Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20

Author Topic: Observations of the FTTC DLM ES threshold  (Read 104339 times)

marjohn56

• Reg Member
Re: Observations of the FTTC DLM ES threshold
« Reply #210 on: December 03, 2014, 09:40:31 AM »

of course this is dependent on what profile he/she is on.

I think sky are not using the performance profile, my guess is based on the fact their own ADSL DLM is very conservative, they seem to like to play it safe.
[/quote]

Which is where it gets strange, I am on sky, ES per day is running a little over 220 no retrains and I'm on Fastpath.

This leads me to another thought. A few weeks ago, when I was having issues with the DLM, not going to go into it, but if you wish to read the story it's my first post in this thread, I spoke to Sky support who said they were going to try something new, it might take 48 hours to work. I thought that would be a remote DLM reset but now I wonder if it was a change of profile to speed. Hmmm... the mystery continues.
OPNsense 18.* - Billion Bridge - Qotom Q355G4 - ISP - ZEN U.K.

Team Rebellion Member

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #211 on: December 03, 2014, 10:43:59 AM »

@kitz   Please can you say which set of figures you are using for the FTTC option  DLM calculator.   For amber I get the follows ES/day from it.

Speed 287-2880
     Standard 14-287
     Stable 1-24

They look like the one BS provided, but do you really think they apply to FTTC? They are very different to be previous ZEN or Plusnet ones.  They seem so severe on stable that not many MDWS users could be on stable. A number of fast path TT people have been OK over these standard limits but not over the 1440 limit.  In fact as noted before no one seems to be above 1440 for more than an odd day. As far as you can get TT to tell you they provision on standard.  The speed figures look credible but the other seem dreadfully severe  --- Max rates for amber of 12ES/hour on standard and max 1ES/Hour on stable. Virtually no line could ever achieve 1 ES/hour average without lots of interleaving.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 11:22:29 AM by les-70 »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #212 on: December 03, 2014, 10:58:55 AM »

@kitz   Please can you say which set of figures you are using for the FTTC option  DLM calculator.   For amber I get the follows ES/day from it.

Speed 287-2880
     Standard 14-287
     Stable 1-24

They look like the one BS provided, but do you really think they apply to FTTC? They are very different to be previous ZEN or Plusnet ones.  They seem so severe on stable that not many MDWS users could be on stable. A number of fast path TT people have been OK over these limits but not over the 1440 limit.  In fact as noted before no one seems to be above 1440 for more than an odd day. As far as you can get TT to tell you they provision on standard.  The speed figures look credible but the other seem dreadfully severe  --- Max rates for amber of 12ES/hour on standard and max 1ES/Hour on stable. Virtually no line could ever achieve 1 ES/hour average without lots of interleaving.

The above sound like the ones I found mentioned on Zen's website/training document.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #213 on: December 03, 2014, 11:01:42 AM »

The speed number are the same but the rest are totally different.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #214 on: December 03, 2014, 11:04:59 AM »

Oh, didn't notice that, yes you're right. No idea where the other two come from then :s.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #215 on: December 03, 2014, 03:40:59 PM »

Whilst DLM things may still be in a state of flux broadstairs (on TT) was OK at ~800ES/day but went interleaved with ES+SES a bit over 1440 and quickly recovered today with 39 and 32ES/day in the two days that followed. (I got the 39 by counting a part day from the point of interleaving). That does not seem to match the new Kitz criteria. As noted above, TT reps claim TT is on standard?   

My previous analysis of 10 days of all the MDWS interleaved connections and a few transitions suggested that you needed to be below ~20-40ES/day, often for a very long while, to go to fast path, an exact figure just can't be deduced.  Most MDWS interleaved connections get 30-200ES/day and over the length of record that I looked at seem stuck interleaved. 

strontium90

« Reply #216 on: December 03, 2014, 04:33:57 PM »

^^This..
I've rebooted the modem in the hope it might become "unstuck" after 50 days sync..in 9 hours up I have 8 ES and it tallies with previous figure of about 28 ES per 24 hours..

