Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New VDSL2 modem/router needed  (Read 5138 times)

aneesh99

New VDSL2 modem/router needed
« on: August 15, 2015, 01:46:46 PM »

Hey all, first time poster checking in! :)

So I mostly run a a wired home network - ISP is Plusnet on the good old ADSL2+. My current modem router is a TP Link W8970 which feeds a few devices and a switch via Cat5e. The switch is connected to the Plusnet router (582n) in bridge mode on the other side of the house to provide additional ethernet and wi-fi access. I'm sort of sick of the plusnet router and I've got fibre on the way, so I was thinking of moving the W8970 to the otherside of the house and getting a VDSL2 modem/router.

I considered the TP Link 9980 but I've been trawling through it's thread and it looks like a pain with the linestats and possible reduction in speed with certain OR configurations. The big plus for me was GBe and the value offered. I've been looking at taking the hit and looking into the Billion 8800AXL or the ZyXEL VMG8324 as well. The more I read about them, the less convinced I feel about purchasing one of the three!

tl; dr - need a VDSL2 modem/router which has GBe, reliable/effective 2.4GHz range for less than £150.

Thanks!

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: New VDSL2 modem/router needed
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 04:06:45 PM »

If it's the 8970 v1, you could put the 9980 firmware on it, then it would be much the same as the 9980, but without 5GHz wireless.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 04:25:03 PM »

just a suggestion - -:)

Say you forget wireless, get yourself a wireless access point that suits your needs, splits the decision.

Go for 5 GHz ? Loads of channels, good if you have neighbours, of course you need 5GHz kit, unless you get a dual band one.

I use several TP-Link 5GHz-only WAPs, and a couple of dual-band Zyxel units which can do multiple SSIDs which is very nice.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 10:37:20 PM »

Hi and welcome.

Can you let us know what your FTTC speed is estimated at? - Just checking that its not a long line.

Just over a year ago there was hardly any choice for combined units, and I think most that have entered the market have had some glitch or other.
We are a picky lot on here when it comes to our own routers.  If you are wanting a combined unit, then personally I'd be looking at Billion or Zyxel.

On the whole the Billions are quite good and I think you'll find a lot of members are very happy with theirs.  The 8800NL seems to be the most favoured but unfortunately it doesnt meet your requirements for GbE.

The VMG8324 has had some buggy f/w, but Im running an older version and not bothered to upgrade because I find it very stable on my line and its wifi is good.  The Zyxel SBG3300 has quite a fan base too, its a small business grade router so a bit more expensive, its downside is that it was one of the very first stable combined units and in that respect an 'older model'.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 10:39:32 PM »

I don't find much of a difference between the Huawei HG612 and ZyXEL VMG8324 to be honest. The Billion 8800NL also performs similarly.

In short, I don't think you'll notice much of a difference between different Broadcom-based modems/modem routers...

aneesh99

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 11:46:41 AM »

The bad news is my 8970 has apparently decided to throw a hissy fit and desync after 30 mins so I'm back to my old 582n :/

I can tell you that the estimated ADSL2+ speeds are quite a way off what I'm getting, currently synced at 888/15,207. Just checked what cab type it is, I believe it's a Huawei one but I'll double check that when I run past it later. It's 583m direct from home to cab, 1.1ishkm by road. 940m direct and 2.1km by road from cab to exchange.

My reason for needing a modem router at the master socket with multiple GBe ports is that the lounge is next to my master socket and feed my TV and hifi. Saves me having to have another unmanaged switch
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 12:12:38 PM by aneesh99 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 08:11:43 PM »

The adsl2+ estimates are usually conservative. Road is normally more reliable than crow flies when it comes to distance. 

With FTTC I doubt you'd get 78Mbps if the line length to cab is 1.1 km.   You may get a higher speed for a short while if the cab is new, but crosstalk will soon eat at some of that as more users are added to the cab.   All in all though your estimate looks fine and its not a loooooooong line.

Based on your requirements and what you need then out of the bunch of them and bearing in mind your budget, if it was me I'd be looking at the 8800AXL, VMG8324 or VMG8924.  Another one to perhaps consider would be the Netgear D6400

They all contain the same chipset so performance wise much of a muchness.    Each has their own glitches but as I mentioned earlier, we are a picky lot on here and most people may not have any issues.   On the whole I can say I am very happy with my VMG8324 even though I do moan a wee bit about the firmware - its rock steady and the best performer for my line and the one I always go back to by choice.    Seeee we are never 100% happy  :D

There is another alternative just come on to the market with is the TP-link Archer VR900 which also meets your requirements.    There's a couple of us beta testing it atm and we cant say much yet until testing is complete.  After which time I'll write a review,  but Im not letting any cats out of the bag if I say the wifi is brilliant, but its very disappointing there's no proper stats.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 09:22:41 PM »

Just to add some balance, I find the VMG8324 produces the same sync speed on my line as the Huawei HG612, yet generates far more ES and CRCs, so YMMV.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 09:41:26 PM »

YMMV

Indeed...  which is why I wanted to know what speeds BTw projected for the line.   

Yours is a medium length line and has an awful lot of noise variance, so more likely to throw more errors :/  The vast majority have got more with a VMG8324 but there is the odd exception.   Ronski is also on a med line and he got a few Mbps more with his, same with Aardvark.   The 63168 chipset based modems are the only ones that currently allow me a full 80/20.   The HG612 doesnt nor the lantiqs which for me are quite a lot worse :(    Last Oct when I had some sort of line fault I put the HG612 back on, but I was throwing more errors on that and getting less sync, so I soon swapped back to the Zyxel.
-----

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 10:15:08 PM »

When I have the issues on my line resolved, I will be glad to come back to you with a perhaps more accurate view of the VMG8324's performance :)

But, from an 800m line effected by a lot of noise, as you say Kitz, the HG612 seems to perform the best in my situation. I am surprised though as I believed the VMG8324 to have an RFI filter...

aneesh99

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 11:18:08 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions all, much appreciated!

I reckon I'm between the 8800AXL and the VMG8324 since I now need something asap to replace my poorly functioning W8970. Any way of me finding out just how good/bad my line is? I'd be inclined to buy a VMG8324 if I knew that in all likelihood I won't have issues down the road.

The 8800AXL thread seems a little light on posts - does anyone have any experience with it? Seen a few reviews and forum posts about lacklustre wifi :/

aneesh99

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 07:05:34 PM »

Well, I picked up the Zyxel from Eclipse. Got it today, set it up, tweaked the home network and it's been running pretty well! Not many errors, wi-fi is good (shame about the lack of 5Ghz but hey ho), really liking the interface. It's running on 1.00(AAKL.5) firmware, I'll probably not tempt fate and leave it be for now!

On a seperate note, with my 8970 being sort of dead and having to resort to the crappy 582n, can anyone recommend another router or access point with good wi-fi and more importantly GbE?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 07:07:59 PM by aneesh99 »

anything