Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Homehub 3.0a unlocking, don't have permission to edit files in /sys/etc  (Read 2471 times)

doooford

• Just arrived

Good morning, I've been trying to get my Homehub to work with my Talktalk account. I got to this stage (so have downgraded to version 4.7.5.1.83.8.57)

1: Getting root
1.1: Reset router to defaults
1.2: Pop the USB drive into the HomeHub 3A
1.3: In the 3A unlock folder you downloaded and extracted to your PC (Not the USB1 folder) select the utelnetd and the smb.conf files, then select edit >> copy
1.4: Open My Computer and type in \\192.168.1.254\usb1.
1.5: Double click the SYS folder and then the ETC folder
1.6: Select Edit >> Paste and confirm overwriting the smb.conf file.

But at point 1.6 when pasting files I get a message that the folder can only be edited by BTHUB3\Admin.
I have tried doing it through my Ubuntu system but the same thing, how can I look like the router admin?

Many thanks
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 11:43:52 AM by doooford »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

I am sorry but I am unable to assist you in your quest.  :no:  However a standard TalkTalk broadband service does not need any credentials (username/password) to authenticate, it just makes use of the CLI (calling line indicator).

As a TT service user (of over eight years), when setting up a modem/router that requires some data in the username and password fields I routinely enter bcat and dummy in those locations.

Have you actually tried using the HH3 in its default configuration?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen

Hello doooford have wanted to to unlock the HH3A but can't get my hands on the download files where could i get them and the instructions ?