Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Malwarebytes Antivirus Software Has Zero Day Exploit  (Read 1386 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Malwarebytes Antivirus Software Has Zero Day Exploit
« on: February 05, 2016, 04:02:55 PM »

I picked this up from the Plusnet Forum.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Malwarebytes Antivirus Software Has Zero Day Exploit
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 11:02:38 PM »

Wonder what the exploit is, for obvious reasons the info is vague, it could perhaps suggest that some sort of targeted injection could occur during updates.

I use malwarebytes in the past but more as a free tool to search for difficult to remove trojans on an  already infected machine.   Wasnt aware that they also did AV.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 11:10:53 PM »

I wondered if some terms were being used "loosely". If they had an AV suite, wouldn't they be offering it at least to registered clients?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 11:59:45 PM »

I wondered if some terms were being used "loosely". If they had an AV suite, wouldn't they be offering it at least to registered clients?

Yep, youre likely correct.

I havent checked, but doesnt their premium malwarebytes offer real time protection against malware & spyware.   If so then that would probably connect every so often to check and automatically download new files.

From what I did gather, it seems that much of the problem is updates not being signed.  It said it had to be a targetted attack rather than general, so thats why Im guessing some sort of injection during an update, which could change the ACL/privileges and allow trojans to be installed undetected.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 09:00:11 AM »

Indeed it does. ;D

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 09:16:51 AM »

Glancing through the   Malwarebytes blog, my quick impression is that the Consumer edition has the problem, but that users of premium get some protection by enabling self protection in settings.

Somewhat surprised that according to initial words of blog, something was known in early November.