Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Netgear DGND3300v2 Dual Band ADSL2+ Modem/Router  (Read 11450 times)

Archie

Netgear DGND3300v2 Dual Band ADSL2+ Modem/Router
« on: August 06, 2013, 11:23:10 PM »

Hi Guys,

It has been a long time since I visited this forum.  Sorry about that, but I was away.

I recently purchase the above modem/router from eBay auction and I find I am unable to login to the modem using normal Netgear login: admin and password to set it up for my ISP.

Could this modem/router be locked for a particular ISP?  Or is it a duff modem?

Has anyone come across this type of issue?  Help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Archie.

c6em

• Reg Member
Re: Netgear DGND3300v2 Dual Band ADSL2+ Modem/Router
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 07:55:09 AM »

The previous owner would have changed the password....and then not changed it back before they auctioned it.
This is the most likely reason why you cannot get in.

So it needs a 'hard reset' back to the factory settings
Sorry but I'm not myself familiar with netgears and how you do a hard reset - and it may be model dependent.
Hopefully others will be along to help shortly

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 09:50:42 AM »

Not sure about that particular model, but on the netgears its normally just to the left of the power button switch.
 It's a tiny hole that you have to stick a sharp thin object in such as a bent paper clip.   Hold in for about 10-15 seconds and the router lights should start flashing indicating a reset in progress.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 03:42:53 PM »

HAve you tried this

Use the Restore Factory Settings Button

To restore the factory configuration settings when you do not know the administration
password or IP address, you need to use the Restore Factory Settings button on the rear
panel of the N300 wireless modem router.

To restore the factory settings:
  • Press and hold the Restore Factory Settings button until the Power LED turns red
    (about 6 seconds).
  • Release the Restore Factory Settings button and wait for the router to reboot.The Power
    LED blinks red three times and then turns green when the default configuration settings
    have been restored.

PDF can be found here
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/DGND3300V2/DGND3300v2_UM_13Mar12.pdf
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 03:44:59 PM by Berrick »
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

Archie

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 04:58:11 PM »

@ c6em, kitz, & Berrick

Thank ou for your suggestions.  I should have mentioned that I had done the factory reset, which is, as Berrick mentioned, pinhole button next to the power on/off switch.  After that I still did not get any joy.  So, either the product is u/s or it is locked-in to an ISP.  Unfortunately, I did not query with the seller prior to the purchase, which ISP he was with.  Now that I have got it I don't think he would be interested in responding to my query at this stage.

So, any further help will be appreciated.

Many regards,
Archie.

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 06:12:24 PM »

Thought you probably would have, still it wouldn't hurt to fire off an email asking.

If it is locked to an ISP at least you will know which one and can google for a possible fix
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 12:25:41 AM »

Do any (uk) ISPs use this router.   I can't think of any of the usual ISPs that lock down their routers using it.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 12:59:44 AM »

Tried 'admin' and 'admin'?

Archie

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 11:42:17 PM »

@Berrick,  Thank you.  I have fired off the email as you suggested and now waiting for a response.

@kitz, I do not know about ISP locking the routers.  As it is stuck on PPPoE and not allowing me to log in to the modem/router, I assumed it is either faulty or it is locked to an ISP.  I understood from Plusnet Tech team that PPPoE in UK is meant to be used for Fibre.  I am only going by what I have been told.  If I can get to log in to the router, then I can alter it from PPPoE to PPPoA, which is used by ISPs in UK for ADSL bb as I understand from my ISP.

@AlecR, As far I know User Name is admin and Password is password on Netgear router/modem.  So, I haven't yet tried your suggestion.

As I said, I rather wait for the seller to enlighten me on which ISP he had bought it for.

Many Regards,
Archie.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 02:48:41 AM »

>>> PPPoE in UK is meant to be used for Fibre.

Not necessarily, BTs network has supported PPPoE for quite a while.  PPPoA is the preferred method, but either should work.   
AOL used  PPPoE...
... and going back further in time, some routers auto set up as PPPoE and worked just fine on BTw's network... until they got transferred to Tiscali Wholesale's LLU network...  that was fun  :-X
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 04:23:42 PM »

I have a vague recollection of the 'Install Wizard' for a Netgear DG834Gv5 automagically deciding to select PPPoE, even though the service was actually provided via PPPoA . . .  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Archie

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 08:10:58 PM »

Hi Guys,

Thank you all for your help.  It appears that my ISP (Plusnet, though being BT's subsidiary) uses PPPoA for ADSL connections and PPPoE for fibre connections.

I got in touch with Netgear Support and they suggested a number of possible solutions of which the second (of possible 3) suggestion had worked for me.  The modem/router was not locked to an ISP so I managed to sort it and am currently using the DGND3300v2N300 with my ISP.

@ Kitz, you may be very right in saying that not many ISPs use this product.

@ burakkucat.  Hi there.  I think what you suggested about your experience with DG834Gv5 may well been the case with DGND3300v2.  In any case with help from Netgear support I managed to get it operating.

I am now very happy bunny  ;), so thank you all.

Many regards,
Archie.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 11:47:00 PM »

I am now very happy bunny  ;), so thank you all.

Purrfect.  ;D

However for the sake of future searchers who may come across this thread, will you please share the helpful 'words of wisdom' that were provided by Netgear support:-\

Archie

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 07:05:06 PM »

@burakkucat

Thank you and I am glad to supply the words of wisdom from Netgear quoted below:

"Based on the information that you have provided, I would suggest the following steps listed below:
1. Clear Cache: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21168/~/clear-web-browser-cache
2. If you're still unable to login: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/59/~/unable-to-access-router’s-web-administration-interface
3. You may also try connecting your router to another computer to see if you can login from there. It would also be a way for us to properly isolate if the problem is with the router or with the computer that you're using."

If you go to the suggested knowledge base they provide the procedure/s.  Second suggestion allowed me to login to my router.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Archie.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 07:15:23 PM »

Thank you, Archie. Having that documented may help someone else in the future.  :)

Pages: [1] 2