Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Crossflash TP-Link TD-W8980 to TD-W9980  (Read 112294 times)

Mooingall

Re: Crossflash TP-Link TD-W8980 to TD-W9980
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2015, 03:15:26 PM »

Well lets have a go then owing to the router not being much good to me now since i went VDSL with talktalk.

So i have got a TTL/Serial/Usb lead on order.Wont have no problems doing the soldering side of thing. Its the putty side of thing im concerned with  :-[ I do have putty installed and do use it for a web besed webui. but all ive ever done with it is log in and copy & paste a programme restart line into it ...can this cross flash be done the same way or is there lots of typing to be done

TIA

After the soldering is done its smooth sailing with hacktrix2006's guide. If you didn't brick it by dodgy soldering I don't think there is much to worry about. His pictures are very reassuring and I believe all but the most serious of typos can be corrected.

It is just a few commands into putty or terminal app of choice and then visiting http://192.168.x.x (I forget the default IP of the unit) in your browser, logging in and clicking upgrade to get you back to the newest version again.

The version shuffling could be avoided if someone provided a newer "pre-cut" image though why change what works I guess.

I am using mine on VDSL BT infinity just fine so its worth the risk as you mentioned.

Links sent via PM. Also remember don't do what I did and connect the 4th wire for voltage to the router, I hear it normally doesn't end well.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 03:26:04 PM by Mooingall »

bigtimecube

« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2015, 03:30:49 PM »

Well lets have a go then owing to the router not being much good to me now since i went VDSL with talktalk.

So i have got a TTL/Serial/Usb lead on order.Wont have no problems doing the soldering side of thing. Its the putty side of thing im concerned with  :-[ I do have putty installed and do use it for a web besed webui. but all ive ever done with it is log in and copy & paste a programme restart line into it ...can this cross flash be done the same way or is there lots of typing to be done

TIA

After the soldering is done its smooth sailing with hacktrix2006's guide. If you didn't brick it by dodgy soldering I don't think there is much to worry about. His pictures are very reassuring and I believe all but the most serious of typos can be corrected.

It is just a few commands into putty or terminal app of choice and then visiting http://192.168.x.x (I forget the default IP of the unit) in your browser, logging in and clicking upgrade to get you back to the newest version again.

The version shuffling could be avoided if someone provided a newer "pre-cut" image though why change what works I guess.

I am using mine on VDSL BT infinity just fine so its worth the risk as you mentioned.

Links sent via PM. Also remember don't do what I did and connect the 4th wire for voltage to the router, I hear it normally doesn't end well.
Many thanks for sending me the links... time to have a good read and play...noted your word of warning about the 4th wire  :fingers:

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2015, 04:09:50 PM »

How many typo's are in the guide bud? Going to try and download it later to redo it. Yes 4th wire is normally a Death warrent for the router, some have been very lucky!

What you think to the colouring section idea? LOL its fairly easy and i shell at some stage update the pre-cut images as well. Good luck though bud.

bigtimecube

« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2015, 06:12:23 PM »

How many typo's are in the guide bud? Going to try and download it later to redo it. Yes 4th wire is normally a Death warrent for the router, some have been very lucky!

What you think to the colouring section idea? LOL its fairly easy and i shell at some stage update the pre-cut images as well. Good luck though bud.
Well just had a quick read of it and to me it looks spot on..Excellent work That is..There are a couple of minor typing errors but Does it matter.Again well done to you for doing this excellent guide 

Edit

So although i have the latest firmware in mine....I still just go for it then with this excellent guide
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 06:14:53 PM by bigtimecube »

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2015, 06:56:05 PM »

Yep you still use the guide its the same bud. The W9980 Cut image is the important file required.

Follow the guide and reap the awards.

Mooingall

« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2015, 09:59:13 PM »

When I mentioned typos I was meaning even if a user trying to flash made their own typos it could probably still be recovered.

I am not following with this colouring in business, what did I miss?

bigtimecube

« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2015, 10:18:20 PM »

Thought you were meaning spelling mistakes in your guide :-[

Scratch that  ;D ;D

Mooingall

« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2015, 10:26:59 PM »

Thought you were meaning spelling mistakes in your guide :-[

Scratch that  ;D ;D

Are you all sorted now?

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2015, 12:43:02 AM »

@Mooingall you have got the joke LOL! did everything go alright for you @bigtimecube or are you still awaiting on your USB TTL cable?

bigtimecube

« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2015, 01:24:32 AM »

Hi there both...ive ordered the usb gadget from the bay then i will jump in and go for it...Ive had a read of the pdf about 10 times.downloaded the TFTP/cutimage and ready to go.Will keep you kind gents up to date on how i progress  :fingers:

bigtimecube

« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2015, 02:41:01 PM »

Today i set about doing the cross Flash as per the Pdf fileKindly sent by @Mooingall.. Connected all up and powered on. And all the data like in the pdf file was on the putty screen. Ending with the VR9#

So i enter the first command line from the Guide And that is where it ends.. So i must be doing something Wrong  :-\

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2015, 02:42:58 PM »

Are you running a firewall bud, its looking like you are? If not try moving the RJ45 cable to port 2 of the router. Hope this helps

bigtimecube

« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2015, 02:45:16 PM »

I Will look into the firewall  :fingers:

bigtimecube

« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2015, 03:26:38 PM »

Are you running a firewall bud, its looking like you are? If not try moving the RJ45 cable to port 2 of the router. Hope this helps
I turned the firewall off in control panel..Still same results...The RJ45 cable is not mentioned in the Pdf  :-\

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2015, 03:29:50 PM »

RJ45 = Ethernet cable. Is the Ethernet Cable plugged in.

Have you set the IP for Ethernet to 192.168.1.100 / 255.255.255.0 rest blank?

If you need more help if i can get a stable connection might be able to Teamviewer and flash it for you bud, but i won't be able to do that till after 9pm.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

anything