Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New Year Caution !  (Read 2909 times)

JGO

• Reg Member
New Year Caution !
« on: December 29, 2012, 04:41:36 PM »

It is received wisdom that more RAM is always A GOOD THING ! and so may form a New Year resolution. However as my experience shows it isn't always that simple.

I decided to up the RAM from 2*0.5 Gb sticks to 2*1 Gb.
However this was far from straightforward. Summarising the results, 1 + 0.5 Gb worked OK but 1+1 dropped the clock from 200MHz to 163MHz !

Fortunatly I had met a similar problem but the explanation may be worth posting.
The 200 MHz is timed by an 18.2 MHz crystal running on it's 11th overtone.(18.2 *11 = 200MHz  in round numbers)  The extra loading of 2Gb of RAM, probably capacitive, was too much for the circuit so it flipped to the next lower overtone, the 9th at about 163MHz.

As to results, I haven't yet seen much change from the original ! altough on another computer photo editing was much faster.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Re: New Year Caution !
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 11:21:55 PM »

I could be wide of the mark here, but are your 2 x 1Gb sticks identical manufacturer/spec?

If they're a matching pair, the motherboard may well run them at a  faster speed than if they're not matching.

On some computers, this can be over-ridden though - so you can run them faster anyway. 

Just a thought.

Ian

JGO

• Reg Member
Re: New Year Caution !
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 08:00:38 AM »

They came in a Twin pack and one works faster with a 0.5 of another manufacturer ! 
No it comes down to digital circuit designers still "knowing" that Buffer = Amplifier not Isolator.

"In our profession, precision and perfection are not a dispensable luxury, but a simple necessity."
    —Niklaus Wirth, "A Few Words with Niklaus Wirth". Dr Carlo Pescio (June 1997)

Happy New Year 

anything