Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Do You Use Bus's ?  (Read 10189 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Do You Use Bus's ?
« on: February 22, 2008, 12:23:39 AM »

Hello all.
With my motor out of action, my daughter on school holidays and wanting to go to town ( well it's a city ! ), She persuaded me to take her on the bus.
It was a bit of an experience having not been on a service bus for about 40 years or more  ;) .
I seem to remember them having two poles from the roof to pick the power up from the overhead wires, we always thought it very funny when the 'dolly' came off the wires at junctions.
To say we live in the 'sticks' we have a bus every hour to our local city and it was full going and nearly full coming back.
 :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Re: Do You Use Bus's ?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 05:46:00 AM »

To say we live in the 'sticks' we have a bus every hour to our local city and it was full going and nearly full coming back.

If you were 'in the sticks' in Norfolk, you'd be lucky to have one bus a day.

I'm a non-car owner (never had a license), but I only use the buses occasionally, as most of what I need for living and working is within 20 minutes walk of home - yes I live in the centre of a city - so I can't comment too much about the buses, but I will say that they have got far worse since First took over running them.  All they do is tinker with the routes, provide a poor service, and don't give a damn about their customers.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 08:16:33 AM »

Not been on a bus for years...  I think last time I used public transport was the trams in Sheffield.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 08:37:08 AM »

yeah, same here .. my last one was a tram to 'star gate' in blackpool last illuminations.

Paul

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 08:56:48 AM »

Last time I went on a bus must have been about 6 or 7 years ago, we caught the bus up to town for a night out lol!

Been on the train more recently, but I reckon that was well over 4 years ago or more.
Chris

Achilles Last Stand

• Kitizen
  • http://www.saveplanetrock.co.uk/ Save Planet Rock!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 09:07:45 AM »

We have 2 buses an hour where I live - but on Sundays and Bank Holidays the last bus is at 6pm so no good if you want to have a drink  :no:

I get the bus every Thursday night as I play in a crib league and have a few beers.  The last bus home can be quite entertaining sometimes and it's usually the same driver who now stops opposite my house instead of at the bus stop further down the road  8)

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 09:44:16 AM »

We have 2 buses an hour where I live - but on Sundays and Bank Holidays the last bus is at 6pm so no good if you want to have a drink  :no:

Do they serve beer on your buses, Steph?  :lol:

I get the bus every Thursday night as I play in a crib league and have a few beers. 

Does it not spill when it goes round corners a bit sharpish?  :lol: :lol:

dave

Achilles Last Stand

• Kitizen
  • http://www.saveplanetrock.co.uk/ Save Planet Rock!
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 11:30:57 AM »

~sighs~

:lol:

:drink:

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 12:03:57 PM »

Not been on a bus for years...  I think last time I used public transport was the trams in Sheffield.

Was that the supertram which has been running for about 15 yrs or the ordinary trams which stopped running in the late 50,s  :-X

I,ve never been on the supertram,its a case of if you live on the route fine,but people won,t walk a distance to use the trams when they live on a bus route.

Edit. Nice to know 'The Great One' has visited my city.   :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 12:06:08 PM by UncleUB »

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 12:09:02 PM »

Edit. Nice to know 'The Great One' has visited my city.   :)

Heh - well that's where PlusNet are based... I've been there a few times myself to partake in PlusNet UserGroup meets... er, whaddya mean you don't care? *grin* :lol:
Chris

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 12:32:37 PM »

Phil,
Do the supertrams have bars and crib games on them like the buses down Steph's way?
If so it will be better with the wider turning circles than her bus. Not so much spillage and you should be able to get a full glass.
 :P
dave

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 12:35:51 PM »

Yeah,and broadband connection (the line attenuation can vary though)  :lol:

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 12:43:23 PM »

(the line attenuation can vary though)  :lol:

Or is that the beer-to-person ratio? ;)
Chris

scottiesmum

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 02:36:10 PM »

If I go to our nearest City, Bordeaux I use the tram .....I have a 20 minute car journey to the Park and Ride area .... return ticket  2€ 60 centimes (approximately £1.50  - regardless of how many in car)  includes enclosed car parking  ...the trams are clean, regular, and on time, and the ticket entitles me to an onward journey either by tram or bus within the hour... 

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 03:13:56 PM »

In the 17 years I've lived in Norwich I've only used the bus twice.

1st time I needed to get from the airport to the city centre. the bus was late, the driver seemed confused as to where I wanted to get to "Is that Anglia Square ?" "No the castle is further on from there." "Sorry never been to Norwich before, this is my 1st time."  I was looking to see if he was kidding, there was a strip of paper taped near the steering wheel with what looked like Rally pace notes telling him which turns & stops to make. :o

We got quite close to the detination we needed when while at a pedestrian crossing the driver burst out into some sort of demonic laugh, slapping the sterring wheel with one hand muttering "dear oh dear" :crazy:
Couldn't see any thing outside to set him off, couldn't an ear piece in esr in case he was listening to a radio/tape. Some of the passengers exchanged worried looks, I half expected to find the original driver gagged and bound under one of the seats.

About a year later I was with some friends on a hike across the countryside, we got a bus at the end back into the city. when near the centre at a set of red traffic lights the diver turned round and asked "Err, is any one sure where I'm supposed to go from hear ? Just I'm new to Norwich" :swoon:

2 bus trips and what happens, whats the chances of that ? or is Norwich some sort of twilight zone  or elephants grave for bus drivers, They're always advertising for drivers here........ That does it after thinking about it I'm not eating a kebab round here again (how come you never see a kebab shop take deliveries) :sick: 
Pages: [1] 2 3