Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: One for the scientists amongst us .....  (Read 1360 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
One for the scientists amongst us .....
« on: October 26, 2015, 03:26:43 PM »

A genuine US Patent basically stating (from what I can gather), that our brains can be subliminally affected by our TV screen ??

JGO

• Reg Member
Re: One for the scientists amongst us .....
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 03:52:10 PM »

It has been known for some time that information can be implanted that way from film or TV with an advert etc on the occasional TV frame with most of them carrying the ostensible program.  As it is only one frame per sec (say) it cannot be used for moving pictures. 

Is this a new development ?

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 03:52:50 PM »

Assuming you've successfully blocked my posts BS then you won't be seeing this one but I rather suspect the patent is invalid because of what's called "prior art".

ie the first use of subliminal advertising was to influence people to eat/drink certain products during the "intermission" at the cinema in the USA. IIRC it was banned in the UK not because it worked that well in terms of making you hungry/thirsty but because it works in terms of making you buy a specific product/brand if you WERE hungry/thirsty.

tl;dr nothing new here
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 04:40:56 PM by rizla »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 04:51:49 PM »

I remember that back in the days of 405 B&W there was a play, where the viewers were told to await announcement on blank screen. Idea was for something like a totalitarian government to take over. It was, if ageing grey cells are not playing up, by  someone mucking with the screen of his TV to reveal the con.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 05:26:43 PM »

I seem to remember reading some years ago it does not work at all.
The best it does is *possibly* influence people who may already be thirsty or hungry, for food/drink ads, but not in a way that can be shown to be repeatable or statistically significant.
Quick Google search finds BBC article which more or less says the same. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30878843

It was banned in the UK in case it did work not because it was proven to work. !!

Only place it works is in 60's Spy films and episodes of 'The Avengers' and 'The Champions'  :D :D

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 05:45:18 PM »

I seem to remember reading some years ago it does not work at all.

No it works but (in simple terms) you have to make it a sequence of binary decisions for the brain.

For example - flashing up "Drink coke" has no measurable impact when embedded - however flashing up "Thirsty?" then "Drink coke" sequentially with a frame break of around 600 (1-15 secs) makes somewhere around 40% of the (test) audience "buy" a specific drink which was flashed up on screen in the last 30 seconds.

This is really REALLY old stuff peeps - the research of 60 years is out there so if you're interested then use the web but it certainly does work.

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 06:13:46 PM »

oh and the reason (I believe) that a lot of the public research was stopped was basically a complete inability to prevent people accidentally viewing it.

After all if you believe it worked (as the US/UK/Russia & France did at one point) then how do you test it without your (spying) lads/lasses getting the same treatment by watching the wrong programme?

We now know that it'd take a lot more than that but Brit Govt competence is a 70-year old legend to me ;)

What isn't in doubt is the brand thing - this has been tested to death in the US & the results are repeatable, including tests on fake brand names.

Not a surprise really - we can be manipulated by images & sounds even when the state propaganda broadcasters (wherever) say we're safe ;)