Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: new 'Where and When' site  (Read 5333 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
new 'Where and When' site
« on: January 12, 2016, 09:37:19 AM »

Taken from our 'Loop' distribution ............ haven't tried it personally.

The new “Where and when” site

Do you get questions from friends, family and customers about when fibre will be available to them? If yes, then make sure to check out the new Where and when page on the Superfast website. http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/
We have replaced the old teardrop graphics with a fibre journey that provides details on the steps we go through to build a fibre to the cabinet connection, from planning through to activation.

The Fibre journey
The new ‘Where and when’ fibre journey is an eight step process. Before the approximate 12 month fibre journey timeline begins, there are two categories for those who either aren’t in a fibre upgrade plan (exploring solutions) or are in a commercial or BDUK plan where work hasn’t yet begun (in scope).
Once we start building the fibre connection the end customer will progress through five stages (Design, Field survey, Build, Connect, and Activate) before landing the “Accepting orders” category which indicates that they can place and order with their service provider.

Between the “Design” and “Activate” steps there are links to additional information to give people the option to learn more about the activities involved at that stage.
Finally, for those people who don’t want to continuously check on progress on the website they can register to receive an email notifying them when they can order fibre service.

Next steps
This development isn’t the end of the improvements planned for the Superfast site. In the coming months we will look at expanding the journey to include FTTP connections and exchange only lines. We will also explore bringing in broadband speed estimates.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: new 'Where and When' site
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 02:39:10 PM »

Put link in Firefox and Opera both do not work for me  :'(
FF blank no map, Opera just stalls on search with phone number or post code.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 02:44:43 PM »

I'm running Safari under iOS, and it just goes round and round for me forever this animated thing in the middle.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 02:53:37 PM »

It works fine here using Pale Moon (Firefox 25.x spinoff). The web design could be improved though - I use NoSquint to enlarge all the text, and the right hand side of the Search section gets lost if I do a postcode search.
  Eric

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 02:57:09 PM »

Works fine here with FF and W7

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 03:10:34 PM »

Thanks for that, it works here with W10 and IE11.
More importantly it actually provides useful information, which is more than my recent correspondence with BT has done, all that has given me is sales flannel.  >:D

Having been put back twice by a year and once by 6 months the online checker shows June 2016 for my cabinet - the only non-fibre one left on my exchange!
But this one says:
We're connecting power to the new fibre cabinet and joining the new fibre lines to the existing copper network. You can't order a fibre service today but typically it'll be available to your premises within the next four months.
Now that is actually helpful.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 03:12:07 PM »

It works for me so far in FF on both the phone number entry and post code. But the layout in Chrome makes it unusable if entering the post code. When it comes to selecting the address number the continue button is cut off. If I type in a phone number instead then its still usable. Both of these browsers are on WinXP.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 04:09:22 PM »

It works for me so far in FF on both the phone number entry and post code. But the layout in Chrome makes it unusable if entering the post code. When it comes to selecting the address number the continue button is cut off. If I type in a phone number instead then its still usable. Both of these browsers are on WinXP.

That's the same as my experience using Pale Moon with slightly enlarged fonts on Linux.
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 04:20:18 PM »

No problems in Chrome with Windows 10, but I am on a large widescreen monitor.
Is screen size the issue, if so can you change the scale in the browser? (you certainly can in IE and Chrome)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 04:37:55 PM »

Thanks for that, it works here with W10 and IE11.
More importantly it actually provides useful information, which is more than my recent correspondence with BT has done, all that has given me is sales flannel.  >:D

Having been put back twice by a year and once by 6 months the online checker shows June 2016 for my cabinet - the only non-fibre one left on my exchange!
But this one says:
We're connecting power to the new fibre cabinet and joining the new fibre lines to the existing copper network. You can't order a fibre service today but typically it'll be available to your premises within the next four months.
Now that is actually helpful.

Wey hey …… my first happy customer. That'll be 25 groats please, HP.  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 04:45:16 PM »

I should have made it clear that I'm happy with the improvements too. My only moan is the large fonts issue, which doesn't diminish the usefulness of the site.

Is screen size the issue, if so can you change the scale in the browser?

I've got a large widescreen monitor too, but the Search section on the page doesn't occupy the full width of the browser. So with larger fonts the text overflows the available space, and the 'Go' button which appears when you use the postcode search is pushed to the right, out of view. I can see it if I shrink the fonts back to normal size.
  Eric

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 04:49:47 PM »

Ha ha, I wasn't meaning you were all un-happy about it, Eric. Glad it assists folk more than the old format …..  :) :) :)

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 05:05:20 PM »

Can't get it to work at all here on any browser or PC. Perpetually rotating animated cursor  :(  (Win 7/8.1)
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 05:08:26 PM »

Working fine here.

W10 with IE11

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 05:28:02 PM »

My only moan is the large fonts issue, which doesn't diminish the usefulness of the site.
Just for amusement I shrank the browser window to maybe 20% of my (1920 pixel) screen width and it just rescaled and worked 100% fine, including the postcode/address search.
IE11 on W10.
Pages: [1] 2

anything