Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: EE Acquisition  (Read 17895 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
Re: EE Acquisition
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2016, 08:38:51 PM »

Because openreach would be focusing on itself instead of worrying about BT, and sky and vodafone would get these tackled as it is negatively affecting their own companies.
Also because openreach revenues wont be been used to fund BT sports rights, meaning they can spend on more engineers for a better service instead.

If I am wrong why are BT so desperate to keep hold of openreach? You are seemingly saying openreach is just trouble having to do unviable rollouts of new infrastructure, why would BT want to keep such a company?

Anyway we will agree to disagree.

Like everyone has said time will tell on the EE buyout.  I hope I am proven wrong because I dont want to have to leave EE.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 08:50:05 PM by Chrysalis »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2016, 08:52:51 PM »

Its the mess that would occur during a split.    As mentioned the beneficiaries would be lawyers and accountants.    How would they deal with BTw.    Its already a nightmare with Openreach ->, Wholesale, ->, SPs  -> EU.

No other company has to split off their retail & wholesale.    What about Virgin? 

You are seemingly saying openreach is just trouble having to do unviable rollouts of new infrastructure,

No I've said why its unviable to fully roll out FTTH to the whole country.   Remember that guy form JT slagging off BT for not following Jersey Telecoms footsteps, even thought they dont have the same demographics and were half sponsored by Jersey gov.    Even their best laid plans hasnt gone as anticipated.

Im saying that I dont believe a split would suddenly make everything better.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2016, 09:58:53 PM »

Im afraid I disagree.   I dont see how splitting them off will specifically tackle these issues.   They should be tackled regardless.

I agree it should be tackled but I think while BT shackles them it wont, there is no will in BT to do this as it will help their competitors.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2016, 10:27:37 PM »

FTTP should be where its profitable not nationwide, I never said it should be everywhere, I dont think any of sky, Vodafone etc. say so either, its ofcom and BT who are obsessed with giving little villages the same service as cities. 

As for virgin media they dont have a presence all over the country the same AS BT as such they have no monopoly, because where they exist they have competition from another infrastructure.

BTw can stay how it is, isp's can already bypass BTw anyway so its not a big issue, e.g. as a sky customer I dont use BTw backhaul.

Openreach is rotten because it has the mindset of BT drilled into it.

Sky and talktalk have been trialling FTTP, they have obviously concluded the cost of rolling it out in cities like york is low enough that g.fast is a waste of time in such areas.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2016, 10:48:07 PM »

@Kitz
> No other company has to split off their retail & wholesale.    What about Virgin? 

I think it's very unfair on BT. But I would have to say, my mind went in the opposite direction. What if all companies that had a monolopoly or near monopoly were required to produce a price list under certain conditions?

(With much respect for your options,)

> saying that I dont believe a split would suddenly make everything better

Agreed. Chaos, and expensive chaos. God knows what would happen to faults, complaints and account changes, ISP migration and new lines. It would just be the equivalent of throwing a handgrenade into a working, tested system

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2016, 01:52:44 AM »

Chrysalis,

Because openreach would be focusing on itself instead of worrying about BT, and sky and vodafone would get these tackled as it is negatively affecting their own companies.
Also because openreach revenues wont be been used to fund BT sports rights, meaning they can spend on more engineers for a better service instead.

If I am wrong why are BT so desperate to keep hold of openreach? You are seemingly saying openreach is just trouble having to do unviable rollouts of new infrastructure, why would BT want to keep such a company?

As Kitz and Weaver has pointed out, separating OR is likely to lead to  more confusion and poorer services from both BT and OR while they sort of the mess that will be created which will take years.

BT know this and it is something they will naturally want to avoid.

However, all BT would need to do is adopt an LLU model like Sky and Talktalk and Openreach would then be in considerable difficulty, as would the other ISPs which rely on them.

Also: re: sports rights - a companies revenue is not used to by these - they would come out of cashflow and oeprating profit..much smaller numbers. I seriously doubt OR's income is being used for this purpose anyway - its profit margin as well as its prices are fixed by Ofcom.

its ofcom and BT who are obsessed with giving little villages the same service as cities. 

