Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What are the max throughputs of HG612 and HG622 when used as modem and router  (Read 3366 times)

les-70

• Kitizen

Please can anyone advise whether an HG612 or HG622 used as  modem AND router will cope with a FTTC 80/20 connection to a single PC and deliver a full download?    I have trawled thorough past posts but failed to find an answer.

If not I assume I need a decent router, I have a wgr614 and the wireless on that is good, but I wonder whether its CPU will make the full 76Mb/s download over the ethernet?

In some ways a decent router seems like overkill as I only connect one pc and a wireless g access point.  Nothing faster than wireless g gets very far in my property as there always seems to be about 3 walls and 10-20m in the way.   If I need a router are there any  recommendations given the range and walls issues. 

Thanks

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

I don't have any hard and fast data to hand (paw) but I do recall Asbokid performing some calculations with regards to the performance ability of a Huawei HG612 when used as a modem/router/firewall/PPPoE client/DNS server/DHCP server rather than just as a bridging device.

If I remember correctly, the HG612 would be able to cope with a 40/10 Mbps service but would struggle with a 80/20 Mbps service.

How about performing a real-live test?  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

les-70

• Kitizen

I am hoping to go live with FTTC on 3rd Jan and will indeed find out then or soon after. It would be nice to know now though.   The HG622 has more memory than the HG612 but I think it has the same processing power.

Currently I am looking doubtfully at the TG582n pro that TalkTalk Business provides and wondering whether it will annoy me too much.  The odd web gui and the alarming potential for TalkTalk B to interfere with it remotely bother me at the moment.  I have not tried configuring it much yet but so far it has been hard work and -on the first thing I tried - I have not spotted whether I can restrict WAN pings replies to specific IP's on the TG582n -- I may need to try harder.  I can at least do that the HG's.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project

The HG622 has more memory than the HG612 but I think it has the same processing power.

Yes, indeed, that is the case. The same BCM6368 device.

les-70

• Kitizen

This page on Plusnet forums  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=112626.msg969073#msg969073  suggests that the HG612 might cope.  I am not sure if the HG622 is just the same.  It is certainly the same BCM device but it has twice the memory and possibly other hardware differences.

les-70

• Kitizen

I can now add that the wan-lan throughput on a Hg622 is in excess of 75mb/s. I expect to stick to the HG622 as I can set up all that want on its firewall quiet easily.   In terms of the wan-lan the HG622 seems as good as a HG612/TG582n combination or a HG612/DIR 615 combination.  However for wireless on the Hg622 is turned of as it did not work well for me.  I find  DIR615 the best wireless access point.

I will test the HG612 another time but I expect the same result.

Not sure where my connection is though, engineer came last Friday pm.   ??? In spite of a 80/20 sync throughput varied between 1 and 74mb/s   :( over the weekend and 1mb/s occurred quite often.

Yesterday I discovered yesterday that Openreach deny that I have had an install and deny that I am or can be connected to FTTC.  After a few calls to TTB technical support they finally agreed that Openreach must be wrong and TTB think the engineer may have omitted to sign the job off!  The lack of that sign off seems to mean that TTB can't control my connection, they can detect it but most info is just missing apart from the PPOE login and identifying the connection as FTTC. Late on yesterday the connection suddenly started to work as it should with a 74 -75 mb/s download each time tested   :)  - perhaps something was done somewhere. 

However the saga continues today with Openreach still insisting that not engineer came and I can't be connected.  A second engineer is now promised by them next week  but TTB are not giving in and are trying to get hand over action from them!   I am waiting to be cut off!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project

Thank you for sharing your experimental results. So apart from the wireless, a HG622 is a perfectly competent all-in-one device for a GEA FTTC service.  :)

As for the other phoo-bah . . .  :-\  :-X  :no:

anything