Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Response from Openreach CEO to Shapps report  (Read 22942 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Response from Openreach CEO to Shapps report
« on: January 25, 2016, 06:39:16 PM »

This is addressed to OR employees from Joe Garner.

Folks,

As you probably know, we’ve attracted some more media coverage over the weekend centred around a report led by MP Grant Shapps, criticising the state of broadband in the UK and calling for Openreach to be separated from BT as a result. Around 120 MPs have put their names to the report.

I wanted to share my thoughts and also give you the facts and a perspective that I hope is helpful when you are speaking with customers, family and colleagues.

As we all know, in our increasingly ‘always on’ world, expectations have been rising, and people are increasingly expecting world leading coverage, speed and “always on” service. We have made tremendous progress rolling out fibre and improving service, leading Europe in most respects, but for the small proportion of people who do not yet have the connectivity they need they are understandably frustrated.

The report unfortunately contains a lot of inaccurate information. The BBC and others have been publishing articles today, pointing out the mistakes (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35399030). Gavin has also conducted a number of interviews, to set the record straight and to reiterate that Openreach is far better being part of the BT Group.

I know many of you - like me - will feel the criticism of Openreach contained in this report is unwarranted. What I do know is that every one of us can be proud of what we’ve achieved in Openreach - we’re building Britain’s connected future and we’re doing it faster than other major EU countries.

If you get asked about this report by customers, friends or family, please mention the following points:

•We absolutely acknowledge that broadband is a necessity to the vast majority of the UK population now
•We've worked extremely hard over the last few years to help make fibre available to 90% of UK premises and plan to be at 95% by next year. That’s over 24 million premises with our fibre available so far, 5 million of which have already chosen to upgrade to fibre broadband and are now enjoying the benefits
•In fact Ofcom, the EU and many independent studies show the UK leads other major EU countries when it comes to broadband
•BT have committed to invest over £3bn towards our nationwide fibre rollout, including our contribution to co-fund public sector contracts. So far, we have also received around £700m of public sector funding. However we do accept that if you are one of the households/ businesses that still can't get fibre then you are naturally feeling frustrated. That's why we are working closely with Government on solutions for the last 5% of premises.
•We are committed to delivering a reliable level of service too. We deliver on time in the vast, vast majority of jobs and delivered against all of Ofcom’s minimum service levels last year. We do accept that when we get it wrong it has a big impact on our customers and that's why we're continually focused on improving our service. We launched the Openreach Charter which explains our commitments
•Finally, we fundamentally believe that the argument around separating Openreach from the rest of BT is flawed. We believe that the UK has received more investment with Openreach inside BT and would get far less if it were a smaller and independent company.

I strongly believe that we at Openreach are making a real difference as we continue to improve the service we give our customers by building Britain’s connected future. It is very frustrating that it is so easy to criticise – particularly when our people work so hard in such difficult conditions to upgrade the Nation’s broadband. Please be assured that we are doing everything we can to ensure that the facts of our significant contribution are recognised.

Thank you for your contribution to building Britain’s connected future.

Joe

Admin - Edit to slightly amended topic title
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 12:02:19 PM by kitz »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Response from our CEO
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 06:51:22 PM »

Thank you for providing that information. Accurate information is always appreciated.  :)

Gentle reminder to all kitizens . . .

This site is neither pro nor anti the BT Group of Companies. Sensible comments and discussions are, of course, welcomed.

Pointless posts, with negativity just for the sake of it, will be kicked into the far corner of my litter tray.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 08:13:23 PM »

It is a good sign how quickly the CEO responded.

I think it would have been better if this Ofcom report would have been an open consultation with all the people of the industry, rather than Ofcom sitting in judgement. In my view unless Ofcom already have an alternative plan in place, then it would be madness to split OR away. Whatever the frustrations of people are, at least we're heading in the right direction.

I guess we'll wait for the decision at the end of february. Whatever it is, I hope that it is good for the consumers.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 08:49:22 PM »

OFCOM? This was a very biased report led by a Tory MP with a pretty poor reputation who definitely has his own agenda.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 10:00:31 PM »

The BBC and others have been publishing articles today, pointing out the mistakes (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35399030).