I think you mean Parliament (where MPs have voters to deal with) and thus Ofcom and rather than BT. BT are doing it because they can, I'm sure if they could get away with only upgrading viable parts of their network they would.

Neither would splitting OR fix any of the problems you have listed - though things are much better now than before privatisation.

the investment would come from openreach's profit and increased prices (yes wholesale prices are too low in my opinion).

Higher prices might enable OR to tackle some of the issues you list - it doesn't need to be separate from BT for this. BUT who do you think is going to support higher prices? Not many..

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2016, 09:32:39 AM »

I think the argument of it been a mess temporarily whilst restructuring takes place is a weak one, long term is always king over short term.

You need to clarify what you mean by confusion.

LLU has absolutely no bearing on openreach, it only affects BT wholesale. Openreach can only be bypassed by building your own local loop.

Finally jacking up openreach's prices and doing nothing else would not achieve much, unless ofcom forced BT to invest it all on openreach infrastructure (which they wont) because BT would just siphon it off to other parts of the company or give it all to shareholders.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 09:37:11 AM by Chrysalis »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2016, 09:48:35 AM »

The issue OR face at the moment with all the calls for it to be split off is that the public are sympathetic to those calls, not so much because it makes sense from a commercial standpoint for them to be totally independent of the rest of BT, but because of their current pee poor performance in the areas Chrysalis listed (mainly installation and fault repair). That's making it easy for Sky to gather public support. If OR fixed those issues, Sky would find it a lot harder to get public support for making radical changes.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2016, 10:39:39 AM »

Kitz you got anything to backup FTTP not been viable? because facts from other countries say otherwise.
FTTP is viable providing the shareholders can accept the reduced profits in the short term. 

Even FTTP masters Gigaclear on their commercial non BDUK projects will not go to outlying houses away from a central "village project".
If such a group happen to be on the fibre in/out route then lucky them - if not tough.
So for example a group of say 4 houses 0.5 miles away on a spur - sorry not interested unless the 4 houses substantially contribute to the cost of getting the fibre to them - and by substantial I'm not talking of £500 - think about another zero on the end for a start - and then add some more; like doubling it.
I know of another example where they said to me that to reach place x is simply not economically viable for us - we go bust. I know the quote they gave the owner and most on here would have a heart attack if they saw it.

Edait
Remember even then GC are only FTTP to the front property boundary.  The install costs from there to and inside the house are for the owner to pay on an individually costed basis  I think their min 'install' is £100 if you are something like 1 meter away, after that it depends on the length of the drive but for a long rural drive starting thinking in the high £hundreds.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 10:44:02 AM by c6em »

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2016, 12:38:58 PM »

This got long  :-[ And none of it about EE  :(

FTTP should be where its profitable not nationwide, I never said it should be everywhere, I dont think any of sky, Vodafone etc. say so either, its ofcom and BT who are obsessed with giving little villages the same service as cities. 

I'm not convinced that FTTP is now profitable in many places whatsoever. The rollout of FTTC to the vast majority has removed almost all of the market for customers, and the mere existence of G.fast has brought about a choice that changes the playing field further.

FTTP requires a mindset of long-term investment, long-term assurance of income, long-term risk management (risks=competition,regulation,technology advances). Somewhere in all of this, it requires spending a lot of money, and therefore requires more money coming in from customers - a simple equation.

I don't see that any of those are improved by making Openreach independent - unless Sky and TalkTalk went some way to convince Openreach that there was a stable utopia on the other side, with the prospect of more income.

Unfortunately, Sky went out of their way to demand an independent Openreach with no reduction in regulation, and demands to make things ever-cheaper. TalkTalk just want things cheaper. Neither talk about more money being available from customers.

I understand Sky's position - it is harder to compete with a BT that, at a strategy level at least, controls Openreach. Meanwhile, we need to accept that Sky are simultaneously trying to keep their dominant position in TV by crushing their rival.

If, as a punter, you want cheaper broadband - then follow their cues. But if you want investment in serious infrastructure for the long-term future, then they're not worth listening to.

