Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Lowish speeds for 450m line  (Read 12903 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Lowish speeds for 450m line
« on: June 26, 2015, 07:21:16 PM »

I happened to mention in another thread that I had quite low speeds for a 450m line. My line went live in August 2012, first on the cabinet I believe. I've never had great speeds given the distance, and I did try and get PN/BTor to look into it, but never got anywhere apart from a basic internal check. I'm not particularly bothered about it either, although with the upstream decreasing so much that is starting to get worrisome.

So for those that want to take a look at graphs I've attached some from September 2012 and the next post has some from yesterday, if you want any more just ask.

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 1147/105  ;D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Lowish speeds for 450m line
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 07:22:46 PM »

And from yesterday

KIAB

• Reg Member

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 08:24:46 PM »

Well Ron if you what a comparison on what a line looks like @ 1000m thats me or Baldeagle1 @ 1200m with crosstalk, a line of 450m should be doing much better but it could be all down to the metallic pathway joins and the condition of the copper or aluminum cable to your premises.

Even with all my whinging i think my line is well above average for 1000m thats because the metallic pathway seems to be in good condition  ;)

lf2k

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 09:24:01 PM »

@Ronski: I guess you're confident @ the 450M estimate?  tbh that looks about normal - you're interleaved so that won't be helping your downstream (which looks OK), and I'm guessing you're in an area with high uptake, so cross talk has a (large) part to play.  I don't know, but presumably this worsens with line length?  I'm unsure whether crosstalk affects your upstream more than down, but given that the amount of sync you have to play with on upstream I'd guess we're more likely to notice it... I'm praying no-one else round here signs up to "Infinity" since I was pretty pee'd off when I went from 18 down to 9.5!

Other than that, matching a Broadcom based modem with an ECI cabinet might be something else that isn't in your favour?  Just throwing out random thoughts...

As KIAB mentioned, maybe worth upgrading your router firmware for a more up to date modem blob?  I've seen other people moaning about the Zyxel, but I know you're a dab hand at this kind of thing (completely unrelated, but enjoyed your posts on AVForums about your cinema room!)

@NewtronStar: you say you're 1KM, how certain are you of that?  BaldEagle1 mentioned in another thread that he was 1.1KM (he even posted a JDSU screen shot) so I'm not sure why I (and you!) thought he was 1.2KM, apologies if I've added any confusion...  The differences (and similarities) between your two lines are interesting! :)

I think, looking at the stuff on MDWS, I can build up a fairly decent picture of what an HLOG should look like depending on distance - so knowing you're 1K is useful for future comparisons!  Also notice that you had G.INP and they took it away - did this really make much of a difference to your attainable?  (again, this is useful for comparisons)...

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 10:26:16 PM »

@NewtronStar: you say you're 1KM, how certain are you of that?  BaldEagle1 mentioned in another thread that he was 1.1KM (he even posted a JDSU screen shot) so I'm not sure why I (and you!) thought he was 1.2KM, apologies if I've added any confusion...  The differences (and similarities) between your two lines are interesting! :)

Well it's been confirmed by an Openreach Engineer after a full test the JDSU was showing my line at 1KM (1000m)  ;)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 10:55:42 PM »

My distance was confirmed my a member of these very forums, but unfortunately he couldn't confirm what the line was made from. As I said above I'm not particularly fussed about the speed, and I doubt much can realistically be done, and only posted because someone wanted to see the graphs, and it was derailing another thread. I've no idea how high uptake is, I used to get about 10mbps on ADSL so it's not that low as to encourage uptake, I know my neighbour has fibre, no idea about anyone else.

I do need to get around to updating the modem, I actually have the 10CO version ready to install, problem is time is so short and  moving from the current firmware requires everything to be set up again. The cinema build took a lot of time (done 98% of the work myself) and research so a lot of other stuff has got behind, and now it's almost finished I keep wanting to watch films  ;D

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 12:49:36 AM »

I have been following your cinema build, it looks great.
How was the 'Zip' wire ride when you was on holiday ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 04:36:09 AM »

damn sorry ronski, I gave you the itch to get it fixed :(

anyway based on your d1 attenuation I think 450m is way off.

either its about 700-800m or its 450m with a pretty big fault or very thin cabling.

my d1 attenuation is 9.8db and my line is close to 400m.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 04:45:10 AM by Chrysalis »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 08:40:16 AM »

Zip wire was brilliant, even the wife enjoyed it once she got going, she hated the hanging around waiting to go. We had a great week and the weather wasn't too bad either.

Distance is 450m,  our estate was built in 74. Cables are just buried with no ducts, although they are armoured  cables to the house at least. I did ask the neighbour a long time ago What he was getting and he thought it was around 55, so wasn't a lot more. I  think it's just bad cabling, with a possible  fault some where as we do get a change in SNRM when using the phone, but at the moment  the service is OK. I won't report it until  it deteriorates more.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 12:04:49 PM »

Straight line from cab to house, with no closes off?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 12:39:32 PM »

It's not a straight line to the house, cab is on the main road along the side of the estate, we're just off the road that goes through the estate, so it passes a few side roads on it's way to us.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 02:20:41 PM »

As I may have said before, there is a similar situation local to me. Two houses, adjacent on the main route have entirely different speeds, as the cable loops around a large close from the one to the other. Have you tried plotting the expected speeds of different premises including the side roads. I have and it was very surprising how the cable ran.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 06:25:42 AM »

I do have the speed estimates for our area, but I haven't plotted them, I may well do this to see what happens .  Heres a section of a PM I received some time ago. I will let you guess the source.

I can tell you that you do appear to be fed via the Cabinet outside XXXXX. It does not show you as going through an SCP.
You are quite correct with your assumptions as to how the cable feeds. I have measured it exactly as it runs through our ducts, and it is (give or take 10mtrs) 400mtrs to an underground JF6 (Jointbox Footway 6) just passed XXXX.

JF6 is just across the road from my house, so allowing for line from there into my house makes 450 meters. He couldn't tell what the line was made of but suspects there may be ally involved. Of course bt records could be wrong.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 06:28:04 AM by Ronski »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 07:26:38 AM »

are you sure the line from the junction box goes across the road to you instead of to the end of the road and back?

With your figures I find it very hard to believe you anything even close to 400m.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything