Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Now a little anticipation in the broadstairs household  (Read 40063 times)

les-70

• Kitizen
Re: Now a little anticipation in the broadstairs household
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2014, 11:31:47 AM »

Although those with good lines have no issues with the Zyxel, a few of us have trouble with high crc and es with the Zyxel.  You can cap the speed with the Zyxel, this helps, but judging by my line not as much as it would with a HG612 or Billion 8800NL.  The crc and es rates on my Hg635 are also similar to those of the Xyxel and you can't cap the speed with the Hg635.  (You can't see the stats on the HG635  without using a slightly dodgy config file to enable telnet   http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14185.msg273545#msg273545).  Generally I use an HG612 with the HG635 connected via its WAN or an 8800NL. 

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2014, 12:09:45 PM »

You can cap the speed with the Zyxel, this helps, but judging by my line not as much as it would with a HG612 or Billion 8800NL. 

Yes but how is the question, I've not found a way using the GUI so is there a command I can issue via DSLStats or telnet to do it.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2014, 02:45:23 PM »

Sending the custom commands --     adsl configure --maxDataRate 64030 16030 100000    --- would get you 64/16Mb/s down/up.  The 30 is only as I don't like 63998 numbers.   On my line just swapping a Zyxel for a HG612 would reduces the ES by /3 and CRC by /10.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2014, 05:55:53 PM »

Sending the custom commands --     adsl configure --maxDataRate 64030 16030 100000    --- would get you 64/16Mb/s down/up.  The 30 is only as I don't like 63998 numbers.   On my line just swapping a Zyxel for a HG612 would reduces the ES by /3 and CRC by /10.

Thanks I'll give it a try later.

Stuart

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2014, 06:18:36 PM »

Query through ignorance :( :) why "adsl configure --maxDataRate..." on FTTC connection?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2014, 06:49:15 PM »

It's intended to reduce the error rate by forcing the connection speed below what it would otherwise achieve. A lower speed will result in a higher SNRM.

(Sorry, I misunderstood the question :-[ )
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 07:05:34 PM by roseway »
  Eric

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2014, 06:51:43 PM »

A number of devices have adsl as the equivalent of xdslcmd. 

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2014, 06:55:01 PM »

Because that particular device has been provided with a software utility which responds only to an adsl invocation.  ;)

My Internet access is provided over an ads2+ broadband link. Due to the physical line length it make sense for me to restrict the mode to adsl2 by an appropriate configuration of my modem/router, which is a Huawei HG622. When I access that device via telnet I can issue a whole spectrum of commands and of those commands the most useful ones begin xdslcmd . . .. The Huawei HG622 can be configured to operate in G.Dmt, ADSL2, ADSL2+ and VDSL2 modes. Clearly there was a degree of forethought by the person who originally wrote the firmware so that a generic form of command is available (xdslcmd . . .) rather than a "mode specific" command, like adsl . . ., as used by the Zyxel device.  :)

[Edit: Ah, I see that Les was quicker at the keyboard than I . . . ]
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2014, 07:15:25 PM »

@broadstairs   From mydslwebstats your line is running quite similar to mine and with the Zyxel uncapped you look to heading towards an error rate that will give interleaving very soon.  Capping the speed will help and you may be best to do it very soon!! 

You may also find, like me, that Zyxel just hates to run at full sync on your line.  I sent mine back as it was so much worse than an HG612 that I suspected it be faulty?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 07:18:08 PM by les-70 »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2014, 08:14:14 PM »

Well I have run the command and now have a lower sync speed and higher SNRM however the CRCs and Error Seconds are still much higher than I hoped for. My errors running on the 40000kbps sync were almost zero apart from the occasional spike in FECs which I was still seeing (used to get a lot on ADSL2+). However the strange thing (to my mind) is that I am seeing virtually zero FECs even now and prior to issuing the command. The errors are all downstream with zero up stream. Certainly at present I dont think I will continue with the 80/20 but revert back to 40/2 after my initial 30 days.

My ZyXEL is an F1000 with the original firmware on it when I got it here. Right now I'm not for shelling out for another VDSL capable router as the 40/s seemed very stable and was quite fast enough for our use. Maybe in the New Year I might consider a new router when perhaps some of the issues others are seeing have been ironed out, and perhaps the prices might drop a tad.

Stuart

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2014, 10:06:54 AM »

Both the HG635 and the Xyxel can used as routers in conjunction with a separate modem in bridge mode. They are both very good that way.   if you wanted to persist with 80/20 did not mind a separate modem then shelling out for just a HG612 on ebay might be worth considering.  Only the Zyxel and Asus models seem to have issues.  The Billion 8800NL seems to just work, but a cupboard full of routers is worth avoiding.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2014, 10:19:34 AM »

Having these issues has prompted me to take a closer look at what all these errors are and when/how they might arise.

One thing I dont understand is the FEC errors in sudden bursts I was getting on medium fibre as interleaving was off, I thought that FECs happened when NOT on fast path. Am I wrong in that assumption? Also although I am seeing CRCs HECs and ESs on 80/20 I dont see (so far) any FECs. All the errors I do see are down with all zeros up.

Also I have taken a look at how far I am from the cabinet No 10 in Thanet it is about 325 metres by probably the only realistic route the cable could take. Assuming this is correct the cable will pass an electricity sub-station some 100 metres before my house so I wonder if this could be a cause of some interference I have been seeing on 80/20 and perhaps the FEC spikes I saw on 40/2?

I do have unlocked HG612 and HG622 somewhere in the cupboard which I could try.

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2014, 10:31:44 AM »

You can get FECs when interleaving is off. Although we've become accustomed to expecting them to be linked together, they are actually separate items, and on VDSL2 it's quite common to see FECs without interleaving. I get a few myself.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2014, 11:27:33 AM »

Thanks Eric.

I am still in two minds over what to do now. I might dig out the HG622 and HG612 and see how I set them up as modem only so I can still use the ZyXEL as a router, I an also get stats from either as they are unlocked. I'll definitely leave it for now and see how it goes for a few days. The error count now is less than it was and actually using the connection seems fine. In a week or so I might try one of the Huawei routers as a modem and check the difference in error rates. Dont really want two devices but as a test it is fine for a while.

Stuart

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2014, 12:38:51 PM »

The HG612 (with the latest unlocked firmware and in the factory default bridge mode with only modems IP changed if needed)  can be connected to the WAN port of the Zyxel and would be my recommendation for a later test.  The Zyxel is then set to do PPoE and the usual router functions.  It is "possible" that this will give a big error reduction if your line is like mine.  I am a bit further from the CAB than you ~440m and odd CRC and SES spikes are my problem makers.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11