Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How does my IP change when I haven't dropped a connection?  (Read 3470 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
How does my IP change when I haven't dropped a connection?
« on: August 07, 2015, 04:18:43 PM »

I'm using HG612 Modem Stats program, and I've a connection up time of 172 days.

When attempting to connect to my server from the Internet I kept getting messages saying it couldnt connect. So I went about checking things when I got home. It turns out my IP had changed.

I know my connection is a dynamic IP address setup. But I thought the chances of changing IP's only happened if you dropped connection?

But I've been up 172 days?

Or does the 172 days mean I've been connected to the cabinet for that long, and maybe there was a change in routing to the exchange and that caused the IP change? I'm grasping at straws.

Anyone any ideas?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: How does my IP change when I haven't dropped a connection?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 04:40:38 PM »

AFAIK, this is nothing to do with your exchange or with BTW. It's all down to your ISP, eho can do anything they like.

The above was written on the assumption that you are using NAT and that by IP you mean the WAN address of your router, if not please accept my apologies. That would be the “external” address seen by the ethernet. If that has changed, then you have an evil ISP. A static IP is better for reliability.

If however you are using NAT but mean the actual ip address of your own machine on the LAN, typically something like 192.168.x.y, then this is nothing to do with ISPs or BT or exchanges. It's down to your DHCP server timing out. Your DHCP server is either a software module inside your router, or in a server on your LAN somewhere.

If you are not using NAT, then the answer is probably thr same as the previous paragraph, hard to say without knowing anything about your network setup.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 04:43:37 PM »

The answer to “am I using NAT?” and “what on earth is NAT?” :- if you don't know, then you are almost certainly using NAT if you have a home ISP, not a business network.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 04:55:30 PM »

If you haven't got a fixed IP address, then any drop of the PPP connection is likely to result in a change of IP address. The PPP session can drop without any loss of the DSL connection for a variety of reasons, and unless it happens frequently it's of little or no significance.
  Eric

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 05:12:40 PM »

Roseway is quite right.

If your external IP address changes, then that means your TCP connections break, which is bad news. Better not happen too often. But you may very well have no important open TCP connections, so as Roseway said, you're possibly ok.

Say no to IPs offering non-static IP addresses kids! ;)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 05:16:02 PM »

ISP dropping PPP address for no good reason = evilness. Want to keep it down to a minimum.

But there are valid reasons, such as maintenance. This could be your answer.

My own ISP offers a choice of preferred time of day for certain routine maintenance operations, so I pick some time after 6:00 am, when I'm likely to be in the Land of Nod.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 06:08:18 PM »

Yes I meant the outside IP on the Internet.

I guess it is possible that the PPP dropped because recently I noticed my SNR margin crept up a bit. It was getting down to 5.4 and now its back to 6.

I guess so far the PPP drop has been good benefit. I just need to check the IP lol.

I have my portforwarding setup so I only need my outside IP and the router can do the rest :)

Thanks for the explanation guys!
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 06:17:41 PM »

I guess it is possible that the PPP dropped because recently I noticed my SNR margin crept up a bit. It was getting down to 5.4 and now its back to 6.

I guess so far the PPP drop has been good benefit. I just need to check the IP lol.

No, PPP has absolutely no connection with DSL or broadband or DLM. Your SNR changed for other reasons entirely. Completely different components deal eith the two, and couldn't possibly know anything about one another.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 01:03:32 AM »

No, PPP has absolutely no connection with DSL or broadband or DLM. Your SNR changed for other reasons entirely. Completely different components deal eith the two, and couldn't possibly know anything about one another.

This ^

Your HG612 is controlling your connection to the BTwholesale part of the network ie sync to the DSLAM and as such SNRm is related to sync and conditions of the copper line.
Your router controls the PPP session to your ISP and out on to the internet and your IP is allocated by your ISP.   ISP's can (and do perform) maintenance for various reasons which means that you have to establish another PPP session and if on a dynamic IP allocated a new IP address...  yet as previously mentioned your modem will still remain connected to the dslam, so no loss of sync.

However if you lose sync to the dslam, then that will obviously force the PPP connection with your ISP to drop.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 01:10:20 AM »

@kitz - are we in agreement? (befuddled brain)  ::)  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 01:25:30 AM »

Yes - sorry.

' This ^ ' means that I agree with what you said above.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 01:37:39 AM »

:angel:  ;D