Right now, I think the country needs the environment for serious investment, rather than an environment for more cut-throat competition, and we need a stable environment for a couple of decades. For that reason, I don't think it is worth paying too much attention to Sky or TalkTalk. It might be worth listening to Vodafone, though ... and the rumours that they're talking to Liberty Global again are interesting. Ironically, you don't see VM calling for Openreach to be split from BT.

For Sky and TalkTalk, perhaps they could achieve a better position, not by fiddling with the only wholesaler they can buy from, but by adding a choice of wholesaler that they can buy from. Forcing VM to offer wholesale services to match those of Openreach & BT Wholesale. That way Sky and TalkTalk would have a choice of wholesale provider - forcing the two main infrastructure competitors into competition.

That sounds like a far better way to get Openreach to react to the needs of their customer better ... by making them fight for that customer!

Not good for VM though. It probably mucks up the financials behind Project Lightning somewhat.

As for virgin media they dont have a presence all over the country the same AS BT as such they have no monopoly, because where they exist they have competition from another infrastructure.

VM is one thing that makes the idea of "monopoly" strange in modern times.

By definition there is no monopoly where VM deploys: BT have no infrastructure monopoly in 50% of the country, rising to ~65% over the next 4-5 years.

But by definition, this ~65% of the country is where profits are possible. So BT have a monopoly only in areas where it is unprofitable to operate. What a privilege that is for them!

Back in GPO days, the proper meaning of the monopoly had a consequence: you could use the profits from the "cheaper" parts of the country to help fund the "expensive", unprofitable parts.

Nowadays, we have lost sight of that consequence. The fact that BT has to compete on price in the competitive 65% means there are no longer the excess funds swashing around the industry to fund the "monopoly" in the remaining 35%.

A lot of people, on many forums, throw around the word "monopoly" for BT. While it is true that BT operate some of their network as a monopoly in the strict sense of the word, they don't operate with any of the financial benefits that normally come with the word. It seems, to me, that the more we add competition into the profitable portion of the country, the more we make it impossible to invest in the unprofitable portion of the country.

Perhaps we need to treat Openreach, and any potential split, in two different ways: one where there is infrastructure competition, and one where there isn't.

Perhaps, in some parts of the 35% "monopoly", the things stifling investment isn't quite the profitability, but the fear, the risk, that a profitable FTTP solution would be undone by VM turning up. Or some other competitor. In this case it is the risk that prevents investment, not the price. For premises stuck like this, would they prefer to see the prospect of investment in FTTP by one company? Or would they prefer competition with lesser technology? Would it be beneficial for a district to be able to offer a limited monopoly (say 10 or 20 years) to an FTTP infrastructure company, allowing for the company to factor reduced risk for payback?

Kitz sorry but openreach really are that bad.

4+ weeks for installations.
Threat of fee's for a fault callout.
No same day callout's for consumers.
Unable to coordinate end user equipment to match street equipment.
Engineers failing to turn up.
Voice engineers turning up for broadband faults.
Cancelled appointments.

I'm with you on this - that Openreach have all these problems that could be improved - but I'm with Kitz on the solution. These are issues to be tackled anyway, with a mindset that wants to tackle them. All of them are issues that show a problem - but they're all a problem that can be solved without being an independent company.

For me, I think they are an endemic problem that stems from a mindset of trying to be cheap, and trying to set up engineers' schedules in a way that is both cheap and EoI-approved, with a limited number of engineers, and a requirement that Openreach not communicate with the end-user.

I think we can see that things haven't worked well on that front, and need to be changed. And they are being changed ... but it takes time for the end result to show through.

But to be world-class in this arena, it takes more engineers, with more time - and that is the biggest cost for Openreach. If we want a better quality service, we need to pay for it. Yet Sky want to keep both the regulation and the cheapness that got us into this mess in the first place. Openreach want to talk to us, but have been vetoed.

In what way would a split solve this differently from just a good kick up the %^&*?

As for the service... How many ISPs tell their punters what SLA they can expect? How many punters know that lines can be taken with different grades of service, at different costs? How many understand the implications of the grade they have chosen? How many, instead, just take the cheapest possible option without a second glance at the consequences?

