Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Vectoring/G.fast modems future....  (Read 13894 times)

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
Vectoring/G.fast modems future....
« on: January 05, 2016, 07:20:46 PM »

When we get all these new technologies to improve our broadband will say Openreach provide us with a stand alone modem (Like the VDSL2 modems but for vectoring/G.fast) or will we be forced to use all in ones like BT Home Hubs and the put them in modem only mode? (If they even provide that option.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Vectoring/G.fast modems future....
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 07:48:28 PM »

I would assume that it's up to you and your ISP, nothing at all to do with Openreach. If you need a modem or modem-router that speaks G.vector then that upgrade is something you can do or your ISP can help with.

I must confess, I don't know anything about G.vector's implications for modem compatibility.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 10:29:32 PM »

openreach are doing away with the modem's so the responsibility will likely fall on the service provider to provide good equipment.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 11:23:12 PM »

It's a shame they're not supplying modems and installing them. That was good.

Al1264

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 02:27:33 PM »

(Like the VDSL2 modems but for vectoring/G.fast)
Most VDSL modems being used should be compatible with G.Vector but G.fast is a whole new thing and will require a new generation of modem with frequencies up to 106Mhz or 212MHz compared with 17.7Mhz (or 30MHz for profile 30a) used with VDSL(2) - I'd guess this will initially be BT (OR or Wholesale) supplied as there's no retail kit I'm aware of currently.
Plusnet - FTTC - AVM Fritz!Box 7490

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 06:45:03 PM »

I'm not even sure the Openreach ECI modems have been provided with firmware that supports vectoring.

The version I have from the modem is:
 dsl_vr9_firmware_xdsl-05.06.07.05.01.06_05.06.02.03.00.01.bin
The version version from the Openreach source is:
 dsl_vr9_firmware_xdsl-05.04.07.09.01.06_05.04.04.04.01.01.bin

The last digit of the VDSL2 firmware, 6 = no vectoring, 7 = vectoring.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 09:43:51 PM »

Well openreach have shown they were not even competent to follow their own rules, they managed to rollout equipment that couldnt do what they wanted to achieve.

someonesomewhere

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 04:57:29 PM »

I'm on the latest Openreach G.fast trial in Swansea. CPE are an Alcatel-Lucent 7368 F-240W-A and a BT HomeHub 5.

The F-240W-A is a complete all-in-one G.fast wireless router with dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi so it would be perfectly suitable CPE on its own, but it's only used as a modem (with Wi-Fi functionality disabled) for the trial. It's also an absolute behemoth (29 x 21 x 5 cm). Hopefully a more compact standalone modem option will be available when G.fast goes into commercial service.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 05:14:30 PM »

Apart from the aesthetics, how are you experiencing G.fast ........ what kind of speeds are you achieving, if you don't mind responding that is ??

Oh, and welcome to the forum.  :)

Dray

• Kitizen

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 01:13:50 AM »

Most VDSL modems being used should be compatible with G.Vector but G.fast is a whole new thing and will require a new generation of modem with frequencies up to 106Mhz or 212MHz compared with 17.7Mhz (or 30MHz for profile 30a) used with VDSL(2) - I'd guess this will initially be BT (OR or Wholesale) supplied as there's no retail kit I'm aware of currently.

Agreed -with G.Fast equipment compatibility will be important so I would expect Openreach to provide modems and engineer installs initially - in case of teething problems and to ensure a good 'customer experience' before eventually shifting self installs and ISP modems.

Exactly the same approach they took not just with FTTC but also ADSL..

Al1264

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 02:02:46 PM »

Plusnet - FTTC - AVM Fritz!Box 7490

someonesomewhere

• Just arrived
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 12:39:52 PM »

Yep, that's the one. On paper it looks a perfectly capable little (well, big) box. I'm disappointed I can't actually use it.

How am I experiencing it? At the moment I'm not: the service isn't working right now because of an installation problem at the distribution point in the street. (The trials of a triallist.) When it was working I was getting 200 Mbps on a 90 metre cable run.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 01:35:39 PM »

ISP Review has a story on all the G.Fast modems that Openreach are using in their trials today at http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/01/a-quick-look-at-bts-early-uk-trial-of-g-fast-broadband-routers.html

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 12:56:33 AM »

Yep, that's the one. On paper it looks a perfectly capable little (well, big) box. I'm disappointed I can't actually use it.

How am I experiencing it? At the moment I'm not: the service isn't working right now because of an installation problem at the distribution point in the street. (The trials of a triallist.) When it was working I was getting 200 Mbps on a 90 metre cable run.

Are you using reverse power(listed as a feature of the router)?
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything