Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Book for a Dummy  (Read 2780 times)

captainkirk

Book for a Dummy
« on: February 15, 2015, 10:05:17 AM »

I wondered if there was any books for idiots guides that you could recommend so that I could understand the working of the internet (line wise).  I would like to be able to understand a little better the router stats and how the connections work - but it would have to be in simple terms...I can pick apart historical documents but technical documents are like a foreign language (I don't do well at those either  :D )

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Book for a Dummy
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 10:27:03 AM »

I'm afraid I can't think of one off hand, as I got my understanding of cables and their properties first as an electrician, but then later as a BT trained broadband engineer. I would say that the science behind BB transmission over cables requires a more in-depth knowledge when trying to fault find, than performing similar techniques on an electrical installation.

I've told Kitz many, many times that I have gained a wealth of information from her site, more than anywhere else. It's with that in mind, that I would point you towards the tutorials that you can see at the top of this page. I don't know how these tutorials come over to somebody who is completely new to this kind of thing, and it would be good feedback from yourself as to whether they have enhanced your knowledge, should you decide to read them ??  :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 10:30:56 AM »

Having now just clicked on 'Tutorials', I personally think you'd be better clicking on the 'ADSL' link to the left of this ? I think it pertains more to what you hope to gain, and the science behind is more or less the same as with VDSL.

ADSL = Copper BB
VDSL = Fibre BB

captainkirk

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 11:19:59 AM »

Thank you Black Sheep, I will give them a go and see how I get on

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 12:10:54 PM »

so that I could understand the working of the internet (line wise)

I think the subject material that you may be specifically looking for would be entitled adsl or vdsl. Unfortunately there isnt a dummies guide that Im aware of.  I have several text books on Broadband technologies, but tbh they are all very much in depth and also expensive.  I don't think I'd recommend any of them as they cover a lot of irrelevant stuff and often assume a higher level of understanding. :(

The internet is probably your best tool.  The reason this site first started was because there wasn't anything anywhere that explained BT's network and how everything all fitted together. I try to 'dumb down' as much as I can some of the technical stuff to what is hopefully a level that can be understood by a layman but still contain a bit of the stuff you need to know. - there was no wikipedia back then either.

I'm perhaps a bit biased but either the tutorials on the main site or wiki are likely to be your best bet.  I know that several ISP's use the main site as training material for their staff.  The ADSL section is by far the busiest part of the whole website.

As regards to reading line stats, there are no definitive tutorials for that Im afraid as that is more of a skill that gets picked up over years of looking and comparing line stats.   I do include some of the basics, but you cant do a specific tutorial on it all because you have to look at the whole picture.   Unfortunately we see too many cases where someone panics when something changes by say 1dB, but theyve not looked at the broader picture and realised that it was in the realms of normality.   Reading line stats is a black art and even I frequently go on gut instinct because you get 'a feel for the line'.  I think even trained JDSU experts also do the same.. and why there is a lack of advanced guides too.

So where to start?

1). Probably look at the diagram - How does FTTC work. which gives you an indication of the physical layout.

2). The more meaty stuff that you need to know is contained in ADSL technology and DMT.  Although it says ADSL the same theory applies for VDSL.

3). Re Line stats  - you definitely need to read How to interpret your Line Stats.  In particular you need to get your head around SNR, SNR Margin & Target SNRm which are 3 different things but related.  I think thats probably the hardest part, and the bit most people find the hardest to understand, but if you can get your head around those 3 then you are well on your way and the other bits are (usually) more straight forward. 

4). Line stats Explanation attempts to give a brief explanation what each of the figures are.. its not exhaustive, because theres some figures that even we dont know :D

If you want more info just yell..   We have a decent mix of people on here with various backgrounds, each of us acknowledge that its impossible to know it all because the subject is too broad [pun intended], but the benefit of the forums is that because we have people with those various backgrounds,  it all comes together as a team.  :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

captainkirk

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 02:00:33 PM »

Thank you Kitz, that is more than helpful - I will give them a go one at a time!   The site is brilliant, the nicest thing is that I've found no-one has treated me like an idiot because I don't know the technical stuff - everyone has been extremely helpful and I am very grateful.   No laughing if I ask for help on the help pages  :D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 02:23:45 PM »

yvw and good luck :)

>> No laughing if I ask for help on the help pages

I promise not to. :)
The kitten only turns into tiger and roars when it apparent that someone hasnt even bothered reading it and Im saying the same thing over and over.  I dont mind in the slightest going into more detail to try aid understanding or explain it... but when Im repeating myself the 6th time, then I may become a bit terse :D

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker