange, after following trunk ducting from the parent, and then starts to follow the various E-side ducts of the child exchange. The fibre itself gets right up to the child exchange, but doesn't go in.
b) The fibre arrives by completely different routing, as per Kitz' picture. That fibre might come out of the parent following existing E-side ducts, before needing a short length of new duct as it hops over the existing exchange boundary to the first cabinet in the child exchange.

When the new FTTC cabinet gets built, there is normally some short lengths of new ducting, to join the cabinet to an underground chamber, and to allow the copper tie pairs to route from the PCP (via one or two chambers) into the FTTC cabinet. The fibre will also use one of these short lengths of new duct.

A recent presentation from BT showed there are over 4,500 exchanges with at least one cabinet which is fibre-enabled. 1,500 of these only have 20CN exchange facilities, so certainly don't have a fibre head-end. It wouldn't surprise me if there were less than 1,000 head-end exchanges. Perhaps even fewer.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2016, 12:08:04 AM »

A recent presentation from BT showed there are over 4,500 exchanges with at least one cabinet which is fibre-enabled. 1,500 of these only have 20CN exchange facilities, so certainly don't have a fibre head-end. It wouldn't surprise me if there were less than 1,000 head-end exchanges. Perhaps even fewer.

Good guess. 
Just used an excel formula to find the number of unique exchange names that have SFBB SVLANs = 951
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2016, 12:25:24 AM »

I wonder how many FTTC cabs the NSBFD exchange has (or will have)?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2016, 01:43:18 AM »

My guess is four. (Going by tingles in the whiskers.)  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2016, 07:03:29 AM »

Do those whiskers also detect gravitational waves? As created by, say, the dispensing of a bowl of food nearby rather than distant black holes, of course!

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2016, 07:41:14 AM »

There are very few new ducts used for fibre. BT will, largely, have been using the existing E-side ducts (carrying exchange<->PCP copper) to feed the fibre down. These will have been laid for copper a long time ago; new ones are only needed where the old ones are full.

That's the obvious routing for all the exchanges that are "Parent" ones.

For child exchanges, there are a couple of options:
a) The fibre arrives in the manhole just outside the "Child" exchange, after following trunk ducting from the parent, and then starts to follow the various E-side ducts of the child exchange. The fibre itself gets right up to the child exchange, but doesn't go in.
b) The fibre arrives by completely different routing, as per Kitz' picture. That fibre might come out of the parent following existing E-side ducts, before needing a short length of new duct as it hops over the existing exchange boundary to the first cabinet in the child exchange.

When the new FTTC cabinet gets built, there is normally some short lengths of new ducting, to join the cabinet to an underground chamber, and to allow the copper tie pairs to route from the PCP (via one or two chambers) into the FTTC cabinet. The fibre will also use one of these short lengths of new duct.

Absolutely correct, but they will run 'Sub-duct' (IE: another smaller duct) through the existing ducts, in which to blow the fibre through.  :)

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2016, 12:58:42 PM »

Good point.

Presumably the subducting is still used even when the fibre cable is one of the large, multi-fibre cables with up to 288 fibres.

What happens if two fibre cables are needed? One larger subduct to hold them, or multiple subducts, one per cable?

I imagine the latter - with only one thing ever blown down an empty subduct.

And ... where we have been talking of parent-child relationships for fibre ... do these tend to follow existing copper parent-child relationships (eg from a remote concentrator, to its parent)? If so, are those ducted routes still termed "junctions"? Or has there been a change in terminology there?

I tend to describe it as "trunk" rather than "junction", because I think more lay people will understand that, even though I don't think it is strictly correct. But I'm curious as to what it is really called.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2016, 03:28:08 PM »

Nor would it surprise me if in the longer term all these smaller exchanges which have been effectively 'bypassed' when their areas were fibre enabled are closed...

I seem to recall BT saying ISDN would end in 2025 by which time they expect all voice traffic on their network to be carried over IP.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2016, 09:49:51 PM »

I wonder how many FTTC cabs the NSBFD exchange has (or will have)?

According to this Broadfield has a lot of Exchange Only lines, which are problematic when it comes to FTTC.
Looks like a possibility of FTTP in some areas.

It has 5 PCPs (not sure what happened to P3) that look like they will eventually getting Huawei cabs.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2016, 10:05:46 PM »

It has 5 PCPs (not sure what happened to P3) that look like they will eventually getting Huawei cabs.

Ah, so my estimate (of four) was one out.  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2016, 10:55:36 PM »

(not sure what happened to P3)

It probably got buldozed. :lol:
Pages: 1 2 [3]