Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Warning Homeplugs Interfere with the Modem  (Read 14760 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Warning Homeplugs Interfere with the Modem
« on: May 11, 2014, 05:30:37 PM »

I bought one of those new smart TV's Toshiba LED 40" it says wireless ready but it does not have the Integrated wireless hardware you need to use WiFI usb Dongle, anyway I pulled out the Homeplugs again to connect new TV to the internet and it all worked well (2 hours) but was worried about FEC errors as they increased from 4000 to 850000 and my VDSL line has had a retrain reason 1 overnight and Interleave has gone from 575 to 1273.

I know should have not used the homeplugs but it was just to test the smart part of the new TV it was only for 2 hours and now I will have to wait 14 days for the line to recover.

Bought a cheap Wi-Fi dongle to-day but it does not connect, does anyone know which Wi-Fi dongle to use on a Toshiba 40L345*DB

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Warning Homeplugs Interfere with the Modem
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 07:27:47 PM »

Only thing I can say is that I use TP-Link homeplugs to provide wireless downstairs (ADSL2+ only) and as far as I can tell they do not interfere with my line which would have been up for some 80+days but only went down because my wife insisted I dust the shelf with my HG622 modem on and I managed to knock the power button and power it off >:( >:( :-X

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 07:32:42 PM »

Not sure if my experience applies but my Panasonic TV requires their own brand wifi dongle (at high price) to work wirelessly. I have tried other methods but the most foolproof is an Ethernet cable but this is often not very convenient.
Tony

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 08:03:12 PM »

Only thing I can say is that I use TP-Link homeplugs to provide wireless downstairs (ADSL2+ only) and as far as I can tell they do not interfere with my line.

Stuart

I was using the TP-Link 200Mbps (AV 200 mini) pairs last night could show you Graphs of interference but I am just fed up with any powerline adapters I use inside my home it's either Lan cable or WI-FI have made a dozen or so posts relating to HG612 and powerline adapters on these forums this time they are going into Black Bin.

Yes tonyappuk it looks the same for Toshiba but only just started to investicate why most dongles won't work so it's looks like its down to the chipset used and it seems the working dongles for smart TV's also have the driver built into the firmware in the dongle, as with most PC devices you need a driver to communicate with the hardware.

edit : just notice another retrain this evening INP from 3 to 8 cheers powerline adapters  >:(

« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 08:36:51 PM by NewtronStar »

Ducky

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 09:36:30 PM »

I've got several homeplugs in my house but I don't think they are causing any interference, used them in my previous house also with Infinity2 and saw no problems.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 10:43:10 PM »

I am not doubting you have a problem when you use Homeplugs, and its your call to use cat5 or 6 or wi-fi instead.

However I do wonder if it could be related to your house wiring as there is much evidence to say that they do work in many cases. I have seen a number of problems caused by mains wiring over the years. How old is your wiring? Are you sure your household earth is properly bonded to a valid earth spike and properly connected to your sockets with no loose connections? Is there any evidence of interference on other things like radios or TV when things like central heating pumps come on or the fridge compressor starts up? It is strange that your connection is bad when the only common factor between the homeplugs and router is the mains and since routers have a PSU whatever it is gets through that PSU to the router circuitry, if I had to check out one thing it would be earthing.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 10:56:14 PM »

FWIW, I use Devolo 500 dLAN homeplugs.

I monitored my stats very closely when I first started using them.
There has been no evidence at all of interference etc.

In fact, as you know, my connection returned to fastpath just over a fortnight ago, with a slight increase in sync speed & it hasn't resynced since.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 12:30:16 AM »

I am not doubting you have a problem when you use Homeplugs, and its your call to use cat5 or 6 or wi-fi instead.

However I do wonder if it could be related to your house wiring as there is much evidence to say that they do work in many cases.
Stuart

I'll not be going into house wiring in-depth but it was all updated in the early 90's how often does the house mains need wiring all sockets have and earth terminal, it's a case the Powerlines are producing electro magnetic interference inside the house or finding it's way out to the drop wire outside and looping back into the HG612.

Any yes BE1 it may be the two Pairs I have have gone bad, I am not going to fork out any more money on these nasty REIN devices maybe the EU will ban them in 2016  ;D

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 07:30:32 AM »

Perhaps you do not need the wiring  replaced but at a more modest cost you could have it tested to see if any deterioration has taken place without any bad effect prior to use of the plugs.

