Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: TP-LINK TD-W9980 N600 to replace BT HH5 vDSL 15Mb  (Read 5343 times)

DunbarKev

• Just arrived
TP-LINK TD-W9980 N600 to replace BT HH5 vDSL 15Mb
« on: March 06, 2015, 07:53:52 PM »

Hi all, I am new to the forum and was looking for some help to replace my BT HH5 with a TP-LINK TD-W9980 N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit VDSL2/ADSL2+ Modem Router.  I bought a NETGEAR D6300-100UKS AC1600 Dual Band Wireless ADSL2+ but I think I've picked up the wrong thing so I'll get that sent back.

I believe the broadband option I have with BT is the vDSL BB option 3, a get around 14Mb download and perhaps 1.5Mb up.  I have the MK2 vDSL faceplate fitted in my house.

I bought 4 of the Devolo 09378 dLAN 1200+ PowerLine adapters to upgrade my current set and these now cause my BT HH5 to drop packets on a consistent basis.  I've changed back to my old adapters and hope the new TP-Link will sort out all my issues.

I am happy to spend what is required to get a decent (or the best) HH5 replacement.  Can anyone on the forum please help.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: TP-LINK TD-W9980 N600 to replace BT HH5 vDSL 15Mb
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 08:12:54 PM »

Hello and Welcome to the Kitz Forum DunbarKev  :)

I am going to say the reason for the HH5 to drop packets on a consistent basis is because of the interference caused by the powerline adapter now you could fork out money on a new Modem/Router and find the same thing happens with Devolo 09378 dLAN 1200+ PowerLine adapters.

I would do the wired test first (lan cable from HH5 to PC/Mac..) and see how the packets look !

DunbarKev

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 08:20:36 PM »

Thanks NewtronStar. 

I am actually hoping that a new router improves my wireless coverage as well in my house.  My kids play remote play on the PS4 and have numerous WiFi devices connected.  I'm happy to remove the Devolo adapters if need be.

Are you able to advise me on a decent router to buy to replace my BT HH5?  Is there any links I can follow to move away from my HH5?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 09:00:10 PM »

I am actually hoping that a new router improves my wireless coverage as well in my house.  My kids play remote play on the PS4 and have numerous WiFi devices connected.  I'm happy to

One router alone my not be enough for your wireless needs around the house you may require whats called a wireless repeater or use two routers as wireless access points but you will need a lan cableto connect up each router.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 09:02:20 PM »

As the HH5 is an all-in-one device, I presume you would like to replace it with a similar device rather than take the separate modem and router path.

I don't know if you have yet seen it but Kitz, our leader, has created a thread with a list of currently available all-in-one devices for VDSL2 circuits. Perhaps give it a read and see if any one particular device appeals to you?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

DunbarKev

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 09:10:55 AM »

Thanks for the replies to my post.  Thankfully the TP-Link I ordered is on the list Kitz created.

I'm going to get a ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A as well to do some comparisons.

I bought a devolo AC wireless plug to go with the other devolo power line adapters.  I can use that as an extender rather than as a new SSID.

I might be back later when my TP-Link arrives with some questions.

I'll be donating via PayPal to the forum.  Thanks for the help so far.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 11:47:51 AM »

Thankfully the TP-Link I ordered is on the list Kitz created.
I'm going to get a ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A as well to do some comparisons.

Hi and welcome to the forums.   I would be interested to see your comparisons.

The TP-Link I find is stable, but so is my VMG8924.    The Zyxel f/w is a bit buggy and there are a few people who have seen it generate more errors than the HG612.  The TP-Link sadly lacks when it comes to stats although you may be interested in this thread by ejs, whereby he's been able to get some additional stats that aren't available in either the GUI or telnet. 

One of the main reasons I like the Zyxel is I appear to have found f/w which for my line is stable..  Plus it gives me circa 7Mb more than the TP-Link.   This means that with the TP-link I can only sync at circa 75Mbps, yet the Zyxel gives me the full 80/20 and a bit more to spare.   The other is that it works well with both DSLstats and HG612_modem_stats.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

DunbarKev

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 12:45:24 PM »

Hi Kitz, thanks for the f/w link. 

The issue I have been having with the 1200+ power line adapters is the following:

1. With 2 adapters connected there is no packet loss on my HH5.  This is tested via a LAN cable direct to the HH5.
2. With 3 adapters or more connected the HH5 status light changes from blue to orange during the brief periods of packet loss.  My laptop is still connected direct to the HH5.  All devices suffer during the outage and xBox live is disconnected, wife's laptop VPN to work disconnects etc.  I'd guess the outage is every 45 seconds or so and typically starts with a single dropped packet, then several packets later 8 dropped packets.  I do not have any devices connected to LANA running spanning-tree so the timings are not linked to that.
3. I also have the same issues when I connect the single adapter to my HH5 and the devolo AC wifi adapter close by.  I've set the devolo to run in the 5GHz space and my HH5 to run at 2.4GHz.  Different SSID's as well.  Same issues with dropped packets.

I'm not sure if this is something that people have reported before.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 01:06:04 PM »

Is it one particular homeplug that is causing mains borne interference?

DunbarKev

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 02:47:36 PM »

I have enabled and disabled each adapter trying to figure out if it is one particular adapter.  The issues appear to happen when I move from 2 up to 3 adapters.  I'll repeat the test a bit more carefully this afternoon.

anything