Perhaps things would improve here is people understood just what grade of service they were signing up to. And saw how much it cost to be offered an improved grade. I still think that Sky's SLA terms (with Openreach) for LLU install/repair are better than the standard WLR terms, but I can't find the document that made me think that, and I can't find details through Sky or Ofcom (where everything is couched in terms of "within SLA").

The dichotomy is that, while an improved access network, and an improved service related to the access network, absolutely requires more money ... Ofcom regulation forces a reduction in this part of "line rental". But punters see their "line rental" increasing, and expect better service for it too.

Sky and talktalk have been trialling FTTP, they have obviously concluded the cost of rolling it out in cities like york is low enough that g.fast is a waste of time in such areas.

Have they "obviously concluded" that for "cities like york"? I haven't seen them choose to expand the trial within York, never mind expand it to a commercial service in any other location.

In fact, I'm not sure I've even seen a retail price offering from Sky yet.

Kitz you got anything to backup FTTP not been viable? because facts from other countries say otherwise.

Which countries? What kind of housing in that country?

The UK's housing consists of the lowest proportion of flats of anywhere in Europe, bar Ireland. Having lots of flats makes for more compact cities, and a greater likelihood of an FTTB solution. Hyperoptic target this market, and it amazes me that BT haven't gone for it more - other than the odd FTTRN trial.

Korea is often pointed out as great for FTTP. They have an awful lot of flats, and the market is split with around 5m FTTH, 7m FTTB and 5m HFC - and substantial infrastructure competition. Yet KT have decided that upgrading the FTTB from (fibre+VDSL) is best done through (fibre+G.now) rather than using FTTH. (G.now looks to give fairly similar results to G.fast).

So, even in Korea, the existence of a G.Fast-like technology is changing the decisions. FTTH is no longer the only game in town.

In the end, the cost for FTTP coverage of the UK has been averaged at somewhere close to £1,000 per home, and that estimate still only allows for 31% takeup. That £1,000 has to come from somewhere...

FTTP is viable providing the shareholders can accept the reduced profits in the short term. 

FTTP at £1,000 per home *might* be viable if there is little risk involved in getting the money back (before any profit is involved). But the UK has an environment where that "little risk" does not exist. The competitive market is one thing that increase the risk, especially with VM increasing footprint. Competition from existing technology hurts too: bottom-feeders offering "free broadband" on existing, cheap but passable technology hurts too. Regulation is a risk too - with Ofcom constantly butting in.

But right now, even FTTC makes it less viable. With only 10% of your market likely to demand higher speeds than they can already get, FTTP is only viable if you can deploy it precisely where it is needed, without the cost of covering the other 90%. For this, the right kind of FTTP-on-demand could fit the bill. But G.Fast-on-demand is still likely to be cheaper.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2016, 12:58:54 PM »

Well what we do know is that openreach are prepared to extend fibre to street distribution points without any guarantee of orders, they already consider that viable.
If fibre is pushed out that far, the extra cost of FTTP on top of that is not that significant, All openreach would need to do is push out fibre the same amount as is supposedly planned for g.fast and then only do the rest when an order comes in, so there is no rolling out FTTP without orders, in effect similar to the FTTPoD, but the main difference been the product is actually marketed and priced at a point takeup will occur.

BT have been in control of openreach for about a decade, not sure why people think they capable or even willing to improve it.  The desire isnt there from BT.

Verizon said the reduced expenditure on faults alone paid back their FTTP rollout. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/05/20/verizon_fibre_is_so_much_cheaper_than_copper_were_going_allfttp/

Why are openreach .e.g using copper for new builds?

Also back to the topic at hand, I wonder how many of EE customers (now owned by BT) will move to BT retail broadband/tv products when they get bundling offers thrown at them.  This is one reason why the deal been approved is bad, expect both talktalk and sky's customer count to plummet unless sky can buy a mobile competitor soon.  Ofcom are either stupid or have been leaned on to allow it to happen.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 01:08:51 PM by Chrysalis »

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2016, 01:19:04 PM »

I'm not convinced that G.Fast will ever have a proper rollout with Openreach under BT. It just seems like an empty promise that BT have made to try and keep Openreach.

