Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: TalkTalk info please.  (Read 3546 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
TalkTalk info please.
« on: May 25, 2014, 11:14:18 PM »

As my Digital Region fibre connection will cease mid August I am actively looking for an alternative connection,trouble is I have to go back to ADSL which will be roughly around the 2mb mark.. :(

I didn't want to move my line rental from BT but TalkTalk is LLU enabled in my exchange and estimates I could get around 3.7mb(between 2.3mb and 5.4mb is their estimate range)
Price wise its ok but when I put my landline number and postcode into their checker I get this message..

Sorry, we are unable to offer you this service
We're sorry, our checks show that the address you have entered is outside of our network. Unfortunately this means we are unable to give you the best value and high quality service we promise our customers. We recommend you try another reputable phone and broadband provider.

I then just enter my postcode without landline number and get this..

A new telephone line is needed
Our phone line checker shows that the address entered doesn't have a telephone line there that TalkTalk can use. Don't worry. We see this often when people move house or switch from Virgin Media and cable providers.

What do I need to know?
We usually charge £50.00 to install a new line but we are refunding the total amount so you will pay nothing!
You will receive your new telephone number in the post
What happens next?
When you have confirmed your order you can pick a date and time for the BT engineer to come to your home and install the new line

???

I have tried their online chat who confirmed that I would need a new line fitting......Can anyone tell me why this is please.

I did have TalkTalk briefly in 2007 and never had to have a new line fitted.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: TalkTalk info please.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 01:27:19 AM »

Ive just checked to ensure that your exchange is MPF LLU for TalkTalk, which it appears to be.

The problem here is likely to be that Digital Region is SLU SMPF (Sub Loop Unbundled) (Shared Metallic Path Facility).

The migration path from SLU is a bit unknown quantity,  purely because its not common place and there may be some down time.  You should be able to get a MAC key from Digital Region OK..  and whilst not all systems may recognise the MAC key, it should be able to progress through the BTw system perfectly fine if the ISP uses your generated MAC in the migration path system.

Because TT is MPF LLU & they dont use a MAC key for migration may be why their systems are failing to identify any information for migration. I'm not quite sure what to recommend in a case like this if TT fail to recognise any details for your phone no, which is why they may possibly be recommending a new line to avoid any down time.

I didn't want to move my line rental from BT but TalkTalk is LLU enabled in my exchange and estimates I could get around 3.7mb(between 2.3mb and 5.4mb is their estimate range)

A note here...  adsl with TT wont sync any faster than with any other ISP. This is purely down to the physical characteristics of your line.
With TT you will have an option of removing any DLM.

My own personal advice to you, is stay well away from Sky - IMHO their DLM isnt good and works backwards.   My parents were stuck for months & months at a pathetic 1.6 Mbps purely because of the way it works and he gave up trying to speak to their support about it.  Ive recently moved them back to Plusnet and at least on the BTw DLM although I keep expecting their line to be interleaved... last time I checked it hadnt and they are getting far more respectable speeds of  circa 6/7 Mbps.

I did have TalkTalk briefly in 2007 and never had to have a new line fitted.

That will have been because your line wasnt SLU.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 01:31:42 AM »

That's a bit of a puzzle, Uncle.

Can I just confirm that since you subscribed to the Digital Region service, you have still received bills from Beattie for calls and line rental? If you enter your current telephone number into the BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker, what exactly does it show?

Edit: I see Kitz' fingers were faster than my paws . . . and may well have identified the origin of the problem.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 01:34:44 AM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 12:06:45 PM »

First of all thank you for your prompt replies  :)

@ B-Cat...I put my landline into the link you supplied and it said

ADSL....up to 2mb Downstream range ...1.5mb to 4.5mb.....Available

Just a few questions now...

Will TalkTalk be the same as when I was with O2 LLU?....The reason I ask is prior to O2 I was with BT and roughly got around 1.75mb.As soon as I went to O2 it went up to a steady 2.6mb and I could sometimes hold 3mb steady.

Re the new TT line...would this involve a new internal master socket,if so this could be a big plus point as at present It is in the same bedroom next to my PC.I really would like it downstairs in the living room(Mrs UB is wanting her spare bedroom back..to turn it into a....spare bedroom  ;D
Options I have in mind at present are..

1)..Stay with Origin on ADSL unlimited for £9.99 a  month keep my line with BT

2)Plusnet standalone BB for 10GB is £8.75 and landline with BT

3)Move the lot to TalkTalk,pay line rental up front for 1 year,then £1.75 BB for 6 months followed by £3.50 a month

4) BT have offered me broadband 10GB a month for £5 a month but would have to pay standard line rental.

*At present we get BT basics line rental which is £5.10 a month.BT have said that if we keep that then the broadband part will cost £16 a month.
Paying any line rental for a year upfront isn't a problem if needed.

Edit I have just put my landline and postcode into the TalkTalk business site checker and it says nothing about needing a new line just the speed I could expect...3.5mb.  :shrug2:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 01:09:49 PM by UncleUB »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 05:17:30 PM »

This is getting very confusing and I'm not too sure what to believe.  ???

The simplest solution might be to stay with Origin and see how well their new ADSL service satisfies your need?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 06:40:23 PM »

I think I agree with the above. As already mentioned, the line is what it is, and changing ISP won't have any substantial effect on the connection speed (there may be small differences between the LLU suppliers such as TalkTalk, and the BT-based suppliers, because of differences in exchange equipment, but there's no way to know which will be faster). The difference in estimates doesn't imply any difference in actual speeds.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 10:31:43 PM »

I had a nice chat with a lady from TalkTalk business broadband today.I must say it sounds much better than the residential side.UK 7 day business  support is a plus point for me.
Could be a possibilty

Another possibility is with Andrews and Arnold.The resell TalkTalk and of course their support is suppose to top notch and also 1 month contracts which means I could see how things pan out without committing to a lengthy contract.