Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Is it still worth matching OR Modem to DSLAM hardware  (Read 4813 times)

JamesK

• Reg Member
Is it still worth matching OR Modem to DSLAM hardware
« on: February 07, 2014, 12:37:08 PM »

Hi All,

After sorting out some issues with my internal phone wiring last year the best connection I'd managed to get out of my HG612 modem was the following, with an INP level of 3:

Max:   Upstream rate = 8775 Kbps, Downstream rate = 41488 Kbps
Path:   0, Upstream rate = 8827 Kbps, Downstream rate = 35526 Kbps

Link Power State:   L0
Mode:         VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile:      Profile 17a
TPS-TC:         PTM Mode
Trellis:      U:ON /D:ON
Line Status:      No Defect
Training Status:   Showtime
      Down      Up
SNR (dB):    6.1       6.0
Attn(dB):    0.0       0.0
Pwr(dBm):    11.0       5.2
         VDSL2 framing
         Path 0
B:      63      238
M:      1      1
T:      64      59
R:      16      16
S:      0.0573      0.8611
L:      11167      2369
D:      563      1
I:      80      255
N:      80      255

This resulted in download tests from speedtest.net of about 32/33mbps.

I'd read that matching the Openreach modem with the hardware in DSLAM could be beneficial to speed and reduce/eliminate interleaving. So I brought an ECI /R modem. I saw an immediate increase in speed. The speedtest.net results jumped to a regular 36mbps. I still think the line is slightly interleaved as a traceroute to the first hop beyond my router is 12/13ms. I've not hacked the modem so can't get to any of the detailed stats.

A few weeks after doing this I think the ECI modem received a firmware update as it rebooted during the night around the same time as HG612 users were noticing they'd had a firmware upgrade as well. However, apart from the ECI modem has been rock solid and there's been no re-sync's of the line forced by DLM.

I was wondering if it was still beneficial to match the OR modem to the DSLAM since the firmware upgrades, and if the HG612 now performed as well as the ECI modem when connected to the ECI DSLAM.

I do miss not having access to the statistics, and am tempted to re-connect the HG612, but also don't want to mess around too much with the line in case DLM decides to kick in again.

Virgin M500+Asus RT-AX86U

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Is it still worth matching OR Modem to DSLAM hardware
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 01:07:18 PM »

In theory its supposed to be,  but in reality it depends on your line, so theres never any hard and fast rule.

In using a Huawei on an ECI dslam, but since I cant get stats from my ECI modem I stick with the Huawei, which means unfortunately I have no way of comparing.

Even when it comes to the modems, it would appear firmware can also make a difference,  and why some are now divided on which version of the HG612 firmware to use.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

biohead

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 02:20:28 PM »

Following from what Kitz says, my parents are on an ECI cab and have an unlocked ECI modem. Pairing an ECI modem with that cab results in a higher sync speed than using a standard HG612... HOWEVER, using a HG612 with firmware that included a newer BLOB results in a higher sync speed than with the standard ECI modem. 

Just to make matters all the more simpler  ???

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 02:33:18 PM »

on my line the hg612 syncs higher (on a ECI cab).  However the ECI modem has a lower error rate.

I have always seen it as the ECI can give a higher sync speed if the lower error rate is the difference between fast path and interleaving.  Yours is the first case i have seen where the direct sync speed is higher.  So I am guessing the line conditions are affecting how well the ECI works as well.

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 07:08:49 PM »

My line performs better with an ECI modem, I really need to get around to unlocking it. Then I will publish the comparison between the two modems! :)

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 03:39:54 PM »

Out of interest today I wanted to see if the new firmware in the HG612 made a difference to my line. The result was that it didn't. My line is about 950/1000m away from the cabinet. I've attached the stats. In a real world speedtest.net comparison the ECI gives around 2.5mb/s better downloads. 34.3mb/s vs. 36.9mb/s.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 06:49:50 PM »

Hi james thats interesting that your line can utilize the US band U2 as your 950/1000m from cab thats impressive it shows my line of 850/900m is not doing to well or I am futher from the FTTC Cab than first thought, using HG612 to Huawei cab  :(

Edited due to spelling mistake "Huawei"  :-[
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 08:25:11 PM by NewtronStar »

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 11:36:49 PM »

Looking at the speedtest.net results again I found even though I lost some download speed with the HG612 I did gain around 1.5mb/s in upload speed.

fincastle84

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 02:55:20 PM »

My HG612 was losing speed so Plusnet arranged for a BTOR engineer visit. He arrived the following morning! :D He replaced the 612 with an ECI BFOCUS V-2/r which he said is a). more reliable b). will increase my speed & c). run a lot cooler.

He was correct on all 3 counts & for the first time since I converted to fibre I'm now achieving my expected speeds, an increase in D/L speed from 37 to 50 Mbs.