Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Extension not ringing after FTTC install  (Read 15540 times)

petez

• Just arrived
Re: Extension not ringing after FTTC install
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 10:01:54 PM »

Thanks for all the replies.

Am I correct in thinking that my options are either connect the filters or connect a ring wire and that the consensus is to use the filters ?

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 10:05:35 PM »

Personally I would use filters on those phones that need them and consider the filter is part of the phone - maybe even label it.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 10:44:20 PM »

Thanks for all the replies.

Am I correct in thinking that my options are either connect the filters or connect a ring wire and that the consensus is to use the filters ?

Yes.

It is also worth explaining the other purpose of the wire, which is not just to provide the ring signal (the phones can do that themselves with a capacitor), rather it is to clamp the ring signal during dialling, and stop the various extensin phones interfering with one another.  In the days of rotary dials and pulse signalling, the pulses would otherwise be mistaken as 'ring' signal by other extensions, causing them to 'ding-a-ling' in time with the dialling.

Nowadays, with DTMF tone dialling, above does not apply, and so individual filters generating ringtone for each phone that needs them should work fine.

As per my earlier post, I worry a tiny bit that a disconnected ring wire may provide an excuse for predatory attention from BT or one of their subs, under the excuse of 'correcting' your wiring.   The risk is probably slight, especially if you understand it and are able to politely decline anynoffers to 'repair' it.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 04:23:59 PM »

I have to agree with Black Sheep

For instance when I went over to do ADSL I went into a dedicated team as it was at the time.
The Guys in the team were great as where the Manager and the coaches in giving me advice and support whenever I needed it. However the inital "training" was a day of some very basic info. I was shaddowed by one of the coaches. But ADSL by general agreement is a bit quirky to fault sometimes. And by far the main learning I recived was on the job - self teaching.

(Oh and one of the coaches told me about this really handy site on the net with lots of info. It was really handy, after some time I felt confident enough to dip my toe into the forum. It's called Cats.?...Kitty.?....Puttytat-band.?...  .com something like that. Anyway a lot of Enginneers in openreach where using the site for info  ;))

A lot of the learning on the job is on your own. Some Managers and Coaches are really supportive. Some are not, Some are complete  :-X

As for the issue with the bell wire. If you were to look at the basic circuit diagram of an NTE and the very basic principal diagram of a radio such as an AM radio there is a stricking resemblance. Each do a different job but one can begin to behave like the other.
It's not an issue when the NTE was first designed. If some radio inteference did come up which could be heard on the normal voice telephony then almost always an RF filter would do the trick. Although in a much higher frequency range than you or I can hear the wiring is picking up all sorts of EMF. Not a problem though.
Then many years down the line we come up with DSL. Great ! what a wonderfull system, except whats all this noise stuff ? OH !
Removing the bell wire Changes the dynamics of the circuit. Making far far less suseptible to EMF inerference.
The DSL filters have a few RF filter coils to reduce the interference on the A & B legs of the telephone wires whilst letting the DSL signal through. It reduces the venerability caused by the internal wiring And Blocks most of the interference from your phone equipment from being transmitted back into your phone line. It leaves a straight through unhindered path for the dsl signal.

The coils on a dsl filter are similar if not the same as that in an rf3. The I-plate has a filter on the bell wire similar if not the same as one of the coils in a RF2

(when I tested an rf2 I think the db loss for dsl was about 43db, rf15a was about 84db, so the limit for dsl sync through an rf2 on 0.5mm copper is about 2.7km unless its corroded) Again this is stuff I had to work out for my self. Don't know if Blacksheep wants to have a play with a Hawk one lunchtime.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 06:36:31 PM »

Ezz, mate. You know, and I know ..... lunchtime is for switching off as much as you can, from the OTT stresses piled upon us, daily.

If I so much as caught a glimpse of a tester during this precious 40mins break, I'd have to fill out a 'STREAM' report !! I have to be honest and say they've almost, not quite, but almost, knocked all the goodwill out of me. I've started to do what's expected of me, and no more pal. I used to do lots of stuff of an evening that helped both myself and other colleagues out, but no more !! All I see is the wrong people being promoted, and the poor engineers carrying on regardless. we've lost our way immensely, IMHO.

Good read though on your post above, I've learnt something.  :)

Rant over ....... as you were !!  ;) ;D

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 08:00:51 PM »

Seems I got out just before things were turning sour in My old patch.

When sorting my move out of my place I spotted a colleague working off My DP. Flat Dry pavement yet the ladder had the bottom tied to the pole. As you know no one ever bothers with this unless there's a slope or slippy ground, or a trainning session.

The reason. Managers were sneeking up on engineers seeing if they could "Get them" on some issue. Apparently quite a few disiplinarys have been handed out. I had the same story from several contacts. Morale had taken a nose dive.

I was In a team once where the Manager was a really nasty piece of work. One of the Coaches would always sniff around any van in the exchange car park. Some enginneers would get pulled up for some thing or another. When I changed teams we had Meetings in the same room. I couldn't figure what was different in the room. Same furniture, same carpet,same walls ceiling. It was the mood.  Meetings in the old team everyone was too scared to speak up most of the time, to avoid being targeted. The different team. The manager couldn't be more different. Supportive, listening, proactive. The whole mood was so much lighter It was as if the room had been redecorated. Also (and I hope some managers out there are reading and taking this in) because of the different attitude. every one didn't bat an eyelid about going that extra mile for the customer or the company. It was a culture shock gettting regular calls from manager or coach to ask "How are you doing, do need any thing, any help?" we all got that in that team. Nothing like the other team. Every one just did their bit, no more. No compusion to, and in case doing that bit extra dropped you in it. 

Buttbri

• Just arrived
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2014, 02:20:54 PM »

Can I just say as a new mwember how happy I am to have found you guys. I have been having trouble with a BT Duet 210 which would not ring on extension socket after BT engineer removed filters after Infinity. Just read your replies to just this question - put the filter back and Eureka the phone now rings.
Thanks Guys. Wonderful   Buttbri. 

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2014, 07:30:18 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, and welcome ....... Buttbri.  :)
Pages: 1 [2]

anything