Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Very High Error Burst over 2 days  (Read 6901 times)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Very High Error Burst over 2 days
« on: January 30, 2015, 05:13:46 PM »

Hi All,

I'll start this as a new topic. On the 27th around half 5 in the evening, the ES rate increased dramatically on my line, as did the FEC/min count. This led to DLM taking action Thursday and Friday morning. I've gone from 70mbps sync to 52mbps sync in two days. The ES stopped today when the line was decreased enough by DLM. But the high FEC count continued.

Went around the house this morning with the MW radio, could hear any distinct hissing or clicking from anything, although this is it seems a permanent issue. If it is even RFI related.

TalkTalk are apparently running tests, but as of yet, heard nothing.

As of 5pm, there was a giant dip in SNR Margin and Attainable sync, and the stupidly high FEC errors stopped. Now my heating comes on at 5pm, but surely it coming on would have caused the high FEC count to have increased/continued and not decreased/stopped it? The heating is on a wireless programmer, so no physical time switches.

Anyone have any ideas as to what has caused this strange behaviour, things were going so well?!  ::)

Thanks,
Jamie
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Very High Error Burst over 2 days
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 12:43:48 AM »

Anyone have any ideas as to what has caused this strange behaviour, things were going so well?!  ::)

I don't and have been watching your line for three weeks, the FEC's just come out of the blue then fade away, now FEC's ranging from 0 to say 50000 over 24 hours would not be to conserning but 350,000 to 1000,000 is just wrong and i have seen on this forum to many times members saying that the FEC is doing it's job  >:( yes it maybe but there is a fecking reason why it's going into overload or don't you non interleavers understand anymore as you don't get any  >:(
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 12:48:44 AM by NewtronStar »

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 12:48:02 AM »

I don't and have been watching your line for three weeks, the FEC's just come out of the blue then fade away, now FEC's ranging from 0 to say 50000 over 24 hours would not be to conserning but 350,000 to 1000,000 is just wrong and i have seen on to many times members saying that the FEC is doing it's job  >:( yes it maybe but there is a fecking reason why it's going into overload or don't you non interleavers understand anymore as you don't get any  >:(
It's strange as now they've gone, but this was the worst error burst I've seen on the line. There were a lot of ES.

I highly doubt now DLM will Bring things back up tonight, but my sync speed is now below the acceptable limit for my line so I'm hoping that Openreach will look into it. That's my only hope really of a BT Openreach engineer coming put and explaining to them. They have the tools to check the line properly, in the past I've had voice faults relating to corroded joints, so maybe this is one of those not affecting the vdsl side of the pair.

I'll keep everyone posted, but for now it seems the mystery will remain unsolved.

All I can think, is it happens whenever we get high winds, a link maybe, but difficult to detect on a still day by fault testing.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Kind Regards
Jamie

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 01:01:10 AM »

I'll keep everyone posted, but for now it seems the mystery will remain unsolved.

All I can think, is it happens whenever we get high winds, a link maybe, but difficult to detect on a still day by fault testing.

If it's not being caused internally then you can be sure it's on the openreach side  ;)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 01:02:38 AM »

If it's not being caused internally then you can be sure it's on the openreach side  ;)
Earlier on I went round and turned off everything except the modem whilst I still had those high error rates, and they stayed put.

So I'm convinced it's outside the house. Whether it's a copper issue of external rfi though I don't know. Getting the DLM reset would be good too!

Kind Regards
Jamie

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 06:03:46 PM »

How is your heating organised? Is there a motorised valve that shifts position to choose between heating the hot water tank and the radiators?

Our old house used to have one of these, made by Myson, and it would burn out every 4-5 years or so. The system, as designed in the UK years ago, can leave the valve motor powered but stalled, depending on the order in which the heating & hot water controls have turned on/off. We could tell it wasn't far off failing by extra clicking sounds, and noise that was visible on the TV (analogue at the time).

What you could find is that the motor is sat stalled all day long, resulting in the errors, and the switch to heating at 5 o'clock allows it to un-stall.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 11:45:40 AM »

I've had confirmation of a BT Openreach engineer coming out on Wednesday.

They've detected a fault somewhere and the sync speed is below the threshold for the line.

Will keep everyone posted on how it goes

Kind Regards
Jamie

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 08:02:32 PM »

Anyone got any advice for the visit? I don't know what the fault is as they wouldn't tell me, but there is one showing.

Should they do a DLM reset for this? I'm thinking if there isn't a fault then obviously they won't do the reset. But there must be something to cause such a decrease in speed.

When the stats went crazy, it was windy, maybe a cause?
Kind Regards
Jamie

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 03:33:45 PM »

Update!

OR engineer came today, very pleasant chap. checked with JDSU and there was a slight HR fault showing. Went off to the cab, was gone over two hours. He came back and has moved the line to a different pair, and the HR fault is no longer showing.

So has reset the DLM, and even though I've lost slightly more attainable, the SNR Margin is so far flatlining all the way, and the upstream SNR has gone up a few dB. All looking good so far. When he'd arrived the JDSU had an attainable of 62,000kbps, reading much lower than the OR modem was.

Few errors racking up here and then, but we shall see how it goes, but he was very adamant that something was wrong, and that he was going to rectify it. All the stats and graphs showed him that something had gone on that day, and that rain may have been the issue. The fault was underground somewhere, so I he didn't know exactly where it was or what caused it. But the new pair was all clear :)

The cab is nearly full, about 20 ports left he said, and I'm port 61. I asked him about crosstalk and vectoring, and he said no one knows the locations of the 100 test cabs yet, worth a try asking though  8)

Hopefully this is now put to bed as it were, it's just a case of keeping an eye, but I'd like to thank everyone who's posted and replied to any of my posts whilst getting to the bottom of this :)
Kind Regards
Jamie

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 07:24:59 PM »

A good result  ;D Pair swap and DLM reset for a slight HR fault.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 07:31:07 PM »

Indeed and so far behaving nicely for the DLM  ;D
Kind Regards
Jamie

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 08:04:25 PM »

you can help me with the telecom communication side to ISP as also have a slight HR fault but all they say is, Is your broadband working and I say yes it is but they don't seem seem able to differentiate a line that is working and also has an HR fault (BT India).

So any advice on how you called in the fault would be most welcome.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 08:11:19 PM »

you can help me with the telecom communication side to ISP as also have a slight HR fault but all they say is, Is your broadband working and I say yes it is but they don't seem seem able to differentiate a line that is working and also has an HR fault (BT India).

So any advice on how you called in the fault would be most welcome.
The engineer was helpful in that he said the remote testing ISPs have wouldn't pick up this slight HR fault. As it would never affect the phone as you know.

I only got an engineer out of luck, I had a few resyncs one day, which led to decreasing my sync below the acceptable threshold. They saw the lots of drops from their end on the GEA test, which they then sent the engineer out for.

He was out to investigate unstable connection not slow connection I think I had pure luck the connection decided to misbehave, he though it was moisture getting in underground somewhere.

Kind Regards
Jamie

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 08:15:33 PM »

how has your reported fault gone so far?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 08:33:32 PM »

how has your reported fault gone so far?

Got a call on mobile after the 24 hours and this is what was said from BT " hello MR XXXXX how is your broadand is it still connected and said yes she said it is working I said yes she said thankyou MR XXXXX end of communication  :o
Pages: [1] 2

anything