Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22

Author Topic: HG612 new firmware - Preliminary results.  (Read 206464 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: HG612 new firmware - Preliminary results.
« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2013, 11:27:42 AM »

Yes, I'm sorry Les, I did miss your point about trying it with the HG612 disconnected. I just hooked up the one with the B030SP06_unlockedgui-nobtagent firmware to a spare PC and tried the test. I found the same as you, namely that the parameters which I entered in the command "xdslcmd configure --maxDataRate 6000 900 7000" were showing in the --cfg command. This didn't happen when it was connected, so it looks as though you could be right, that this command applies only to VDSL2 connections.
  Eric

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2013, 12:27:23 PM »

Its does seem most likely that max... is only for vdsl but with my adsl2 annex m the changes still show up with --cfg hence me wondering whether it was just annex m causing my failure.  As a test for when your bored! Did you try connecting the adsl line (with no power down) after it showing up with --cfg. If so did connecting get rid of it showing with --cfg? 

Also re the sluggish gui, that has now vanished for me. 
Separately the sluggish gui also annoyed me as did a slow two stage sync attempts.  I deleted the PTM connection and left just the ATM one for adsl2.  This seems to given a faster single stage sync and I think it got the gui to move as fast as any do.  With these settings I also downloaded a config file then after a full reset uploaded.  I doubt that this was needed but it was part of my testing.  It was after this I really noticed the much improved gui speed and I also did the max..... tests.  No dropout here but equally no long tests either.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 01:05:23 PM by les-70 »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2013, 12:48:01 PM »

As a test for when your bored! Did you try connecting the adsl line (with no power down) after it showing up with --cfg. If so did connecting get rid of it showing with --cfg?

I don't get bored. :)

I'll give that a try when I get the chance, but at present I don't want to mess with my connection.
  Eric

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2013, 03:08:10 PM »

Thanks for all your good work HW. Tomorrow I'll put back the HG612 with GUI-included firmware and do some more testing. Yesterday I was more concerned with getting my network working, and didn't do all the research I could have done.

I quite understand. Getting it working, whatever 'it' might be, usually takes priority.

In the meantime I've been doing some very simplistic tests using the spare offline to eliminate external influences as much as possible.

I used the following procedure with B028SP10_unlocked-nobtagent first, then B030SP06_unlockedgui-nobtagent.

Flash firmware to modem.
Restore default settings using reset button.
Clear firefox cache.
Run top on serial console.
Examine every interface page and make two changes. Enable SNTP and Logging.

I ran through this twice using and got almost identical results on both occasions. These are from the second run.

B028SP10   Initial   Mem: 21320K used, 7624K free, 0K shrd, 2064K buff, 6092K cached
   Minimum   Mem: 22620K used, 6324K free, 0K shrd, 2356K buff, 6732K cached
B030SP06   Initial   Mem: 21032K used, 7712K free, 0K shrd, 2032K buff, 5940K cached
   Minimum   Mem: 22276K used, 6468K free, 0K shrd, 2300K buff, 6516K cached

Two test runs barely constitute a sample but it looks like B030SP10 uses less memory despite the inclusion of the web interface.

In the words of Alice, Curiouser and Curiouser...  ???

One2Go

« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2013, 08:19:11 PM »

I tried the experimental firmware. what can i say????? Thanks to the author. the gui is back , now i am very happy.
all thanks due to all those who contribute with their efforts to make this site a great place to visit. Well done
Was on 5mb, now on 60mb on 80/20. stable never had a major issue

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2013, 09:21:50 PM »

I might have to get one of these (again!). I am very interested in testing this out!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #111 on: October 31, 2013, 02:24:16 PM »

I've done some more testing on the B030SP06_unlockedgui-nobtagent firmware. As before, all my remote streaming devices stopped receiving data, although they had good WiFi connections to the network. Directly connected PCs continued to work normally. I tried three extra tests:

1. I checked to see if streaming media (e.g.YouTube videos) would work on the PCs connected directly. Everything worked normally.

2. I used a tablet PC to check if non-streaming internet usage would work via WiFi. It didn't work, although the WiFi connection was shown as good.

3. I connected an internet radio directly to the network by ethernet to see if a streaming device would work when directly connected. It didn't work.

While I was conducting these tests, the GUI became almost completely unresponsive, and effectively unusable.

For the record, the HG612 device details are the same as One2Go's details shown above (apart from a different device ID of course).

I really don't know what to make of this. Apart from the three directly connected PCs, nothing seems to have internet access, although everything connects to the network satisfactorily. As before, replacing the HG612 with my other one with the non-GUI version of this firmware restored normal working to every device. I can only think that it's a memory issue.