VDSL2User

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 08:26:37 AM »

I live in a house just 10 years old and I also noticed issues using powerline adaptors
on the FEC rates with VDSL. I don't have any wiring issues with my house.
I did not see such dramatic effects on ADSL+, I guess because it does not use the
higher frequencies of VDSL and it is the high frequencies that normally have the least
SNRM margin/protection.
I was using an HG612 unlocked modem to monitor stats and when I stopped using
the adaptors my FEC count reduced by 10,000's a minute.
My guess is this may be more normal than people think as most may be using
devices on which stats can't be monitored e.g. HH5.
Normally if FEC counts remain in at reasonable or even slightly high level the line
will cope as long as long as it does not result in either high Error Seconds or
high CRC counters as well.
One thing you could try is using an APC power surge protector which has built-in
RFI/EMI interference filter on the modem power supply to see if this will filter out the
powerline frequencies from getting to the modem via its switched mode power adaptor.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 04:59:43 PM »

me and a few others keep trying to warn everyone homeplugs are plain bad :(

but still people keep using them as they find using ethernet cable too hard for some reason :/

Now newtronstar after you improved your line with the nte5 fixes I was hoping and waiting to see if you would get eventually get fast path but you trashed it by using those horrible devices again :( you thrown them away yet?

also I think its a bit shady for someone to sell a tv as wireless ready but cannot connect without an external device.  are you absolutely sure it has no integrated wireless?  I dont think a wifi dongle will work on a tv as its not a computer.

says built in here.

http://www.hiwayhifi.co.uk/toshiba-40l3453db-fhd-smart-led-inc-pc-input
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 05:01:53 PM by Chrysalis »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 05:06:08 PM »

However I do wonder if it could be related to your house wiring as there is much evidence to say that they do work in many cases. I have seen a number of problems caused by mains wiring over the years. How old is your wiring? Are you sure your household earth is properly bonded to a valid earth spike and properly connected to your sockets with no loose connections? Is there any evidence of interference on other things like radios or TV when things like central heating pumps come on or the fridge compressor starts up? It is strange that your connection is bad when the only common factor between the homeplugs and router is the mains and since routers have a PSU whatever it is gets through that PSU to the router circuitry, if I had to check out one thing it would be earthing.

Stuart

bear in mind it can also be the case people use these devices, dont see issues themselves but they causes interference for neighbours around them.  Also they can interfere with radio as well.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 05:10:05 PM by Chrysalis »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 05:31:21 PM »

me and a few others keep trying to warn everyone homeplugs are plain bad :(

but still people keep using them as they find using ethernet cable too hard for some reason :/

All my 'important' stuff is connected via ethernet cable, but homeplugs are used for Mrs. Eagle's Facebook/Candy Crush/streaming video needs in the other room & for any visitors who feel the need to check things via their mobile phones every few minutes.

I do admit that I'm slightly obsessed with connection stats  :lol:
If I'd seen the slightest deterioration of my connection by using homeplugs, they would have gone straight in the bin !!!

Maybe it's only SOME homeplugs that cause problems?
Mine don't.  :o

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 06:23:51 PM »

also I think its a bit shady for someone to sell a tv as wireless ready but cannot connect without an external device.  are you absolutely sure it has no integrated wireless?  I dont think a wifi dongle will work on a tv as its not a computer.

says built in here.

http://www.hiwayhifi.co.uk/toshiba-40l3453db-fhd-smart-led-inc-pc-input

Unfortunatley Chry I purcased the 40L3451DB it's Wi-FI ready.

It is annoying the stats were looking ok until i used the powerline adapters and I am ready to receive the BT80 RF3 and install so it looks like i'll have to postpone that DIY job until a later date.

And I know its my fault never should have brought them out of storage, and yes they are in the bin as of yesterday under a pile of fire ash.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 07:03:03 PM »

I was using an HG612 unlocked modem to monitor stats and when I stopped using
the adaptors my FEC count reduced by 10,000's a minute.
My guess is this may be more normal than people think as most may be using
devices on which stats can't be monitored e.g. HH5.

Yes VDSL2User and thankyou for your good post and welcome to the forums.

As you said it looks like I am not the only one having the PowerLine Adapter issue with VDSL+2, I can't be a one of case there must be many thoudsands with the same issue but as they can't  moniter the damage being done to their line stats, they must think this the best i can get from my VDSL2 line  :(
Pages: [1] 2