Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HG612 sky ADSL2+ setup problem.  (Read 4732 times)

DeekB

• Just arrived
HG612 sky ADSL2+ setup problem.
« on: May 27, 2015, 08:21:13 PM »

Hi all,

I have came on here to seek some help is getting my HG612 modem\router to work alongside my buffalo daul band router.

Just a bit of background, I recently moved home and my new flat cannot get Virgin or Fibre as of yet, I recently had 152MB line with virgin so dropping back to adsl is killing me, even worse is that I am with sky and have the crappy SR102 hub they provided me with, Most of my network  consists of cabled connections that run a 1gigabit speeds so having the sky router/modem is a complete no no due to not supporting 1 gigabit, also I dont want to use this is a modem as I am a gamer and dont want to suffer double nat problems.

I found these forums and bought a HG612 modem, I have unlocked the modem and set it up using ADSL2+ on PPPOA, 0 + 38, VCmux, the Wan status page shows that the the modem is connected, it has DNS addresses, Gateway address and an IP address and a good sync rate which is all expected, I had a problem getting on-line with my laptop directly wired into Lan port 1 on the HG612, G chrome would say probing DNS started then it would report DNS probe complete no internet, I could ping the DNS servers ok, I then set the DNS servers manually in my tcpip settings on my windows 8 laptop which allowed me to get online directly witht he HG612, It took me a good few hours to get it working but I did get there in the end so I know the modem does go online with ADSL2+ fine.

So my next step was to tackle getting the HG612 to work with my buffalo router which runs DDWRT.

I have connected the modem lan port 1 to the Wan port on my Buffallo router which is a WZR-HP-AG300H and then lan port 2 of the HG612 to one of the switch ports on the WZR-HP-AG300H, I can connect wirelessly to the WZR-HP-AG300H and get access to the HG612 via this connection, Again I can see its connected to the DSLAM and has all the correct addresses you would expect but I cannot get the internet to work via the WZR-HP-AG300H.

To be honest I am a little lost with what settings I need to change where, I have been through a whole load of settings on the WZR-HP-AG300H and also on the HG612.

I have set up the ATM connections to give me a PPPOA connection to sky but can't get the buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H to pick up any addresses from the HG612 modem. I have tried the modem in bridged mode > Ip Bridged, Bridged mode >PPPOE Bridge I am not sure if there is any more settings that could be changed or amended on the HG612.

As for the WZR-HP-AG300H router I have tried settings up PPPOE, PPPOE dual with entering my sky username and password which I wiresharked from my sr102 hub, I have also tried setting the addresses the modem has been leased staticly to no avail.

I have been at this for a couple of days now with no luck, if only sky gave us the option to run the crappy router they provided in modem only mode that would be ideal for me but sadly things in life aren't that simple.

I have searched the web for guides ect ect and cannot seem to get internet via the WZR-HP-AG300H, I was wondering if anyone knew of any guides or could point me in the right direction of what settings need changed and where I may be going wrong with this set up that would be great cheers.

Also sorry for such the long thread but I thought best to post as much info as I could to aid helping me sort this out.

P.S. my Cabinet should be fibre enabled on the 30th sept 2015 so plan to get fibre once it goes live but again would want to use my own equipment rather than the crap sky has given me, I can't believe how far behind they are with their networking equipment really.

JamHam

Re: HG612 sky ADSL2+ setup problem.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 09:04:15 PM »

I don't know if it's the case on ADSL or not, but on Sky Fibre it's now possible to connect a Third party router with no user name or password.

I've had my Asus Dsl68u running username and password free for the last 3 days without any issue, maybe it's worth giving it a try and see if they've dropped it for ADSL too?

DeekB

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 09:34:45 PM »

the problem is my  router does not have a dsl modem its just a router that is used for virginmedia hence the reason for purchasing the HG612.

another problem I have is my master socket and only telephone socket where I can plug a modem router in is at my front door, So I have the modem plugged in there and run a cat 6 ethernet cable from its location into my living room where my router sits. I then have 2 cables that run from my router to upstairs in my flat and connect x2 netgear switches so its not really possible for me to put my router where the modem is currently plugged in, I.E. buy a adsl combined modem and router and place it in that location hence the reason I went for the modem option, Its killing me here having to drop back to a really slow connection and I have ran cables all through my home to help aid performance so only mobile devices are on wireless.

