Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Lowish speeds for 450m line  (Read 12892 times)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Re: Lowish speeds for 450m line
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2015, 09:50:13 AM »

Perhaps you might be connected to another cabinet than the one across the road?

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2015, 10:01:43 AM »

I do have the speed estimates for our area, but I haven't plotted them, I may well do this to see what happens .  Heres a section of a PM I received some time ago. I will let you guess the source.

I can tell you that you do appear to be fed via the Cabinet outside XXXXX. It does not show you as going through an SCP.
You are quite correct with your assumptions as to how the cable feeds. I have measured it exactly as it runs through our ducts, and it is (give or take 10mtrs) 400mtrs to an underground JF6 (Jointbox Footway 6) just passed XXXX.
Appears is a 'careful and wary' word in my estimation! With plotting I'd be generous with the points chosen, and use a selection of house numbers within a post code,, Even a moderate estate road may have several.

JF6 is just across the road from my house, so allowing for line from there into my house makes 450 meters. He couldn't tell what the line was made of but suspects there may be ally involved. Of course bt records could be wrong.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2015, 10:38:44 AM »

are you sure the line from the junction box goes across the road to you instead of to the end of the road and back?

With your figures I find it very hard to believe you anything even close to 400m.

I can't be sure, but it's a Cul-de-sac so extremely unlikely. When I first questioned the speed v distance on Think Broadband forums there were some users at  around the same distance with the same speeds but we were at the very bottom end for that distance, most got more with some achieving full speeds, my upload has almost halved since then though.

Perhaps you might be connected to another cabinet than the one across the road?

The cabinets not across the road, the footway junction box is. I've mapped all local cabinets, so I know exactly where they all are and I'm definitely on the cabinet I know I'm on, BT Wholesale checker confirms cabinet number. I've have also written automated software to scrape estimates and other information from the wholesale checker, so I do have loads of data available to plot speeds v distance for out estate.

I may have some further information later relating to the make up of my line.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 1147/105  ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2015, 06:42:04 PM »

Just a thought for possible consideration, Ron . . .

Borrow or hire a TDR (time domain reflectometer) for a weekend and then note the electrical length to each observed feature of the trace.

If I am remembering what you have said in the past, you are connected via an ECI cabinet. Never having checked a line connected via that make of cabinets, I do not know it they also "beacon" their presence in the TDR trace just as the Huawei equipped cabinets appear to so do.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2015, 08:12:08 PM »

Yes I am on an ECI cabinet, but I have no idea where to beg, borrow or hire a TDR, but the results would be interesting.

Line has been confirmed as being between 445 and 455 meters to my house, but he still can't conclusively tell if I'm on ally, although there is a 30 pair ally cable on the estate so it's highly likely.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2015, 11:28:15 PM »

Well tonight I downloaded the complete speed estimates for the whole estate, all 570 odd house's  :cool:

There's a small close just along the road from our house about 50 meters further away from the cab, 5 properties in that close have estimates of 40/8, 5 have 77.6/20 and the last 2 have 46.1/10. Strange how there is so much difference in the estimates.

My road with ranges from 37.7/7.5 to 49.9/11.8

I've used Googles Fusion maps to plot the values, but unfortunately even though I have a full address it doesn't seem to plot them very well. Was hoping to make a heat map, but it doesn't seem to work, or more likely it's not quite what I think it is. I wanted a colour gradient linked to the speed.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2015, 11:31:43 PM »

where you download from?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 06:37:33 AM »

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html using the address checker and a program I wrote.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 09:12:10 AM »

Might the Royal Mail Postcode checker address finder map be another useful tool? In the past I used to deliver Christmas cards and then it seemed quite finely tuned mapwise

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2015, 09:43:00 AM »

Yes I am on an ECI cabinet, but I have no idea where to beg, borrow or hire a TDR, but the results would be interesting.

I'm on an ECI cab and a BT Mole doesn't show anything at ca 800m where the cab is when I last used it - if you PM me an address you can borrow mine if you cover the postage both ways please after (donation to MDWS)? It has all the leads and an adaptor I made to plug straight into the phone socket... Display is a bit grotty but it works.

Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2015, 10:05:16 AM »

The CAB/DSLAM does not show with a TDR on my FTTC/ECI line. Previously on adsl there was a blip where the CAB was expected and weak blip at the expected exchange distance.

I guess an engineer would short or open circuit the line a the CAB to use the TDR and see the line length.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2015, 10:18:01 AM »

Might the Royal Mail Postcode checker address finder map be another useful tool? In the past I used to deliver Christmas cards and then it seemed quite finely tuned mapwise

It's needs to be something automated, I don't have the time to plot 570 addresses manually. I need to give it a list of addresses  and it returns longitude and latitude coordinates. Not sure why the Google gecoder  isn't  working very accurately.

PS. tbailey2 I've sent you a PM.

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2015, 10:40:00 AM »

There's a small close just along the road from our house about 50 meters further away from the cab, 5 properties in that close have estimates of 40/8, 5 have 77.6/20 and the last 2 have 46.1/10. Strange how there is so much difference in the estimates.

For me (and my neighbours) I noticed that the 'speed estimates' changed quite dramatically once lines were moved to FTTC. It looked like the estimates were far too optimistic and after a few weeks using FTTC the estimates on live connections were downgraded.

Perhaps this would explain some of the difference in estimates you are seeing as some lines will be on ADSL and some VDSL?

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2015, 10:42:36 AM »

It's needs to be something automated, I don't have the time to plot 570 addresses manually. I need to give it a list of addresses  and it returns longitude and latitude coordinates. Not sure why the Google gecoder  isn't  working very accurately.
This? http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/geocoder/

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2015, 11:27:31 AM »

Just my opinion, but in Ronski's case he' be chucking good money away on the borrow of the 'Mole'. The line-length to the Cab has already been calculated ??
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4