Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Concorde to fly again?  (Read 4114 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Concorde to fly again?
« on: September 19, 2015, 10:14:03 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34301689

I remember well the first time I heard the different sounding (read 'noisy') engines and looked up.  Wow, I thought,  that's Concorde!  That was late 1970s after I first arrived down south, living for a while under the flight path.

In 2003, towards the end of the service, I was again regularly spending time under the flight path.  The 'wow' moment hadn't worn off.   It thrilled me again, and I still miss it.

I do remember, at least in  the times I was under the flight path, it always flew on time.   You could literally set your clock by it.   Was it 11am and 7pm USA bound out of Heathrow, if I remember right?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Concorde to fly again?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 10:36:56 PM »

From what I've been reading on some of the aviation forums they will have a mountain to climb with the CAA who reportedly said after the Vulcan there will be no more. I some how think this is very very unlikely to happen as much as I'd like it to in some ways. They will need manufacturers support and I doubt this will be forthcoming.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 11:01:20 PM »

:(

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 08:35:58 AM »

It would be nice if it did fly again, I have vague memories of seeing it take off and land, Concorde always looked so graceful. My mother actually flew on it from Manston to Gatwick/Heathrow IIRC. That would of been before 1994, can't remember when though but it
used to fly into Manston  for the air show and they used to run trips around the Bay of Biscay and to Gatwick/Heathrow.
Here's another video of take off and landing at Manston.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 1147/105  ;D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 10:01:14 AM »

I also remember seeing it at Manston and I've been driving past Heathrow on the M25 when it has gone overhead - unmistakeable.

Dont really know why the BBC has dug this up, as I said earlier I honestly believe this will NEVER happen. The difference between Concorde and the Vulcan is that there were far more Vulcans built and hence far more airframes and spares but as has been seen this year the chances of the Vulcan continuing is slim to none. Resurrecting a Concorde is many orders of magnitude harder. See this thread on the Airshows forum.

Stuart

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 11:11:56 AM »

I watched the final flights landing live on TV.  Remember how the Heathrow controllers managed to stack the three concordes in sequence on approach?    What an image.

Didn't they even manage to get the inimitable  Raymond Baxter to do the commentary? Or am I imaging that bit?   :-\

But I also seem to remember, in the various documentaries at the time, it was stated that the 'surviving' planes would be deliberately rendered unsalvageable.  Not sure what they planned to do to them, but it sounded like something pretty terminal.    :(
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 11:22:21 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 01:05:37 PM »

The CAA will have to follow their own rules so I don't see what they can do to stop it given the funding that appears to be in place.

Frankly I'd have thought they had better things to do - like forcing scum like Ryanair to (finally) pay passengers compensation for delayed/cancelled flights over the last 9 years!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 02:43:29 PM »

If they have the funding, then why not.   London to NY in 3 hrs is incredible and I dont think there's anything like it today and we're still stuck with 5-6 hrs.  Doubt that it would be doing the commercial routes again though.

Yep it was 11am used to stay with my friend who lived nr Eton and woken quite a few times after a good Fri/Sat night session to the sound of it right overhead.   Cant recall the evening flight time other than it was about tea-time.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 05:07:51 PM »

Like I said eariler I dont think this will ever happen mainly because without manufacturers support (Airbus for airframe and Rolls Royce for engines) it is a non-starter and no matter how much money they have the CAA can stop it, nothing in the UK flys without a certificate of airworthiness and only the CAA can issue that. Airbus and RR I believe have no interest in supporting this, they have many more profitable things to do.

Stuart

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 05:38:43 PM »

Like I said eariler I dont think this will ever happen mainly because without manufacturers support (Airbus for airframe and Rolls Royce for engines) it is a non-starter and no matter how much money they have the CAA can stop it, nothing in the UK flys without a certificate of airworthiness and only the CAA can issue that. Airbus and RR I believe have no interest in supporting this, they have many more profitable things to do.

Stuart
I thought there was also a shortage of engineering skills to maintain it as well.
I think I remember hearing something along those lines over the years.

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2015, 05:42:21 PM »

RR don't have "many more profitable things to do" in this market - they're about to REALLY start losing money hand over fist in the engine market (plus they're going to get hit with billions in fines for bribery & probably blacklisted in the USA & large sections of Asia).

They've been getting rid of thousands of engineers (real engineers, not technicians) over the last year or two. Wife contracted for them for the best part of 20 years & they're going down the tubes rapidly since 2012 or so.

Personally I reckon its the usual story of greedy, corrupt execs & bonuses screwing up another company but I digress. RR will survive because HMG can't afford to lose the nuclear expertise in Derby but the engines division is in deep deep trouble.

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2015, 05:45:15 PM »

I thought there was also a shortage of engineering skills to maintain it as well.
I think I remember hearing something along those lines over the years.

That's the Vulcan you're thinking about & the engineering skills are literally dying out.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2015, 05:57:42 PM »

Right you are  :blush:

Aren't the engines similar though, I thought there was some connection between the Vulcan and Concorde ?

Not heavily in to Planes etc but the odd fact (half fact) sticks now and then  ;D

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 06:28:46 PM »

I thought there was some connection between the Vulcan and Concorde
Olympus engines, sort of.
The Concorde versions were a major development with reheat and about double the power of those in XH588.

There was also a Vulcan with a  prototype Concorde engine nacelle in the bomb bay for engine flight testing.
I've seen that close up doing it's "party trick" of full power on all engines from a low level, accelerating in a near-vertical climb. The noisiest thing I have ever experienced.  >:D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2015, 07:06:58 PM »

Olympus engines, sort of.
The Concorde versions were a major development with reheat and about double the power of those in XH588.

There was also a Vulcan with a  prototype Concorde engine nacelle in the bomb bay for engine flight testing.
I've seen that close up doing it's "party trick" of full power on all engines from a low level, accelerating in a near-vertical climb. The noisiest thing I have ever experienced.  >:D

I can imagine the noise, having seen an operational Vulcan being put through its paces in preparation for a forthcoming air display, in the early 1970s. A low level pass, from behind and over the heads of us observers, and then a full-throttle, with after-burners, almost vertical climb . . . (Nearly had the fur singed.)  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: [1] 2

anything