How many times have we heard promises that actually resulted in decent improvements from BT?

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2016, 01:29:00 PM »

They most likely have taken note of the new EU telecoms commissioner's statements a while back.
These were in effect that "competition" has resulted in lowering of prices to consumers (who seem to care about nothing else than lowest price 'now') at the expense of capital investment.

So the EU has signaled that we can see larger mergers being allowed that might have been the case and some forms of exclusivity being permitted to give the supplier guarantees on future income stream.
All designed to give a push to invest.  In short consumers the days of choice being endlessly chasing the cheapest deal will go - you want a decent service for the 22nd century - start paying for it.

So I hazard a guess that OFCOM would rather these two merge than something far less palatable which the EU might then approve over the heads of any UK/OFCOM objection.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 01:31:15 PM by c6em »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2016, 02:01:19 PM »

LLU has absolutely no bearing on openreach, it only affects BT wholesale. Openreach can only be bypassed by building your own local loop.

If BT were to switch to LLU, the income Openreach would receive would fall. As LLU providers pay Openreach less than non-LLU firms.

Well what we do know is that openreach are prepared to extend fibre to street distribution points without any guarantee of orders, they already consider that viable.

That is not what BT or Openreach have actually said. They have been very careful to say any rollout is 'subject to xxxx small print' and neither have they actually said that G.Fast will go to the distribution point-in fact most now expect it to be offered from existing FTTC cabinet locations first.

If their cost of capital increases - which it would do if they were independent - it makes it a lot less viable.

If fibre is pushed out that far, the extra cost of FTTP on top of that is not that significant, All openreach would need to do is push out fibre the same amount as is supposedly planned for g.fast and then only do the rest when an order comes in, so there is no rolling out FTTP without orders, in effect similar to the FTTPoD, but the main difference been the product is actually marketed and priced at a point takeup will occur.

If fibre is pushed out to the DP, then yes, rolling out FTTP is cheaper than it would otherwise be but you are wrong in thinking the costs are not that significant. The costs of converting homes to fibre are more than connecting a DP to a fibre node - and doing it on demand also more than doing an entire area at once.

However, what you are suggesting is basically what BT have already suggested with their proposed replacement FOD2 1GB product.

Verizon said the reduced expenditure on faults alone paid back their FTTP rollout.

They have claimed that previously but it was them who also stopped their FIOS rollout. Also, more broadly speaking, they face less competition in the USA and the local loop is a lot worse there.

Why are openreach .e.g using copper for new builds?

Because many developers (and home buyers) are not demanding FTTP and/or not involving Openreach in their planning?

Also back to the topic at hand, I wonder how many of EE customers (now owned by BT) will move to BT retail broadband/tv products when they get bundling offers thrown at them.

BT still wont own EE for another month or two.

But I don't think the change will be as great as you expect given that EE already offer EE TV, line rental and broadband to their customers. The main opportunities come from BT being able to offer better mobile contracts to its own customer base.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2016, 03:17:02 PM »

How many times have we heard promises that actually resulted in decent improvements from BT?

In 1999, I was getting just over 40kbps on dial-up. In 2000, I jumped to 2Mbps; in 2005, I jumped to 8Mbps; in 2011, I got options (within 6 months of each other) for either 12Mbps or 40Mbps (and chose 40).

They were all BT-based improvements - and indeed were my only option. NTL/Virgin were within 50m through all that time, but refused to include our estate, so offered nothing.

In 2012, I moved home. Since then, I've had the option of 80Mbps with BT, or any VM speeds. I've continued to choose the BT-based option, now at 80Mbps, and don't feel the need to be chasing anything higher.

Not everyone can relate the same kind of story, but there has been nothing special about my line except for the early start with the first fixed-speed ADSL. It has been fairly average at everything else.

It seems that, sometimes, the discussions about the longest and worst lines can make us forget the actual experience of the "average".
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

anything