Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Download throughput against Plusnet Portal current line speed  (Read 3939 times)

tonyappuk

• Reg Member

Rather than face the full rigours of the fault reporting procedure I attempted to short circuit it by posting on the PN Community Forum. I don't seem to be getting anywhere there so if I may I'll ask my questions here.
It is no big deal but fairly recently my sync speed has increased from around 8 - 9Mb to 11.2 Mb. The PN Portal current line speed which replaced the line Profile (?) is now 10.2Mb but my maximum download throughput as shown on NetMeter is consistently 7.35Mb and has been for some months. Surely that throughput should have increased with the improved sync speed. What do I need to do to. I emphasise the throughput is this consistent 7.35Mb which seems suspicious. My SNRM is usually about 6-7dB during the day falling substantially at night. I have DSLStats running on my PN supplied 582 so more stats could be provided but I feel this is a limitation elsewhere and I'm curious.
Tony

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Download throughput against Plusnet Portal current line speed
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 07:58:51 PM »

What's your BTw IPprofile.  I know the PN one and bt one should be the same but it's worth checking.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 08:22:36 PM »

The BT one is 6.5Mb but that is not really why I'm asking. I know I'm doing quite well for an ADSL2+ circuit but syncing having increased from 9 to overe 11 Mb surely my throughput should not remain consistently at 7.35 Mb?*-
Tony

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 08:41:39 PM »

Have I understood?  Are you saying your btw ip-profile for your line is now showing as 6.5mbps?
That will be limiting your throughput surely?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 10:00:17 PM »

But not to 7.35 Mb surely. And what's up with the PN current rate at 10.2?
Tony

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 02:22:21 AM »

The PN line rate seems about right for your sync speed. 

But if the BTw ip-profile is showing as 6.5Mbps that will be limiting your speeds at the RAS and affecting your overall speeds.   

The ip-profile makes an allowance for overheads - its actually the bRAS profile with an adjustment for overheads that is supposed to give you an indication of your max net speed.    I dont know if its relevant, and Im too tired to do the Maths, but Ive noticed many times over the years that DUMeter & Netmeter records throughput speeds including TCP/IP overheads, which could be making some of the difference.

I am puzzled why your ip-profile and PN profile arent the same though, its usually the PN profile thats lagging behind.

ETA
You may have to raise a ticket to PN - The easiest way to explain it would to be to say you suspect you have a stuck bRAS profile.
-----

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 12:56:18 PM »

Thanks, Kitz. I'll mull it over and decide what to do. My download speed subjectively is OK for what I do so maybe I'll wait for June/July when FTTC is threatened!
Tony

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 07:06:32 PM »

Kitz
Thanks very much for your support on the PN Forum. It was kind of you. I'm still not entirely convinced by Chris' post as the PN line speed had been at 10.2 for a lot longer than 5 days. Not to worry it will all come out in the wash! I'll see if any of my downloads are actually any faster now and post back if anything interesting shows up. Once again, thanks for your interest.
Tony

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 09:43:25 PM »

nps, I was on there looking for something else earlier and saw your post, so thought Id chip in my 2p

I dont know what the issue could have been either..  obviously something on the BTw side, but Im glad its now resolved :)
-----

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 07:33:07 PM »

Just an update on my throughput speed anomoly. After two attemmpts by PN's Chris the BT Profile was increased to 10.46 Mb (the first time he tried there was no change). When I checked later my actual throughput download was over 10MB so that's fine. It does show you have to persist when you think you have a case and Kitz' support must have helped.
Tony

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 10:22:29 PM »

>>  It does show you have to persist when you think you have a case

Well done for poking them again, because I do believe 'something' was stuck despite it being much rarer these days.  It would be interesting to know though just exactly what go stuck, because it obviously took a few attempts by Chris for BTw to fix it.
-----