Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Interleaving on FTTC  (Read 6106 times)

c6em

• Reg Member
Interleaving on FTTC
« on: November 25, 2014, 04:07:22 PM »

Spotted on the plusnet forums on thier FTTC sub-board
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,134293.0.html
So it looks like it IS possible to do something about interleaving on FTTC - though it is not clear from the reply exactly what.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Interleaving on FTTC
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 04:40:42 PM »

hmmmmm very interesting - thanks c6em

Quote from: Chris
We don't have control over the DLM, to remove interleaving is a bit of a pain as we have to place a modify order to make any changes to interleaving.

I'd always though that modify orders were more to do with changing the product type.  This is from the WBC/ADSL handbook where it quite clearly give an option for interleaving.

Modify orders
Modify orders allow you to make changes to various aspects of an existing ADSL  service.
The features that can be changed are:
•   Product speed (within a product family)
•   Product family (e.g. IP Stream to DataStream and vice versa)
•   BT IP Stream-Advanced Services Enablement
•   Care level
•   Domain name  Limited Service Selection (LSS) – IP Stream products only
•   Virtual path – DataStream products only
•   Interleave
•   Service Option.

The FTTC handbook is more vague, but look what is hidden in there.

The “Modify” order type is aimed at allowing you to easily and quickly change a current
WBC service in one or many ways in a single order (while staying within the Broadband
Product portfolio).

Modify
Change Care Level
Change the Care Level of repair service
1 working day
Modify
Re-grading of Up-stream Speed
Change the Upstream Speed
1 working day
Modify
Remote Identification
Activation of Remote ID (if not
requested at original provision) or
modification of existing Remote ID
1 working day
Modify
Change of End User
access options not
mentioned above
Activation of elevated throughput, DLM ,
advanced services subscription or Real
Time QOS
1 working day

So theres perhaps no easy one click solution like there is with adsl... and until now all ISPs have always stuck to the same script that it cant be done.   I wonder what parameters are in that "DLM" section.  Im taking that it cant be switched off permanently like it can with adsl, but I wonder if there is a reset.  :hmm:

---
Edited to add quote from Chris.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 04:43:50 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 04:43:49 PM »

Whats funny is the isp's have had a way since day 1 by changing the line between 80/20 and 40/10 as whenever that is done DLM is reset :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 04:55:11 PM »

Yeah thats what I wondered at first about using modify.   Because you'd place a modify order to switch between 80/20 and 40/10
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 05:13:55 PM »

I had someone toggle interleaving a while back after BTOR attended an OGEA fault. I was pinging it at the time and watched the ping half itself.

I guess this is what she did! :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 03:06:42 AM »

Yeah thats what I wondered at first about using modify.   Because you'd place a modify order to switch between 80/20 and 40/10

There was a barrier in place before that it triggered a new 12 month wholesale contract, but I believe now it only triggers a new month.

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 12:55:46 PM »

Plusnet have changed their mind or rather that they made a mistake in their initial reply
Looks like Kitz put them right and nothing has changed.
and ISP do not have the power on the FTTC service to alter interleaving settings
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,134293.0.html

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 04:39:53 PM »

b*cat nods in agreement with c6em's recent post.

Configuration changes to the operating mode of the cabinet DSLAMs is entirely (and absolutely) within Openreach's domain. Certain ISPs/CPs are prone to misrepresenting their status in respect of this matter.  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 03:42:59 AM »

I asked the question regarding the switching of products, plusnet didnt reply but someone else did confirming when he was moved from 40/2 to 40/10 DLM was reset.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 03:36:30 PM »

If a customer is no longer subject of their initial min term 12/ 18month  then i see no issues with ISP 's placing modify orders ie switching to and from 80/20 to 40/10 and back again  or a any combination, as long as the customer agrees to pay, where's the problem?  ok some may loose out  in doing this as prices increase  over time, But if it achieves the goal of getting the evil DLM reset to the wide open state  then many would be prepared to pay, for what should be a free option that isp's should be able to offer,  IMO  all customers should be given a choice  to have DLM active or not( manual config),

Again as long as those who don't want DLM  have knowledge of any potential issues that may arise should the line suffer large bursts of errors due to local interference ect, and accept this  then where is the problem in doing that? Many LLU suppliers have managed without DLM ,
 My line appears to sometimes suffer from some form of interference this causes a high error rate, but isn't service affecting, but DLM still  applies interleave and then takes weeks before it reverts back to fast path, DLM for me is no more than a paid in the a** if bt turn it off that will be welcome news

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 08:07:57 PM »

for what should be a free option that isp's should be able to offer,

BTw charge the ISP for modify orders.   They always have.. iirc its £12 for an uplift so youre going to be looking at at least circa £25.
-----

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 10:28:23 PM »

As I said above, some lovely lady in BT, I forget which department, literally turned off interleaving during a 15 minute period, over one or two telephone calls. Perhaps it was complete luck/fluke? I was calling on behalf of the CP, not as an EU.

This was directly after someone attended and resolved the DIS or HR or whatever OGEA fault I was working on at the time. We get very few OGEA faults tbh. The diagnostic output on the Openreach portal is superb, too, so can't really remember any other details.

I wish my ADSL faults had the same level of diagnostic output and the same 'deploy once, job done' style fixes!