Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Best way to report a fault  (Read 1822 times)

Bigmac77

Best way to report a fault
« on: April 04, 2015, 04:43:51 PM »

I have an intermittent noisey line which when the noise kicks in soon causes the DLM to act and slow down my speeds. Normally I get 16Mbps down and 1.2Mbps up (I'm over a mile from the cab). Once the noise affects the line it goes down to 8 down and 0.2 up, however the noise comes and goes and the line seems to recover pretty quickly once it gone. I have another line which comes from the same street cab and is totally unaffected.

My question is how best to report this? Do I go for noisy line and hope the noise presents itself when the engineer is on site or is there a better way to go? The line in question is a business line.

I am wary of this because I have had problems with this line before, initially engineers could not find a problem and I got charged by BT for a false call out. Eventually after escalating the problem up to CEO level I got the bill cancelled and the fault sorted but it was much harder work than it should have been.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Best way to report a fault
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 05:34:10 PM »

Assuming it is audible noise that can be heard via a telephone, then the best way forward would be to report it as an intermittent noisy-line fault to your telephony service provider.

In the background, I would suggest that you also keep notes of dates, times, environmental conditions, etc, that may provide a pointer to the noise source.

Of course if you could actually make a recording of the noise then you would have positive evidence for your provider to consider. (And, for good measure, to share with us here. Some noise faults are quite distinctive . . . )
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 10:17:33 PM »

Report it directly to your ISP assuming this is BT FTTC. Their diags are pretty good.

Bigmac77

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 11:45:58 PM »

Thanks B*cat, suppose what I really meant was should I report it as noisy line or broadband fault. I will report as noisy line once past easter hols and see where how I get on.

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 12:15:03 AM »

The donkey work and tricks of the trade we're all used to for ADSL shouldn't really be necessary for FTTC.

The OGEA service test reveals a lot of information with pretty graphs n stuff. There is no LLU (or sub loop unbundling) where FTTC is concerned; there is no one else to blame.

Going the telephony route may well be the best way forward but in my mind, I would want the broadband provider to be aware of the fault that is impacting the service. You build up a 'fault history' if nothing else.

Best of luck either way :)

Bigmac77

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 10:11:29 AM »

ISP is BT, if it makes any difference.