It seems with most interleaved connections using BT's DLM, you are on interleaved for keeps

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #217 on: December 03, 2014, 05:41:24 PM »

It seems with most interleaved connections using BT's DLM, you are on interleaved for keeps

I guess for most people that have been Interleaved for a long time the connection is just to noisey to be moved off interleave and even by capping my own sync the errored seconds went down by 50% 87-100 ES per Day this is still way of the mark if 20-40 ES Per Day is the requirement for the DLM to move one's line off interleaving.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #218 on: December 03, 2014, 05:48:15 PM »

Well they (TT) put me back on fastpath this morning and so far my stats are not too bad but we'll see what the evening brings. Also because of the way DSLStats works MDWS got turned off earlier today and I did not notice for quite a while, so MDWS totals will not be accurate today.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #219 on: December 03, 2014, 05:51:51 PM »

@kitz   Please can you say which set of figures you are using for the FTTC option  DLM calculator.

WBC should be using BS figures. FTTC should be using Zen 30/300 figures.

So far Ive found 8 possible different parameter profiles.

as noted before no one seems to be above 1440 for more than an odd day.

That would need something like a 60/600 profile then.   The only set I have that has a 60/600 is the very first set when BToR mapped direct to BTw profiles back in 2009.   Ive attached a copy of the full params below.  I note the MBTR figures map quite nicely with the BS WBC figures - they are still the same.  MBTE are quite a lot different though.  See what you think.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #220 on: December 03, 2014, 06:03:09 PM »

Oh, didn't notice that, yes you're right. No idea where the other two come from then :s.

Oops - spot the deliberate C&P error when splitting into 2 separate functions.  It involved lots of C&P  :-[
Sorry I was rushing last night to get it up asap and I missed changing something.  The WBC should have been returning correctly, but you can spot why fttc returned a mixture of Zens and BS

Code: [Select]

if ($DSL_type == 'FTTC') {

$status1 = get1_mtbe_fttc($mtbe); // Get statuses for different profiles using the MTBE function.
$status2 = get2_mtbe_wbc($mtbe);
$status3 = get3_mtbe_wbc($mtbe);

should now be sorted. Thanks for pointing it out.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #221 on: December 03, 2014, 06:15:29 PM »

So is the suggested FTTC version the ZEN provided one below?  I think that is also different from the Plusnet posted one which does not indicate the speed/standard/stable option.  A poor image of that is below.

edit The Plusnet figures give amber between 205 and 8640 ES/day and although they appear "ambiguously" on the page Kitz gave a link to many post ago I doubt that they apply to FTTC.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 07:17:38 PM by les-70 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #222 on: December 03, 2014, 07:31:39 PM »

So is the suggested FTTC version the ZEN provided one below?

Yes those are the figures Im using atm for the FTTC calculation ie the 30/300 which equates to an allowance of 2880 E/s per day.

I think that is also different from the Plusnet posted one which does not indicate the speed/standard/stable option.

Thats one of the eight that I have.  Those figures are very different from Zens 30/300 profile.  PNs is showing profile 10/420..   Ive another set of profiles that are very similar to those PN ones...  which are WBC ones dated 2011. (see below)

I dont think fttc is using 10/420 from what we see on MDWS which is why I discounted it.    Put it this way, a 10/420 profile =  8640 ErrSecs for red  & 205 green.

Just to complete the picture:
30/300 profile (Zen) = 2880 red & 288 green
60/600 profile (orig 2009 profile) = 1440 red & 144 green

I have seen a document that states a new FTTC profile was put in place more recent than that..  unfortunately though the link for the actual profile param details it sends me somewhere behind the BT paywall so I dont know what it says :(

These are what I think may the full params for the PN one
Code: [Select]
Stability MTBE Red MTBE Green MTBR Red MTBR Green

1 10 420 8640 16800
2 300 6000 16800 33600
3 3600 60000 33600 67200
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #223 on: December 04, 2014, 03:11:26 PM »

What did plusnet post?

kitz can you post all 8?

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #224 on: December 04, 2014, 08:29:29 PM »

Whatever DLM is now running it seems very slow at reacting.

On the 20th November it nudged me up from approx. 40/14 to 47/17 having dropped the ASUS DSL-AC68U completely a few days prior. Since then no change despite what look like very good stats and just one reboot to change some dsl params...

Total time = 7 days 7 hours 44 min 16 sec
FEC:            6618766         250663
CRC:            119             55
ES:             20              22
SES:            0               13
UAS:            33              33
LOS:            0               0
LOF:            0               0
LOM:            0               0

Either DLM isn't running nationwide just yet or it's forgotten about me  :'(
Fritzbox 7490 l Plusnet FTTC
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20