Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sky Hub lease times. What are they and can they be changed?  (Read 7110 times)

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
Sky Hub lease times. What are they and can they be changed?
« on: January 02, 2013, 10:25:29 PM »

What exactly is the lease renewal.

Is it anything I should be concerned about?

Checking the log for my Sky Hub SR101 I find that the lease renews approx. every 15 minutes.

???

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Sky Hub lease times. What are they and can they be changed?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 04:59:13 PM »

Lease renewal is about issuing your internal devices connected by ethernet and wifi with IP addresses.

This is to do with your routers and all routers have different renewal times, sometimes if you're having issues connecting devices setting a longer renewal time will often fix things, but I would say, if it is all working fine - then nothing to worry about :)
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 08:44:13 PM »

Thanks for the reply Jid,

:)

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 11:45:46 PM »

actually - the one your seeing in the SR101 log is for ADSL IP and not internal network IP's (although what jid says still stands) - for whatever reason sky force their routers to renew the IP lease every 15 minutes or what not - I dont know why, I think its only MER connections they do this on (but could be wrong)...is yours connected via MER?  - if you ever swap sky (MER) routers around you will find that the new one will not connect until the new lease has come through, however if you put in a non-Sky (MER) router you force PPPoA and it will work instantly, and same coming from PPPoA to MER, it is only switching between MER routers that you have to wait
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

anything