Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is this caused by crosstalk?  (Read 10249 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Is this caused by crosstalk?
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2014, 07:43:45 PM »

You nutter :D

Yes. And I know that you know why I've gone that way!  :crazy:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2014, 07:45:14 PM »

I'll mention this to Eric (Roseway) as I have also seen zero SNRM values for some users in MDWS that I know definitely use DSLStats.

Yes, thanks BE1, you're right, there does seem to be a bug there. I'll fix it ASAP.

not a big bug it looks Like D1 (blue) is D3 and D2 should be D1 and D2 as it is.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 08:29:03 PM »

I've been following this post. From MDWS it seems my line is similar to BE1. However I don't get anything on D2 or D3. Am I correct in assuming its a combination of distance and I know part is aluminium cable.

What I can't work out is why I haven't gone back to fast path after a blip in June chucked me to interleaved admittedly low depth

Tony
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

bart613

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 02:00:29 PM »

Ah, I think I understand your confusion. Even though there is no user data transiting the circuit, both the DSLAM and the modem are interchanging control data packets.

(DSLAM to modem: I'm here. Can you hear me? / Modem to DSLAM: Not you again. Can't I have a moments peace? / DSLAM to modem: No you cannot! Now answer my question. / Modem to DSLAM: Yes I hear you and please STOP SHOUTING. / DSLAM to modem: Take that attitude with me and I'll back off my Tx power so much that you'll feel obliged to resynchronise. / Modem to DSLAM: Bog off! / etc.)

Yeah, I'd expect some between-the-devices chatter, but not to this extent.

Anyway, it's just really weird that number of FEC errors is not dependant on the bandwidth being used; it's like a part of the "spectrum" would be dodgy and rest fine.

bart613

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2014, 07:27:22 PM »

So today I rebooted my modem; as an effect I got sync speed of 39.7M!  Now what's quite weird, the SNRM on Downstream went down to ~ 4.4?!!

This seems to resulted in massively elevated FEC Error rate now being at around 150,000 - 165,000 per minute (!!!).

Is anyone able to make any sense off it???

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2014, 08:00:12 PM »

It could be the way the broadband monitoring software interacts during a quick reboot of the modem  :-\

I never do quick reboots of the modem anymore, these days it's turn off modem for 15-30 minutes then power it on.

I see you also had a spike of attainable sync at 19:09 so this maybe the reason why your SNRM is lower after the reboot, so you will need to reboot modem again but this time wait 15 minutes before powering up the modem.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 08:32:44 PM by NewtronStar »

bart613

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2014, 10:57:17 AM »

I never do quick reboots of the modem anymore, these days it's turn off modem for 15-30 minutes then power it on.

I see you also had a spike of attainable sync at 19:09 so this maybe the reason why your SNRM is lower after the reboot, so you will need to reboot modem again but this time wait 15 minutes before powering up the modem.

Can I ask what is the difference if I wait 15-30 mins?

I know with ADSL that'd trigger the "line to reset"; is it the same thing with FTTC?

bart613

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2014, 11:34:37 AM »

So I just been going through the graphs again, and checked the quiet line.

This is just weird; cross-talk stopped?!!

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2014, 06:23:55 PM »

Can I ask what is the difference if I wait 15-30 mins?

I know with ADSL that'd trigger the "line to reset"; is it the same thing with FTTC?

The DLM checks your line every 15 minutes so when it re-checks the line again and the modem is off the DLM see's this as a User Power off and not a line fault.

Your sync rate is much higher than your attainable this why your SNRM is well below the target margin of 6dB: and this also making your FEC's higher than normal

It's up to you Bart613 if don't want to reboot your modem 

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2014, 12:47:05 AM »

Hi Bart613

After the modem re-boot it seems the FEC's have gone down from 180,000 per min to 18000 and the SNRM has gone up to around 6dB though your line sync has fallen from 39000 kbps to 35000 kbps

can't get my head around your DS attenuation of 15.7dB: you should at least have an attainable sync of 65/70 mbps there is deffo something not right with your line.

I have to ask this question do you use ethernet Powerline Adapters ? as this could be the reason why your line was capped many months ago  :-\

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 01:05:45 AM by NewtronStar »

bart613

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2014, 01:36:40 PM »

Thanks for all the follow-up NewtronStar -- much appreciated.  Especially info RE DLM and modem restarts :-)  I'll make sure to wait at least 20 mins next time I do it.

I have to ask this question do you use ethernet Powerline Adapters ? as this could be the reason why your line was capped many months ago  :-\

No, no power adapters.  The modem currently stands in my bedroom (great design choice to place master socket there) and it's pretty much the only thing that's powered on besides night lamp but that's in a opposite corner of the bedroom.

I spoke with A&A and they claim they'll get interleaving disabled on my FTTC so I'll let them try and then, push hard for SFI visit.

Thanks again for all the insight.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2014, 10:17:43 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]