Eric

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2013, 03:56:05 PM »

I have not had the same problem but probably have a similar set up.  I did think deleting the PTM connection and leaving just the ATM one for adsl2 helped my gui speed. I am not sure whether this could effect memory use but before deleting the PTM the ATM always synced in the second set of flashing lights as the HG612 seemed to try the PTM first.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #113 on: October 31, 2013, 04:59:00 PM »

before deleting the PTM the ATM always synced in the second set of flashing lights as the HG612 seemed to try the PTM first.

That's an interesting point. Both of my HG612s sync in two stages as you said. I'll have another try with the GUI-included firmware, but I won't have time tomorrow.
  Eric

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
« Reply #114 on: October 31, 2013, 05:22:21 PM »

I've done some more testing on the B030SP06_unlockedgui-nobtagent firmware. As before, all my remote streaming devices stopped receiving data, although they had good WiFi connections to the network. Directly connected PCs continued to work normally. I tried three extra tests:

1. I checked to see if streaming media (e.g.YouTube videos) would work on the PCs connected directly. Everything worked normally.

2. I used a tablet PC to check if non-streaming internet usage would work via WiFi. It didn't work, although the WiFi connection was shown as good.

3. I connected an internet radio directly to the network by ethernet to see if a streaming device would work when directly connected. It didn't work.

While I was conducting these tests, the GUI became almost completely unresponsive, and effectively unusable.

For the record, the HG612 device details are the same as One2Go's details shown above (apart from a different device ID of course).

I really don't know what to make of this. Apart from the three directly connected PCs, nothing seems to have internet access, although everything connects to the network satisfactorily. As before, replacing the HG612 with my other one with the non-GUI version of this firmware restored normal working to every device. I can only think that it's a memory issue.

Bugger!  I suppose I should have known it wouldn't be as simple as it appeared. Probably did somewhere in the back of my mind.

Can I impose upon you terribly and ask you to run some tests for me when you get time.

If you still have telnet access when everything has ground to a halt, can you run 'top' to get the memory stats.

Also, try killing the 'web' processes as soon as the modem finishes booting - before the interface is used - and see if it still grinds to a halt. Comparision memory stats from after you've killed the web processes and after the wireless devices stop working would also be useful.

If it would help I can build an image in which the web interface is not automatically started. It could then be started via telnet when needed and stopped afterwards.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #115 on: October 31, 2013, 06:35:15 PM »

Can I impose upon you terribly and ask you to run some tests for me when you get time.

If you still have telnet access when everything has ground to a halt, can you run 'top' to get the memory stats.

Also, try killing the 'web' processes as soon as the modem finishes booting - before the interface is used - and see if it still grinds to a halt. Comparision memory stats from after you've killed the web processes and after the wireless devices stop working would also be useful.

Yes, I can do those things. Unfortunately I'm tied up tomorrow, but I'll give them a try on Saturday.

It's probably not necessary to build a special image - I can stop and restart the web interface.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #116 on: October 31, 2013, 09:14:05 PM »

Off topic for this thread but having some relevance with 'two goes' at establishing synchronisation . . .

My Huawei HG622 does exactly that . . . However I do not have any PTM defined. The only thing that may be relevant is that 'All' is selected. (As in G.Dmt, ADSL2, ADSL2+, VDSL2, etc.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #117 on: October 31, 2013, 09:30:48 PM »

That is interesting, I am of course using annex m and that needs setting specifically.   Mine definitely only does only one sync but I do select annex m  via --configure before connecting.

The gui in the lastest version does not allow just adsl2+ to be selected, it sticks at "all" -- at least mine does.  You can however easily select just one option (other than annex m) by editing a saved config file replacing "ALL" with eg "ADSL"+" and then uploading it.  Done that way the change persists.

edit -- in fact I am fairly sure I had two syncs with annex m enable prior to removing the defined connection under the ptm tab  -- I  will do a few careful tests tomorrow in case my recollections are wrong
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 09:39:15 PM by les-70 »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #118 on: October 31, 2013, 10:53:03 PM »

Both my HG612s are configured for ADSL2+ only, and still sync in two stages. I'm not sure about PTM, and I can't check at the moment because I don't have a GUI interface and I don't know how to get the information from the CLI.
  Eric

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #119 on: November 01, 2013, 10:27:43 AM »

???   I am fairly confused at the moment and have made a resolution to test things more carefully before posting anything.

In summary nothing I have tried with the 038 version with GUI + nobtagent will make it return to a double sync -this included a hard reset and minimal addition of the ATM connection. 

Returning to the 035 new blob asbo version brings back the double sync.  Upgrading back to 038 returns the single sync.   ???
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 10:33:54 AM by les-70 »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22

anything