Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What Cat are the phone lines?  (Read 4406 times)

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
What Cat are the phone lines?
« on: January 10, 2015, 10:10:54 PM »

Are the phone lines Cat3? If so how do they support uptp 76Mbs when Cat3 max is 10Mbs at 16 MHz, is it because BT Infinity uses a VDSL signal with a higher freqency so Cat3 can support the higher speed?

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 10:19:35 PM by Geekofbroadband »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: What Cat are the phone lines?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 11:41:03 PM »

Telephone cable is CW1308.  Its not "CAT anything".   The thin crappy stuff thats not really recommended for long lengths is CW1311

CW1308 has 2/3 pairs and is usually connected to a UK telephone plug or RJ11 (4/6 pins) 
CAT5/6 is designed for ethernet & has 4 pairs for connecting to an RJ45 (8 pins)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 12:29:31 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 11:54:08 PM »

Telephone cable is CW1308.  Its not "CAT anything".   The thin crappy stuff thats not really recommended for long lengths is CW1311

CW1308 has 2 pairs and is usually connected to a UK telephone plug or RJ11 (4 pins) 
CAT5/6 is designed for ethernet & has 4 pairs for connecting to an RJ45 (8 pins)

thanks, so would the DSL cable that bt supply be cw1311?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 11:56:20 PM by Geekofbroadband »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 12:24:52 AM »

No BT use CW1308 if they wire extensions.    Same with their data extension kit image linky.  If you were to compare the grade with anything then it would be similar to CAT5 - but just remember its not CAT5!

Its the cheap extensions that you buy from say DIY stores that is usually CW1311
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 12:40:24 AM »

PS.   Just to clarify CW1308 is the grade.    The actual wires inside can vary..  ie 4 core / 6 core.

When it comes to ethernet the CAT5/CAT6 depends upon the no of twists.

Good explanation here
http://www.adslnation.com/support/cables.php

Quite often CAT5 cable is recommended as the ideal cable to use for ADSL wiring. CAT 5 cable is a twisted pair cable so it is perfectly suitable for the purpose of ADSL. CAT5 cable is designed for Ethernet networking applications that run at much higher frequencies and higher data rates than those of any variant of ADSL. As a result the wire used is thicker and the cable has a higher number of twists per meter than CW1308 cable as it is required for the higher frequency signal. Similarly CAT6 cable has even more turns per meter and even thicker wire is used to account for gigabit Ethernet speeds. There is very little benefit in choosing CAT5 or CAT6 cable over the standard CW1308 cable as the extra twists will not benefit the ADSL signal. CAT5/6 cable is much bulkier than CW1308 as it typically has 4 pairs (8 wires) and is usually supplied in a grey finish making more difficult to hide. Our recommendation is that if you are already installing CAT5 cable for networking and are able to hide it away then it there is no harm in using it for ADSL extension wiring at the same time as you probably have bought a drum of it and have some spare.
-----

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 02:10:07 AM »

So BT's telephone lines are grade CW1308, and all there extentions and the data kit. Then the cheap flat extention cables are grade CW1311 and the DSL cable that goes from the socket to the modem/hub? I also see the DSL cable is called FCC68?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 02:12:31 AM by Geekofbroadband »