Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Why would a router user manual say this?  (Read 2381 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Why would a router user manual say this?
« on: August 06, 2014, 07:11:37 AM »

" Do not use the same power source for this router as other equipment". That is from the manual of the Bipac 8800NL.

Am considering 8800NL whence the quote for slightly better wifi range.

I do not see such an instruction in my existing Technicolor 582N, so am confused why one manufacturer should give the warning and another not.

Currently all my computer and broadband is powered via a surge protected 6 gang extension lead.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Why would a router user manual say this?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 07:38:32 AM »

I suspect that it just means that you shouldn't use the same power supply for two separate pieces of equipment. As there's no obvious way to do this anyway, it hardly seems worth mentioning.
  Eric

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 09:43:53 AM »

It could mean " don't plug it into the same power socket as an interference source 'cos someone had trouble that way"   or "this router is an interference source and ditto "  but far too vague. 

It won't blow up if you do so you could always plug it in somewhere else in the event of trouble !

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 10:19:36 AM »

The warning seemed to be an excessive counsel of perfection of the back covering kind. I wonder how many "normal" private users have enough power sockets available without use, as I do, of am multi-gang extension lead. :-\

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 10:25:29 AM »

Second thought - If WiFi range is your concern, have you explored the '582's aerial polar diagram ? Omnidirectional it is not !.  It probably has nulls at each end of the box, so try  rotating it by 45 degrees to see what that does - costs nothing !.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 12:16:34 PM »

Whether after rotation it would position might be the $64M question. Currently the computer box sits on the floor low down, across from the a front window, beside the desk. The router sits atop the computer box. Probably that's not ideal but there seems no where else to put it.

The 582N mostly is OK, except in the conservatory and utility room extensions at the rear of the house; 40' on the flat but a bit more as crossing from upper to ground fllor diagonally.

anything