Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: For info .... Openreach 10G Ethernet  (Read 2343 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
For info .... Openreach 10G Ethernet
« on: September 22, 2015, 07:19:55 AM »

We’ve launched a 10G Ethernet product for our customers

I’m delighted to announce that yesterday we launched an exciting new variant of our Ethernet Access Direct (EAD) portfolio, with the introduction of a 10G product.

An extremely proud day for many people in Openreach. The launch of our fabulous new product is the result of fantastic collaboration, enthusiasm and effort across a number of business units. I’d like to personally thank everyone involved for getting us to this point - we couldn’t have done it without your combined energies.
What is most pleasing about this product launch, is the fact that it has been a truly CP customer focused approach from the beginning.

As a business we’ve identified a customer need, worked with our CPs to design and deliver a successful trial and now we’re in full launch.
We know there is demand in the market for high capacity connectivity services and we’ve moved quickly to address this. Our new product offers 10 times the bandwidth of our current 1G service, but crucially, is available from around only twice the price.
In our opinion, this is a market leading price for an active 10G product and we’re confident we’ll capture market share across our customer segments:

•Our LLU customers such as Sky, Talk-Talk and BT Consumer require high capacity networks to ensure their copper and increasingly fibre broadband offerings keep pace with their customers’ expectations driving demand for 10G backhaul.
•Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) are busy upgrading their networks as 4G services advance and mature. EAD 10G will provide an evolved backhaul solution for them
•The Business market is increasingly using data centres and "cloud" based services for its IT and communications needs. These increasingly require high capacity network access that EAD 10G will provide.

The Ethernet marketplace is competitive, and that means there’s lots of opportunity for us. EAD 10G, along with the rest of our EAD portfolio, has a huge role to play, as we deliver high bandwidth connectivity services to our CP customers across the UK.
These are exciting times as we continue to design and deliver customer focused products and services that help build Britain’s connected future.

Jon Hurry

Admin - Slightly changed topic title.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 11:01:09 PM by kitz »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: For info ....
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 06:12:35 PM »

Thank you for passing on that information.  :)

Just wondering, who is Jon Hurry and where within the BT Empire is he employed?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 06:34:40 PM »

Thank you for passing on that information.  :)

Just wondering, who is Jon Hurry and where within the BT Empire is he employed?  :-\

I have to say, it's a first for me as well hearing his name ....... but the gentleman in question is ...... Managing Director, Customer, Commercial & Propositions , as given on our 'Internal Directory' (Older employees will have know this as the 'Infernal Directory'  ;D).

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 06:40:13 PM »

I have visions of him standing on a street corner and propositioning passers-by . . .  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 06:49:37 PM »

So he's the cold-caller then? ;)

Edit - also words like "fabulous" & fantastic" are probably things not to be said to technical peeps by execs :D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 06:51:40 PM by rizla »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: For info .... Openreach 10G Ethernet
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 11:01:36 PM »

Thank you BS.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 11:38:28 PM »

Gentlefolk,

Being just a little mischievous, a certain rural Lancashire project has beaten this announcement with such a symmetric service being available to any end user since their systems went live at the end of 2012 !

However, as you might expect, even the new commercial businesses attracted into the area seem quite content with their 1 Gig symmetric service costing £30.00 inc VAT for domestic and small businesses with 5 staff. The larger businesses are charged at £150.00.

Although there is plenty of trunk capacity available, the whole network has four active 10 Gig wavelengths using a dual diverse-routed distribution configuration to every cabinet. However the newly commissioned cabinets are made live for obvious reasons before every diverse loop is  completed.

Kind regards,
Walter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 10:24:09 PM »

I think BT have been offering 10G in certain areas since 2012.  If memory serves correct, some company in Cornwall got it first and up until now it was only available from certain locations.

My understanding from the latest announcement is that it is now available Nationwide- as long as you are willing to stump up for installation.  I haven't checked, but I've no doubt this will /could run into several thousand £.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 10:39:02 AM »

More hopeless drooling from Weaver at the thought of 10G.

["Yeah, why not?

Why did I buy that car a few years back? I could have _happily_ given some money to BT." (Not joking)]

But then, what would RevK use to terminate the pipe for me? Into what/to where? <Prepositions needed.>

Damn, my dream is coming apart at the seams.

sorc

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 09:35:34 PM »

I think BT have been offering 10G in certain areas since 2012.  If memory serves correct, some company in Cornwall got it first and up until now it was only available from certain locations.

My understanding from the latest announcement is that it is now available Nationwide- as long as you are willing to stump up for installation.  I haven't checked, but I've no doubt this will /could run into several thousand £.

The company in Cornwall was possibly ARCOL UK (I remember the press guff) - but that was BT playing with X-GPON as part of the Superfast Cornwall stuff, so if BT ever gets the FTTP-is-actually-great epiphany that other formerly VDSL-leaning telcos are receiving, they might make that a commercial product for those who don't have the deep pockets for a leased line. Or perhaps for consumer/small business 1+Gbit if G.FAST can't deliver the goods

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 09:39:35 PM by sorc »