Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FTTC Provision question  (Read 6492 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: FTTC Provision question
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2014, 06:52:47 PM »

Ah, yes, I see. Thank you.  :)

How are you finding the HH5? There have been some EU reports of the device regularly rebooting, at quite random times.  :-\

:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 07:40:34 AM »

I for the most part agree with BS, it is a good product.

When I used to have adsl, it synced at around 6mbit in the right conditions, e.g. in day, if fast path, if no current noise burst (had several a day, if not dozens).  It was very unstable apart from when I had SRA on ukonline.

Went to cable for a few years and came back to BT world when FTTC cabinet went live.

Now even with crosstalk it syncs at over 65mbit (wth 6db snrm, fast path), for the vast majority of the time it has been stable, any issues I have had have thankfully been short term only.  I believe in the overwhelming vast majority of areas, people see significantly more speeds and stability over FTTC then they would/used to get on adsl in same area.

However it isnt perfect, crosstalk seems brutal, but given the speeds been seen, most customers who are not technically affluent will not be aware and just be seeing a service that runs much better than their old adsl.  I think the main downside of FTTC is the following.

No short contracts, however finally ofcom have decided to wake up, rules soon to be enforced are.
1 month min contract at wholesale level (openreach).
FTTC migrations same price as adsl migrations aka cheap.

I dont think we will see monthly contracts from any major isp's including plusnet as they play their game to tie customers in, but smaller isps like xilo, aaisp etc. will probably offer monthly contracts soon. We may also start to see free migrations on FTTC.  Bear in mind new installs are still 12 month min on openreach. Is only migrations is reduced to 1 month.

Also openreach attitude to fault's its pretty dire in my view.  Ofcom have again stepped in and openreach have pretty much been forced to hire 1.6k new engineers to comply, of course this will only improve 'diagnosed' faults and speed of new installs, openreach have not been told to diagnose more faults, just to handle the ones they have diagnosed faster.

So overall a good service let down by 2 moderate issues.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2014, 11:38:23 AM »

openreach have pretty much been forced to hire 1.6k new engineers to comply,

The backlog for faults that weve seen over the past few years hasnt been good.   Perhaps BT have actually realised that the use of certain contractors hasnt been such a brilliant idea and on occasions has meant more work for Openreach engineers in 2nd visits being required.  My own line FTTC connection was botched up by a contractor and needed a 2nd visit by a  BToR engineer to correct what he'd done and you only have to look at forums to see this isnt an isolated case.

FTTC has also brought with it much more fault reporting and BT have even acknowledged that the climate (ie more flooding etc) has only added to their backlog of work.  Theres a BT report from last year that acknowledges the last 2 points as fact meaning more engineers are needed.   In same report its also mentioned that the additional engineers required for faults etc has affected their operating profits & margins so wholesale costs may have to increase.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

machine

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 05:10:11 PM »

Having had the FTTC service for nearly two weeks now the line seems really stable.
The Hub5 has been great with no dropouts or reboots since the last time I posted :)

The only thing being the maximum data rate dropping, not to worried about this though.
Now there are two more homes connected to my DSLAM with the total at four on the first card.
Lets hope that everybody else stays on the virgin media connections that are available in this area :D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 05:30:30 PM »

"Also openreach attitude to fault's its pretty dire in my view.  Ofcom have again stepped in and openreach have pretty much been forced to hire 1.6k new engineers to comply, of course this will only improve 'diagnosed' faults and speed of new installs, openreach have not been told to diagnose more faults, just to handle the ones they have diagnosed faster".

Don't know how I've missed this thread/quote from Chrysallis, but to buck a trend  ;) I absolutely agree with him on this.

I've mentioned on another thread somewhere about a major event being rolled-out nationwide for all staff, called 'Roddy's Roadshow' (I kid you not). At the event, we are told that due to Ofcom's upcoming new Legislation/Constraints, we will be approximately £200M per-annum down on the balance sheets. He didn't go into it at all really, other than to mention Ofcom and how we were going to be mass recruiting in order to meet the (I think), 3-day fully repaired criteria they have insisted we meet.

Great, I'm all for improving how we work and how the EU perceives us to be, and the fact service will be restored quickly. Then, I noticed a full-page advert in (of all things) a TESCO magazine ?? Amongst the guff was written, 'No technical experience necessary', and quite a lot of weighting towards employing women and ex-MOD.

This would be marvellous if we could harken back to the days of yore, when we received proper, full-on training, followed by months and months of 'Shadowing' a seasoned engineer. You were never forced to go fully 'on the tools' unless you were confident.

Two weeks training down at Stone, and a weeks 'Shadowing' is pretty much all they get these days. It's sad to see, as in my humble opinion I think we have far, far less technically able people in our employment than we have 'Simon Says' engineers.
By that, I mean the noobies do as they are told and can't think outside-the-box, it's like the script reading front line call-centre staff. I'm an advocate of creating jobs for people, but I have not recommended anybody to work for BT in the last 8yrs. I could have got my son on, but opted instead to help him become a time-served electrician. He now earns more than me (he works on large 3-phase installations), and is in a career where experience counts, not frowned upon.

Sorry for stealing your thread there for a minute, machine, but you sound to be in a happy place with regard to your FTTC ??

machine

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 07:14:17 PM »

No trouble Black Sheep.

