Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: RFI identified but whats the cure?  (Read 43581 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: RFI identified but whats the cure?
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2014, 08:39:07 PM »

What a fun evening Installed BT80B RF3 it was easy going, checked the phone it's working, started up the HG612 and waited the DSL led keeps blinking after say 20 mins no connection installed the SSFP MarkII and again blinking DSL leds gave it another 20 mins still not connecting then removed BT80B RF3 and re-installed the old box and rebooted the HG612 it connects straight away  ???

The phone works with BT80B RF3 but the HG612 can't get a sync  :no:

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2014, 10:25:27 PM »

Odd. Sure it's an RF3 and not an RF2?
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2014, 10:26:47 PM »

Odd. Sure it's an RF3 and not an RF2?

Hmmm would it make a difference ?
as per BC's note: It blocks common mode signals (as best as it can) from baseband (0 Hz) to the upper frequencies used by xDSL whilst allowing differential mode signals to pass.

it deffinately blocks the common mode signals as why the HG612 will not SYNC on VDSL  :(
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 10:38:25 PM by NewtronStar »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2014, 10:39:25 PM »

The RF2 filter is sometimes fitted to a line to mitigate the effect of radio frequency interference causing degradation to telephony audio quality. They are normally fitted as a result of a customer complaint and when strong levels of radio signals have been identified as the cause of noise on PSTN service. They are normally fitted at the customer premises but can also be found at the exchange MDF. The RF2 is designed to block High Frequency (HF) radio signals (both common mode and transverse mode). Because ADSL is a transverse HF signal (25kHz to 1.1MHz) it is inhibited by the RF2. A new design, the RF3, has replaced the RF2 which is ADSL friendly – it blocks only the common mode HF signal.

The effect of the RF2 on ADSL Broadband is to increase the downstream loss by 31dB and so can cause No Synchronisation and Loss Of Synchronisation type faults. Typically modems will train but loose synch after a few seconds.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2014, 10:48:10 PM »

Whoops ...... forgot to add .......... to identify between the two, the RF2 comprises of 2 ferrite core inductors whereas the RF3 incorporates a single iron wound device.

I'm sure there's been mention of this before, but just to highlight it again.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2014, 10:49:53 PM »

The RF2 filter is sometimes fitted to a line to mitigate the effect of radio frequency interference causing degradation to telephony audio quality. They are normally fitted as a result of a customer complaint and when strong levels of radio signals have been identified as the cause of noise on PSTN service. They are normally fitted at the customer premises but can also be found at the exchange MDF. The RF2 is designed to block High Frequency (HF) radio signals (both common mode and transverse mode). Because ADSL is a transverse HF signal (25kHz to 1.1MHz) it is inhibited by the RF2. A new design, the RF3, has replaced the RF2 which is ADSL friendly – it blocks only the common mode HF signal.

The effect of the RF2 on ADSL Broadband is to increase the downstream loss by 31dB and so can cause No Synchronisation and Loss Of Synchronisation type faults. Typically modems will train but loose synch after a few seconds.

Look Blacksheep if you look at your copy and paste text it refers to ADSL not one mention of VDSL or as BC puts it xDSL there is A and V there is a difference  ;)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2014, 10:59:28 PM »

Have you swallowed a 'Cheeky stard' pill, NS ??

We know there's ADSL and VDSL, but VDSL's D1 band-plan utilises the ADSL frequencies that wouldn't work with the RF2 fitted. Would it not be the same when fitted to a VDSL circuit ?

Would it not be easier to say if you have an RF2 or an RF3 ??  ;)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2014, 11:07:37 PM »

Have you swallowed a 'Cheeky stard' pill, NS ??

We know there's ADSL and VDSL, but VDSL's D1 band-plan utilises the ADSL frequencies that wouldn't work with the RF2 fitted. Would it not be the same when fitted to a VDSL circuit ?

Would it not be easier to say if you have an RF2 or an RF3 ??  ;)

The RF2 faceplate works on NTE5 VDSL but the BT80 RF3 blocks the signal to HG612 VDSL yet the Voice works (phone is working) your the Engineer so I am looking for an explanation into why this could be the case.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2014, 11:11:29 PM »

My job's to fit them if needed, not work out the applied physics behind them. I thought this was more your own department ?

Semmy

• Reg Member
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2014, 11:26:43 PM »

NS, it appears to be just the RF3 you have that blocks the VDSL not all RF3's as quite clearly mine functions with it fitted.
Is it possible you have a faulty RF3?
Ideal Epitaph - "I knew I shouldn't have pressed that button"

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2014, 11:33:09 PM »

My job's to fit them if needed, not work out the applied physics behind them. I thought this was more your own department ?

Sorry I don't meen to come across as being cheeky on the Kitz forum it's just i started to install this BT80 RF3 at 18:45 and then finding it does not work on VDSL and having to install to previous state 20:30 so I am fed up with and yes it looks like I was used as the guinea pig for VDSL it's not the first time ;)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2014, 11:35:53 PM »

NS, it appears to be just the RF3 you have that blocks the VDSL not all RF3's as quite clearly mine functions with it fitted.
Is it possible you have a faulty RF3?

send me a PM where you bought the BT80 RF3
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 11:39:40 PM by NewtronStar »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2014, 11:53:05 PM »

Thanks Semmy have purchased an other one from your PM thanks.

Have a question, do you also have the SSFP MarkII installed at the NTE5 ?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2014, 12:08:55 AM »

What a fun evening Installed BT80B RF3 it was easy going, checked the phone it's working, started up the HG612 and waited the DSL led keeps blinking after say 20 mins no connection installed the SSFP MarkII and again blinking DSL leds gave it another 20 mins still not connecting then removed BT80B RF3 and re-installed the old box and rebooted the HG612 it connects straight away  ???

The phone works with BT80B RF3 but the HG612 can't get a sync  :no:

:'(  I can only assume that the RF3 is faulty . . . (Or the seller saw you coming and decided to get rid of an old RF2.  :o  )

If it helps, I purchased my RF3 from here.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8