Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: High QLN & Other Issues.  (Read 20489 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: High QLN & Other Issues.
« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2014, 12:13:25 AM »

notaclue: attach new Hlog, SNR margin and new QLN.

Thats fine, I dont mind having to go through server files every few months and clearing out superfluous large files to make space in the several GBs of attatchment files that are stored because certain people have an obsession with hlog and qln  ::)     I do have to store other vital files to ensure the smooth running of the main site. 

----
I stress...  No I dont normally mind and normally  its not a problem ...   its been perfectly fine until recently.. but the increases over the past few months have got a bit silly with certain people asking for hlogs and qlns at every post.    This site doesnt generate anywhere near enough income for a sever costing several hundred to thousands pound per month :(

Im not asking anyone to genuinely be afraid of asking someone to attach stats, but please dont get silly about it.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

notaclue

« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2014, 01:24:27 AM »

I do have to store other vital files to ensure the smooth running of the main site. 

Please don't lie to us.  :P

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2014, 07:36:44 AM »

@notaclue: I'm not sure what you mean by that, but what Kitz says is absolutely true - server space costs money, and the Kitz sites use an absolute minimum of advertising, so it's reasonable to ask members to keep this in mind when using attachments.
  Eric

notaclue

« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2014, 01:21:03 PM »

I was being facetious.

I didn't mean to offend anyone. Apologies if I did.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 02:32:41 PM by notaclue »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2014, 02:44:38 PM »

ukonline officially offered 1mbit upload on their adsl1 product which my 50db attenuation line handled.

Dan at ukonline unofficially uncapped some lines (mine included) and my 50db attentuation line was able to hit 1.2mbit upstream.  In my opinion tho when my line was running at 1.2 up it was less stable so was hurting stability.  But was fine on 1mbit.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2014, 04:35:53 PM »

@notaclue: no problem, it's forgotten.
  Eric

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2014, 10:33:47 PM »

I stress...  No I dont normally mind and normally  its not a problem ...   its been perfectly fine until recently.. but the increases over the past few months have got a bit silly with certain people asking for hlogs and qlns at every post.    This site doesnt generate anywhere near enough income for a sever costing several hundred to thousands pound per month :(

Im not asking anyone to genuinely be afraid of asking someone to attach stats, but please dont get silly about it.

Had no idea it was an issue soz! I will go back to using dropbox :D

You could probably disable new additions for that feature and people would learn to use the alternatives.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2014, 02:09:51 AM »

No..  Im sorry, I was being grumpy and having a moan...  its not normally an issue
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

notaclue

« Reply #98 on: October 03, 2014, 01:57:33 PM »

Sorry for the bump here.

I am being charged for my visit back a few months ago on this months bill, I have obviously contested this and have been told that since we painted the house we have damaged the cable.
Now, I'm no expert but I do think that's a bit of bullshit considering the house hasn't been painted in over a decade.

Am I going to have to go down the small claims route/ADR scheme to get my money back? (This isn't a huge problem, just inconvenience...)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 03:50:37 PM by notaclue »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #99 on: October 03, 2014, 05:30:56 PM »

I take it straight back to BT (your ISP) first.   iirc the cable replaced was outside your house and therefore on the BT side of the NTE.
Pulling out the painting of the house when it hasnt been is a low down dirty trick IMHO.  Luckily you have lots of photos and screen caps to show there was an issue with your line.   Id be going mental at my ISP asking where on earth painting the house comes into it and where that gem has come from.   
-----

notaclue

« Reply #100 on: October 03, 2014, 06:11:33 PM »

I take it straight back to BT (your ISP) first.   iirc the cable replaced was outside your house and therefore on the BT side of the NTE.
Pulling out the painting of the house when it hasnt been is a low down dirty trick IMHO.  Luckily you have lots of photos and screen caps to show there was an issue with your line.   Id be going mental at my ISP asking where on earth painting the house comes into it and where that gem has come from.

I've realized, never mentioned my ISP is BT Retail. I phoned my other ISP just for some unofficial advice and they basically said it was a fishing exercise.

I asked how painting over a cable a decade ago (Painted over the drop down cable.) would affect it. I also said that they own the any equipment past the faceplate but retorted with that since we had painted over we had damaged it. I cannot find any information on any BT website about painting over cables.

I honestly didn't believe they were being serious at first, but they are standing by there original decision. Unbelievable really. We have and are being escalated to their final complaints department, and will receive a deadlock letter if they don't agree to drop the charge. (I guess we go to ADR after the deadlock letter.)

I must thank you again kitz!

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #101 on: October 03, 2014, 06:32:40 PM »

you can dispute the invoice and likewise ask them to dispute with openreach, also request them to not take it via direct debit.  But instead bill it separately.

If it was me in your shoes basically I would withold payment until they "prove" its what they say it is.

notaclue

« Reply #102 on: October 03, 2014, 06:58:42 PM »

They've already taken payment under direct debit. I believe under direct debit guarantee we can get the bank to reclaim the money, but then that doesn't stop bt from still claiming I owe them money.

When the last tier of escalation calls (In the next 4 working days) I will ask them to do what you said Chrysalis, I honestly never thought of that.

Also, If I withhold payment, I take it they will turn off the line. (Not that it matters I have 2.) Has anyone else ever heard something as audacious as this?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #103 on: October 03, 2014, 07:23:03 PM »

They may threaten to do so, but I would only withold the engineer fee, not line rental or broadband subs.

In my view they would be in breach of t&c's to try and enforce the callout fee without proving thats the reason for the fault. Which basically means another engineer callout to do tests to prove the paint over the cable is the reason, they wont do that, much more likely they back down.

notaclue

« Reply #104 on: October 03, 2014, 07:35:01 PM »

The faulty cable is still attached to the side of the house because the engineer didn't want to take it down.

I don't think I cant withhold anymore if they have already taken it by direct debit.

8 weeks before I can take this matter to ADR, good job I'm not living paycheck to paycheck or this would seriously screw me over.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

anything