I myself attended the roadshow at Doncaster the other week, even though it was not with Roddy himself :D
I failed to mention earlier that I also work for OR :-[

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2014, 09:20:49 PM »

Two weeks training down at Stone,

A slight side-track by me but I was under the impression that Stone was being closed down last year and the site being sold off for redevelopment . . .  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2014, 09:51:51 PM »

Sorry, it's just a BT-saying around our parts if you've been on for a number of years, as this was one of two main sites for training. I do believe they were selling most of the site for housing development, but can't quite remember if they were retaining part of the site or not ??

The main training site now will probably be Harrogate, for the lads and lasses up this way ?? Another great site gone to pot. The food there was pretty damned good in its day !!  :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 10:01:23 PM »

No trouble Black Sheep.

I myself attended the roadshow at Doncaster the other week, even though it was not with Roddy himself :D
I failed to mention earlier that I also work for OR :-[

Ha ha, he wasn't at ours either at The Reebok Stadium !! It was the General Manager as the main speaker, and a plethora of other tiered managers underneath him assisting with Q&A's, and helping to herd us around the stadium, like the sheeple we are.  ;D ;D

What area do you work in, machine ?? If you would rather keep it private, PM me. If you would rather not tell me, no problem either way, pal ?.  :)

machine

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2014, 04:51:02 PM »

I have experienced a drop in my sync speed and the hub seems to have rebooted itself this morning.
I tried a restart myself and got the same sync rate back >:(

machine

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2015, 02:14:09 PM »

I forgot that I had posted this question last year :-[

A year on my connection speed has now dropped again, but nothing major enough to worry about.
I am guessing this has happend because more ports are now being used in the DSLAM or because the G.INP has been initiated.

I am still using a Hub 5 (type A) as the router modem.
Can I use a HG612 as a modem and connect it to my Hub 5 as the router?
My cab is a Huawei so it may have updated to using G.INP and the Lantiq chipset in my Hub 5 can not make the most of it.

I was looking at a Hub 5 (type B) but cant seem to source one locally ;)
Having got my connection checked from the DSLAM side :cool: I can see that vectoring is yet to be switched on but see no sign of G.INP in there.

machine

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2015, 06:54:14 PM »

I decided to try the setup anyway and have got the following stats

Code: [Select]
xdslcmd info --stats
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 0
Last initialization procedure status: 0
Max: Upstream rate = 35268 Kbps, Downstream rate = 90732 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 20000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 79999 Kbps
Bearer: 1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile: Profile 17a
TPS-TC: PTM Mode(0x0)
Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 8.7 15.9
Attn(dB): 12.7 0.0
Pwr(dBm): 13.1 1.8
VDSL2 framing
Bearer 0
MSGc: -6 -6
B: 130 97
M: 1 1
T: 0 0
R: 8 8
S: 0.0518 0.1554
L: 21468 5457
D: 16 8
I: 139 106
N: 139 106
Q: 16 8
V: 14 2
RxQueue: 57 39
TxQueue: 19 13
G.INP Framing: 18 18
G.INP lookback: 19 13
RRC bits: 24 24
Bearer 1
MSGc: 186 58
B: 0 0
M: 2 2
T: 2 2
R: 16 16
S: 5.3333 16.0000
L: 48 16
D: 3 1
I: 32 32
N: 32 32
Q: 0 0
V: 0 0
RxQueue: 0 0
TxQueue: 0 0
G.INP Framing: 0 0
G.INP lookback: 0 0
RRC bits: 0 0
Counters
Bearer 0
OHF: 0 0
OHFErr: 0 0
RS: 354612928 2676819
RSCorr: 397 1
RSUnCorr: 0 0
Bearer 1
OHF: 287065 288075
OHFErr: 0 0
RS: 3444047 1152301
RSCorr: 0 0
RSUnCorr: 0 0

Retransmit Counters
rtx_tx: 50445 0
rtx_c: 10 0
rtx_uc: 0 0

G.INP Counters
LEFTRS: 0 0
minEFTR: 79982 20003
errFreeBits: 5626160 1405745

Bearer 0
HEC: 0 0
OCD: 0 0
LCD: 0 0
Total Cells: 709339197 0
Data Cells: 18752752 0
Drop Cells: 0
Bit Errors: 0 0

Bearer 1
HEC: 0 0
OCD: 0 0
LCD: 0 0
Total Cells: 0 0
Data Cells: 0 0
Drop Cells: 0
Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 0 0
SES: 0 0
UAS: 70 70
AS: 4611

Bearer 0
INP: 46.00 47.00
INPRein: 0.00 0.00
delay: 0 0
PER: 0.00 0.00
OR: 0.01 0.01
AgR: 80614.82 20102.08

Bearer 1
INP: 4.00 4.00
INPRein: 4.00 4.00
delay: 3 0
PER: 16.06 16.06
OR: 95.62 31.87
AgR: 95.62 31.87

Bitswap: 3230/3231 1/1

Total time = 1 hours 18 min 1 sec
FEC: 397 1
CRC: 0 0
LOS: 0 0
LOF: 0 0
LOM: 0 0
Latest 15 minutes time = 3 min 1 sec
FEC: 62 0
UAS: 0 0
Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
FEC: 1 0
Latest 1 day time = 1 hours 18 min 1 sec
Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
FEC: 0 0
Since Link time = 1 hours 16 min 49 sec
#

So it looks like G.INP is applied and working.
I will leave this setup connected and see how it goes.
Pages: 1 [2]