Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22

Author Topic: FTTC woes  (Read 64658 times)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Re: FTTC woes
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 11:54:20 AM »

From a quick look at the aforementioned website, my line would appear to be running at an appropriate speed for its length, however that is using approximately half the tones that it should be.

So in that respect, my line should, when it is running properly perform above average?

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2015, 11:55:44 AM »

From a quick look at the aforementioned website, my line would appear to be running at an appropriate speed for its length, however that is using approximately half the tones that it should be.

So in that respect, my line should, when it is running properly perform above average?

The missing tones may indicate a problem either interference or a fault.
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2015, 11:55:55 AM »

Thank you for your response.

I had forgotten that I had previously registered for this fantastic website :)

Just looked at your stats and checked MDWS. What's the weather like at the moment? Is it raining?

No it is not.

Why haven't some of the graphs uploaded (e.g. the Hlog)? Does that happen overtime perhaps?

lf2k

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2015, 12:18:53 PM »

HLOG, Quiet Line etc normally get sent each resync - depending on what you're using to upload the stats you might need to check some boxes to upload the additional info.

(I switched over to using the Raspberry Pi the other day and had to check some additional boxes from memory)

Just found your stats and have compared with mine - there's something very odd about how you line just drops off after a certain frequency (as others have pointed out).

I then checked some people close to you in terms of down/up speeds (HyssSnake and digginsa) and if you check their HLOG and Bits/Tone graphs you'll notice theirs tail-off gradually - yours ends abruptly.

Soooo....

Either there's something wrong with your line (outside the house) - perhaps you've got a lot of neighbours/crosstalk, perhaps you're close to a AM radio transmitter - or there's something wrong inside your house (most likely).

I read on your other thread that you didn't want to move the master socket, and there's some extension wiring in the house -  that's probably the starting point for diagnosis.  On top of this you might have duff filter/filters, crappy modem lead or crappy modem... or your modem is sat on top of a microwave oven (or something else which generates a lot of noise).

I'll have a read through your other posts and see if there's anything that jumps out...

*Edit*

So a quick look at your stats so far (and you need to keep these running for a couple of days really) is that you're currently in pole position in terms of CRC errors out of everyone else actively uploading stats right now (and many of those have longer lines/worse speeds). [OK, this keeps changing, but you're always in the top 3!]

This really does point to you needing to check over your extensions/wiring/filters.  :(
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 01:37:13 PM by lf2k »

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2015, 02:59:59 PM »

I've been plugged into the test socket since the last resync :(

lf2k

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2015, 03:26:24 PM »

Ah.

Bugger.   :(

Are you using a microfilter then?  Possibly an idea to try another?

Is your mastersocket the entry point for the cable in to the house, or has it been moved?  They can go wrong (just like a microfilter), but I guess we're in to fault raising territory now.

In one of your other posts you mentioned the cables all (well nearly all) being over head - I guess it's possible there's a fault there?

You also mention being 750M-ish from the cab, so you're probably doing a lot better than you ought to be - with that level of CRCs and you still don't have interleaving.  This is really quite puzzling... :shrug2:

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2015, 03:37:11 PM »

Are you using a microfilter then?  Possibly an idea to try another?

The NTE5 has a MK3 faceplate on it currently; I was only using a filter for the test socket test. Previously I used a MK2 faceplate with FTTC and the line was identical.

Is your mastersocket the entry point for the cable in to the house, or has it been moved?  They can go wrong (just like a microfilter), but I guess we're in to fault raising territory now.

It is the entry point. It hasn't been moved (yet).

In one of your other posts you mentioned the cables all (well nearly all) being over head - I guess it's possible there's a fault there?

The line to the house was (as I recall) replaced a few years ago but I don't think the line between the cabinet and the pole has ever been changed (must be 20 or more years old now: I do believe it is all copper however).

You also mention being 750M-ish from the cab, so you're probably doing a lot better than you ought to be - with that level of CRCs and you still don't have interleaving.  This is really quite puzzling... :shrug2:

The weird thing is that DLM turned on interleaving and the line was still erroring like crazy, so I was very surprised this morning to discover that it had turned it off! :no:

Are OR going to accept a fault if the line is running as it should be? With only half the tones being used, might I expect that the speed should actually be better? I do recall one user on here getting 70Mb downstream on a nearly identical line length to mine but that's very rare.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2015, 03:46:01 PM »

Are OR going to accept a fault if the line is running as it should be? With only half the tones being used, might I expect that the speed should actually be better? I do recall one user on here getting 70Mb downstream on a nearly identical line length to mine but that's very rare.

OR will accept a fault if the speeds are lower than the minimum impacted speed - that can be found on the BT Wholesale checker (use address for TalkTalk). https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

They will also accept a fault I believe if there's lots of resyncs or there's a voice fault. The nitty gritty we all know about here doesn't normally constitute OR accepting a fault (or TalkTalk's tech support understanding what it even means). They usually run the line test, if it passes then nothing can be done as far as OR is concerned.
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2015, 04:01:55 PM »

Well luckily for me TalkTalk's OCEs ran a line test and it is indicating a fault.

lf2k

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2015, 04:10:30 PM »

Hmmm...  your SNRM is fluctuating wildly - in the minute or so I composed the attached image you went from 6.1 > 7.0 > 5.0... it shouldn't be doing that!

You've got a lot more bits per tone (on the tones that work), which is interesting.

I'll be honest, if I were sitting there next to your master socket I'd have a phone plugged in - I'd then unscrew the socket so I could see the wires going on the back and then give them a wiggle with phone off the hook and listen for crackles.  I'd probably attempt to refix the wires if they were loose and crackly (with nothing connected to the socket).

...but...

...that SNRM... is it windy where you are today?!  That could the overhead cables blowing about... (just thinking out loud).

lf2k

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2015, 04:11:09 PM »

Well luckily for me TalkTalk's OCEs ran a line test and it is indicating a fault.
Progress!!!  ;D

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2015, 04:24:27 PM »

Not very windy here today. DSLstats confirms that the SNRM is fluctuating like crazy :-\

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2015, 05:14:17 PM »

How do I graph the SNRM over time with the HG612 modem stats programs?

Edit 2: I've attached the full monty ongoing stats for your enjoyment :lol:

Big increase in ES & CRC/OHFErr, as expected when being switched back to fastpath.

All the graphs are created individually & you can go back in time if you wish to focus on a particular element.

The examples I have attached are for the last 4 days from my own connection.
(I entered 4 d when running graphpd.exe).

« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 05:18:31 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2015, 05:20:57 PM »

Just a quick comment.

Looking at Alec's QLN plot makes me wonder if the circuit has poor AC balance.  :-\  That graph does show a lot of extraneous RF ingress . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2015, 07:26:57 PM »

No reply from the TalkTalk OCEs today.

What we need basically is an OR engineer who will look at my graphs, which I suspect may be quite difficult? :-\
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22

anything