Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22

Author Topic: FTTC woes  (Read 64657 times)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: FTTC woes
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2015, 11:16:33 PM »

Notably theres a decrease overnight quite substantially of the SNR margin. Which indicates an RFI related issue.

The ES count is low though, so DLM won't be likely to intervene. As for what's causing it, not sure? One of the others will I'm sure spot something soon.
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2015, 11:17:23 PM »

Some graphs may be useful for a quick look.

What I have seen on MDWS recently seems to suggest quite a SNRM disturbance, generally peaking at around 22:00 each evening.

Any idea if anything in your own home could be the cause?

Could you upload your most recent modem_stats.log somewhere (or email it to me)?

Then could you please upload it again when it has at least 8 days of 24/7 logging in it?

« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 11:21:16 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2015, 08:36:02 AM »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2015, 10:54:14 AM »

http://www.filedropper.com/modemstats :)

Sorry but I will not be signing up to some other site just to download your log file.  :no:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2015, 11:15:36 AM »

http://www.filedropper.com/modemstats :)

Sorry but I will not be signing up to some other site just to download your log file.  :no:

? You don't need to, select Download This File, then enter the Captcha and hit Download Now....
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2015, 11:53:08 AM »

Using the log you uploaded (no signup required, b*cat), I have attached a montage for your connection, covering the last 6 days.

As SNRM is of most concern, I have also attached a higher resolution image of combined DS/US SNRM for the same period that can be zoomed in to in order to see finer details.

We can now see a general pattern for the timing of the issue, with the increases in error counts being the result of the reduced SNR/SNRM.

From memory, NewtonStar had/has a similar issue during the evenings.
His QLN graph indicates the frequencies being affected are those used by Radio China (or some other radio station(s).

This is not particularly unusual overnight, as you may/may not have noticed when scrolling through Medium Wave/AM radio stations during hours of darkness.
A lot of foreign stations can be clearly heard that are simply not heard during daylight hours.

Whereabouts are you located?
Someone else may be able to suggest which radio stations might be having this effect upon your connection.

My own connection doesn't appear to be too affected by this phenomenon, but I can clearly hear a Spanish radio station from around 20:00 each night.

I do also have some slight concerns regarding the appearance of your Hlog graphs that you have posted previously.
There is SOME indication of a possible HR issue at the higher frequencies that you connection can use.

There may be some mileage in rebooting the modem at around 22:00 or 23:00 one night (when SNRM generally seems to be at its worst), just to see what difference it makes to your QLN graph.

Doing this would no doubt result in lower sync speeds, so another reboot during daylight hours may restore the sync speed, but re-introduce increased error counts during the evenings.

What I have mentioned above could all be a red herring, but if not, it appears you would be unable to do much about it.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 11:55:41 AM by Bald_Eagle1 »

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2015, 10:07:41 PM »

Rebooted just now. Hlog and QLN graphs attached.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2015, 10:42:26 PM »

Unfortunately, the 22:05 timing for that modem reboot couldn't have been much worse (as far as the experiment was concerned) as SNRM was actually at its highest levels (see the attached graph).

A few minutes earlier or a few minutes later would have been a different story.

I wouldn't recommend you keep rebooting the modem too often as DLM is likely to somewhat aggressive action.

If you do intend to try it again, I would suggest that you watch MDWS updating every minute & choose a time when SNRM is particularly low (around 4 dB or so).

« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 10:44:47 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2015, 11:03:37 PM »

Oh dear.

TalkTalk still wish to send an engineer. Should we go ahead with this?

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2015, 12:01:46 AM »

Oh dear.

TalkTalk still wish to send an engineer. Should we go ahead with this?

Depends, double check its not a "Bright"spark ::) engineer and it is actually an Openreach engineer.
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2015, 07:26:45 AM »

If TalkTalk are still seeing indications of a 'fault', it may be worth arranging the engineer's visit.

However, depending on what time he/she arrived, your connection could appear to be 'operating within acceptable limits' when tested on site.

See the attached graphs for the period between 06:01 12th June & 06:00 13th.
A line test between 11:00 & 13:00 on the 12th wouldn't really have identified a problem.

A TDR line test to identify potential causes of the 'issue' shown in your Hlog graph probably wouldn't have been conducted.
The Hlog graph does show that 'something' isn't quite right, but it COULD just be that the connection struggles to make use of those higher tones/frequencies, using what it can in a bit of a 'hit & miss' manner.
The disturbance at those higher frequencies is quite slight, but the fact that it cuts off suddenly does seem to indicate (to me) that some sort of physical 'issue' is present.

Between 22:00 & 23:00 on 12th would have been an ideal time for an engineer to conduct physical line tests whilst on site etc, but I can't see much scope for an engineer to be visiting user premises at that time of night.

Not all engineers are interested in looking at users' own graphs and/or listening to user anecdotes etc, so it could be the luck of the draw regarding the type of engineer that attends.

Your Interleaving depths & INP values do indicate that DLM took action due to seeing sufficient errors.
Whether or not BTOR would class that as a fault & fully investigate is questionable as many users' connections do need old fashioned Interleaving or G.INP to be applied to provide reasonable levels of stability/speed.

Have TalkTalk actually confirmed with you what type of 'fault' they are/were seeing?

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2015, 08:19:56 AM »

They said they were unable to find a fault on the last test they did but on the previous one they did.

This is coming from the CEO's office.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2015, 08:21:53 AM »

What I would like to know is if losing 10Mb in one sync would be considered a fault?

The SNRM got stuck at 4dB for two days. The connection eventually dropped and since then the connection has been 10Mb slower.

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2015, 12:13:44 PM »

Anyone fancy summarising this? :D

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2015, 12:25:22 PM »

What I would like to know is if losing 10Mb in one sync would be considered a fault?

The SNRM got stuck at 4dB for two days. The connection eventually dropped and since then the connection has been 10Mb slower.
I lost approx 20Mb the line was holding on at 1-2db it finally dropped.  My best guess is crosstalk as it drops a further 1 or 2Mb every so often.  The 20Mb drop I assume was a major disturber.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22