You're welcome, Joe.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 10:35:25 PM »

Did you have some personal input, ignition ??  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 10:50:22 PM »

Did you have some personal input, ignition ??  :)

Yes he did.   
He wrote an excellent & factual article which can be read here.  - Broadbad or just bad.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 10:58:11 PM »

Thank you for the link, Kitz ...... shall have a read of that tomorrow.  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 11:02:50 PM »

As an aside I'd already mentioned that on Saturday I also attempting to put something similar together, but then the thread went into chaos and I had to delete several posts and lock it.

I was made aware of Ignitionnets blog post this morning by a friend who works in the industry [and no its not BT or Plusnet].  It covers many of the items I was going to do and more.
He's done a better job than I could have and therefore I suggest you read his blog

-----

TBH I'm getting very tired of late of the negativeness, false accusations and personal insults.
I suggest that you read & heed b*cats warning, because from now on posts will be deleted without warning.
I have no objections to valid points or discussion from whatever side, but some of the throw away remarks will no longer be tolerated.
You have been warned.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 11:42:27 PM »

Phase 2 of Ofcom's review is supposed to have been completed by the end of 2015, surely Ofcom have reached their decision already and it doesn't really matter what the MPs have concluded?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 12:10:19 AM »

Phase 2 of Ofcom's review is supposed to have been completed by the end of 2015, surely Ofcom have reached their decision already and it doesn't really matter what the MPs have concluded?

That is also my understanding.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 12:13:54 AM »

The 'Shapps' report is all to do with political manouvering and appearing to placing yourself on the 'right' side before the OFCOM report is published.

I would focus more on who Shapps is allied to in the industry to understand the 'real' point of this report.
I expect more clarity on this point in the weeks to come.!!

At best it is cynical jumping on a bandwagon to boost political visibility and at worse it is furthering the aims of some as yet unnamed 3rd party with an axe to grind & business objective to push.

The only 'fact' is that Shapps is not a friend of BT, to which one must ask the question why now ? :)
[The answer is NOT that he cares about the people who are missing out on the 'Broadband revolution' etc etc & 'other marketing spiel']

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 12:21:41 AM »

Sharon White has hinted already at big changes for BT but to what end? How does she propose to magically produce a better broadband network for everyone? If there was an obvious answer or white knight we would all be singing from the same hymn sheet.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 01:38:24 AM »

The 'Shapps' report is all to do with political manouvering and appearing to placing yourself on the 'right' side before the OFCOM report is published.

I would focus more on who Shapps is allied to in the industry to understand the 'real' point of this report.
I expect more clarity on this point in the weeks to come.!!

Im not aware of any direct link, but Murdoch has always been in the background somewhere.   
It was rather obvious last year when the Murdoch owned papers played down or didnt bother to mention the allegations against Shapps and it was left to the likes of the Mirror and the Guardian.. but then again they all have their own political agendas.

Its not gone unnoticed that Shapps rolled out in the Telegraph and afaik theres only the telegraph putting out something like this this rather than admit that the Broadbad report was full of holes.

Basically as ever the media is just a political band-wagon.   Murdoch without doubt using the press for his own aims - what he attempted to do with the junior doctors strike the other week was pretty low and it was quite humorous when that backfired.   Does he have monopoly for the newspapers/press?
TBH Im cynical about most things reported these days.

At best it is cynical jumping on a bandwagon to boost political visibility and at worse it is furthering the aims of some as yet unnamed 3rd party with an axe to grind & business objective to push.

Well it is rumoured he is trying to get into Murdochs good books, but that is just a rumour  :-X ::)
(See the political article linked to the other day)

The only 'fact' is that Shapps is not a friend of BT, to which one must ask the question why now ? :)
[The answer is NOT that he cares about the people who are missing out on the 'Broadband revolution' etc etc & 'other marketing spiel']

Theres an awful lot of people asking this question and quite a lot drawing the same conclusion.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 01:51:19 AM »

btw, in respect to what the Guardian and what Mr Shapps is reporting via the Telegraph: - BT workers caught on tape
You can hear the recording here.

I must say that really was rather unprofessional of them, and how stupid for it to be recorded on Mr Shapps ansaphone.

However, what they say is true  :lol:
-----
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8