I honestly wish there was an easier way!

JamHam

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 09:41:41 PM »

My thought was for you to have the HG612, run lan 1 to the DDWRTs wan port.

In DDWRT set the WAN Connection as PPPoA, Leave user name blank, Leave Password Blank, Set the Annex Type to Annex A, And VPI/VCI to 0/38.

I figured it was the username and password that may cause an issue so possible try without?

DeekB

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 09:44:27 PM »

ah I see I get you now.

the router doesnt have a PPPOA option just PPPOE maybe this is why its not working. Also when you set PPPOE it doesnt give you any option to set VPI\VCI either, I suspected you would run the HG612 as PPPOA as it connects then set it to bridge and IP bridge and set the router as PPPOE and enter the details, I will try it without the details.

DeekB

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 09:52:07 PM »

would also be good to know what settings I should have on the HG612

I.E. I have it in bridged mode rather than route mode but I am unsure if I should be using IP bridged or PPPOE bridged mode.

I suspect it should be IP bridged mode but not 100% on this also the DDWRT router I suspect should be set to PPPOE but can't get a connection with it like this so really just looking for someone who maybe has something similar set up and can advise how they done it and what settings they used, Also please tell me where I am going wrong, I dont even know if what I am trying to set up should work, From what I have read online it should but can't seem to get it to somehow!

JamHam

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 09:52:59 PM »

Got to be honest, I think PPPoA is your only chance of it working.

Have you considered possibly trying OpenWrt if there is a build for your router (obviously check if PPPoA is supported first)?

JamHam

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 09:58:16 PM »

Your HG612 should be Bridge mode, You dont want it to do any of the routing at all, thats what the router is for.

Having looked around, your going to need PPPoA, its the only way. But I can see that OpenWRT is available for your router.

Problem is that its not as user friendly as DDWRT, but looks like there is a chance if you feel up for the challenge (I'm not the best with OpenWRT, I have no advice for you if you try I'm afraid).

DeekB

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 10:03:50 PM »

No problem thanks for the advice I really do appreciate it.

Do you know if the secondary setting to bridged mode should be set to IP bridged or PPPOE bridge.

I suspect it should be IP bridged but would just like to confirm, I may try open WRT but again like you I prefer a GUI rather than command line especially with linux based things as I am far from a guru at linux lol

again thanks for the suggestion, I suspect the settings on the DDWRT side are wrong and whats causing the problem I may even purchase a new router if it comes to it but ideally want to avoid that as I have everything set up the way I want it with the current setup, Worse thing is I have x2 of these routers with one acting as a WDS station and second as a WDS repeater so its alot of equipment to just bin and buy new stuff, I suppse I need to do some more looking into the DDWRT side of things.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 11:10:06 PM »

I remember in the distant past reading that Sky uses some weird authentication protocol (mer).  Never been a Sky user though so perhaps someone can confirm if they still use it and a google search with keywords sky mer is the way to go (hint)? 

DeekB

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 09:42:33 AM »

yea thats authentication using the modems mac address, very similair to how Virginmedia works as they do everything via the Mac your modem uses.

Thing is I was getting connected no problems using the HG612 as a modem set in router mode with my laptop connected to lan 1 or lan 2 its only when I try to set it to bridge mode so I can use my DDWRT router I get problems.

Also I am sure they no longer use MER as an authentication type they just use PPPOA and a username and password for authentication now.

Think I may require a new solution being a different modem from the HG612 as I dont think it supports what I am trying to get it to do which is convert PPPOA to PPPOE, I have been told a good solution is a draytek vigor 130 adsl bridge.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 11:21:46 AM by DeekB »

joaoasilva

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 10:56:43 PM »

Hi mate,

Did you ever sorted this thing out?

Kind regards