Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Is BT a fit custodian of ADSL?  (Read 3367 times)

hake

• Reg Member
  • Owzat! On ya way, back to the pavilion!
Is BT a fit custodian of ADSL?
« on: December 30, 2012, 10:07:20 AM »

Bellingham postmistress lends own money after internet loss

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-20864667

So much for HM Government wanting everyone to be 'on line'.  In these days of private enterprise, you're on your own.
Windows XP

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Is BT a fit custodian of ADSL?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 11:29:47 AM »

Oops.

I would like to know how installation of a private broadband line could affect something so vital as a business link for Post Office transactions.   :-\
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 03:47:52 PM »

Posting from a personal point of view:

Becuase it's BT hahaha  >:D
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

smurfuk

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 03:36:24 PM »

So as BT are so useless, why don't the brilliant Zen launch a takeover bid with the benefit of all the excess oil revenues sloshing about in sovereign wealth funds just looking for the better return than available elsewhere on the market that Zen's brilliance will deliver ha ha ha [wicked face]?

But seriously hasn't Post Office Counters Limited heard of contingency planning? I've heard of other vulnerable people being left without telephone service for weeks, even months, on end when BT, Councils and other Undertakers are involved, so many who should know better seem to find it difficult to live up to their policy hype. There but for the grace of God  . . .
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 03:45:19 PM by smurfuk »

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 03:26:29 PM »

Oops.

I would like to know how installation of a private broadband line could affect something so vital as a business link for Post Office transactions.   :-\
I was wondering that as well  :-\
Mike

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 06:01:32 PM »

So as BT are so useless, why don't the brilliant Zen launch a takeover bid with the benefit of all the excess oil revenues sloshing about in sovereign wealth funds just looking for the better return than available elsewhere on the market that Zen's brilliance will deliver ha ha ha [wicked face]?

I have brought up the idea but Richard wants to spend it on the infrastructre here first and then extend .. pffft what an idea making a stable platform to work off.   ::)

... But seriously hasn't Post Office Counters Limited heard of contingency planning? I've heard of other vulnerable people being left without telephone service for weeks, even months, on end when BT, Councils and other Undertakers are involved, so many who should know better seem to find it difficult to live up to their policy hype. There but for the grace of God  . . .

Backup line ... haha who would of thought.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 06:22:35 PM »

All PO's used to have an ISDN as a 'Back up' line. You can bet your bottom dollar that their bean-counters decided to do away with it.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 04:14:45 PM »

I remember that PO project.

I got a call asking if I could pick up a particular task. This one with a very surly note. To install a line with an nte under the counter just by the site for the router. Should have been installed a couple of weeks before, but the contractor was unable to find the NTE.

Got to the post office, the post mistress pointed out the site of the router and the previous contractor was swearing and turning the place upside down looking for the nte's to connect the router.

I barely had to bend down. to see it. An Nte2000 with a nte9 next to it, Plugged in. confirmed the correct line with the correct number as marked with the little stickers that were neatly stuck on the nte's ?   :-\ Odd, the post mistress thought it odd too (should have gone to specsavers)

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 06:16:35 PM »

Postmistress; isn't that a married man's cast off lady friend?
May be if the postmistress was a looker, he would have been distracted by the view under the counter. >:D ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 12:03:53 PM »

All PO's used to have an ISDN as a 'Back up' line. You can bet your bottom dollar that their bean-counters decided to do away with it.

Probably - especially since the cost of ISDN can be more than that of ADSL.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker