Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Old ECI Modem  (Read 1898 times)

spirie

Old ECI Modem
« on: February 06, 2013, 01:55:27 PM »

Hi all...new here and just wanted to ask if anyone has an old type eci modem that they would be willing to sell (Locked/Unlocked)?

I've had BT Infinity 2 installed about a month ago and still can't believe that there is no way of checking sync speed etc without using either a 3rd party all-in-one VDSL Router/Modem or hacking an openreach modem.   :(

I have a Draytek 2850n, but the sync speed is about 10mbps less on download and the throughput on upload is approx half  :'(

So after giving up with Draytek support and ruining my connection speeds and fastpath profile after so many restarts etc. I have decided to cut my losses and get an unlocked modem ;)

I understand that Huawei modems might not work that well with ECI PCP's - How do you tell what type the PCP is? Or is it read that if you're issued an ECI modem, then you are connected to an ECI cabinet.

I apologise if I have posted this in the wrong section or if these questions have been asked before elsewhere, but as I say I am a newb and still trying to find my way around here  :-[

Kind regards

Shane

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Old ECI Modem
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 03:50:50 PM »

Hi spirie, and welcome to the forums.

The general consensus is that ECI modems work better with ECI cabinets, although how much difference it makes is under debate. Some threads I've read would suggest they get less errors, and are therefore less likely to have error correction turned on, which will reduce the speed.

I did buy an unlocked one, and tried it, but it reported a lower attainable rate than the HG612, then my router threw a wobbly, so I haven't tried since.

It's pretty easy to tell which type cabinet you have, you can tell from the stats, but as you haven't got an unlocked modem you'll need to look at your cabinet, and compare it to the ones here. By the way the PCP is separate to the FTTC cab  ;)

I'm on an ECI cab, and was supplied with an HG612 modem.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 04:12:23 PM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 1147/105  ;D

liamstears

Re: Old ECI Modem
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 09:07:40 PM »

Could sell my unlocked one if the price is right...

anything